General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Build dates - tracking arrival in US

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 09:11 AM
mav
Originally Posted by FondaFit
My Fit Sport (AT) is on order officially and I got the price quote of $15,970 MSRP plus $550 delivery charge, total of $16,520. By the time they added in 6% state sales tax, dealer prep tag-on of $395, registration fee, etc. it came in a little over $18,000.
$395 dealer prep fee? Tell them that you are not paying that. No one pays for dealer prep, which essentially is them ripping off the plastic that the factory puts on to protect the car during shipping/transport and doing basic checks like fluid levels and tire psi.

Originally Posted by azanon
I think my salesman is going to need a bit of help when my car comes in because when i tried to explain what i was agreeing too, i mentioned MSRP + destination charge, then he interjected and said "oh, the destination charge is included in the MSRP". I wasn't going to argue with him. He can charge me $550 less if he insists.
Do you have this in writing? If not, get it. Once its in writing, they can't back out of it.

Old 03-28-2006, 09:18 AM
Do you have this in writing? If not, get it. Once its in writing, they can't back out of it.
Well, i definitely intend to remind him of it when i go back for the actual sell, but i'm sure he'll realize his error sometime between now and then. He must have been really new to not realize destination charge is extra.

Old 03-28-2006, 09:28 AM
Well, my dealership's Fits are in Longbeach! They'll be loading them onto trains to get them here to the east coast. We should have them in 2 weeks according to IN.
Russ

Old 03-28-2006, 09:32 AM
Always get everything in writing. The dealer should have had you sign a buyers order. The buyers order states exactly what is to be paid to whom and when. This protects the buyer, salesperson, and dealership. I would go back to the dealership and ask for one, then go over the numbers. If there's something there you don't agree with, talk to the salesperson, but don't sign until it's what you want.
Russ

Old 03-28-2006, 11:15 AM
Always get everything in writing. The dealer should have had you sign a buyers order. The buyers order states exactly what is to be paid to whom and when. This protects the buyer, salesperson, and dealership. I would go back to the dealership and ask for one, then go over the numbers. If there's something there you don't agree with, talk to the salesperson, but don't sign until it's what you want.
Russ
I have a buyer's order he gave me that says "MSRP+Splash guards" and "Free tinting + 2 oil changes", but it doesn't specify the amounts. Remember, i haven't paid for the car yet; he only has a $500 deposit check. They said they would only hold the check, not cash it. So far, they haven't cashed it as promised (I checked).

If it came down to it, and i wasn't satisfied with the final amount when i go to buy the car, we'll see who's faster; me cancelling a check or them depositing it. I'll make sure I go in the morning, so I have plenty of time to make that check worth exactly the value of the paper its written on should that becomes necessary.

Azanon

Old 03-28-2006, 11:19 AM
I have a buyer's order he gave me that says "MSRP+Splash guards" and "Free tinting + 2 oil changes", but it doesn't specify the amounts.
Maybe its now a buyer's order. Its entitled "We Owe:" Fit Sport AT, etc Anyway, i also put a bunch of details in the memo area of the check too(that its a deposit for a car, etc).

Old 03-28-2006, 03:38 PM
misc

... the more I thought about not having a buyer's order, the more it bothered me knowing they have a $500 dollar deposit check of mine So, i just cancelled it. They'll never be the wiser unless the negotiating goes south when i come back to pay for the car. I just have no idea whether they're going to try to stick me with a bunch of bogus fees when i come back, and i'll feel a lot more safe now knowing that deposit check is no good.

I dont intend to be a jerk though. I am going to buy the car as long as they just charge me MSRP + destination fees, and do the free tinting they said they would. Where i live, tax/registration is done at the revenue office, not the dealership.

Old 03-29-2006, 03:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by azanon
Well, i definitely intend to remind him of it when i go back for the actual sell, but i'm sure he'll realize his error sometime between now and then. He must have been really new to not realize destination charge is extra.
The salesman forgot about or didn't know that there is a $550 destination fee. By the time the contract was in final form for signature, though, his manager had checked the numbers and adjusted the price upward. It was all accurate according to my calculations, starting with an MSRP of $15,970 for the Fit Sport with AT. He didn't try to sell me tack on items like interior and exterior coatings. He said because I went through him as internet manager, they would include free oil & filter changes and tire rotations, but that wasn't in the contract. I don't want to be held to anything other than the price of the car. I signed and he promised that he would call the moment it arrived and no one else would touch it. Due date is April 20, might be April 19; I'll have a "fit" if it's any later than that. Two other Fits are arriving with it, so they'll have a couple to put in the showroom.

Old 03-29-2006, 04:14 PM
Another article I found at theStar.com:

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...d=970599119419

Old 03-30-2006, 01:52 AM
5 Year Member
How long are they going to do free oil change and tire rotation?
I am going to shoot for that as well as free tinting. Any tips on how to throw these kind of things in the deal? How did you guys get them to agree?

Old 03-30-2006, 08:44 AM
mav
Just simply ask or say you went to x dealer down the street and they offered you x, y and z and this price, are you are able to match it? Even if it isn't true, if the offer is reasonable and you're not asking for something below cost, they may work with you on it.

Old 04-01-2006, 09:52 PM
burm,
I guess there will always be those sleazy types in every business but it really hurts when its for an expensive purchase like a car or a house.

Old 04-01-2006, 10:25 PM
Originally Posted by mav
Just simply ask or say you went to x dealer down the street and they offered you x, y and z and this price, are you are able to match it? Even if it isn't true, if the offer is reasonable and you're not asking for something below cost, they may work with you on it.
But also be prepare to hear "Why don't you go to X,Y and Z dealer?"
My Buddy's dad is a salemen at Honda Dealer and heard that story too many times. Just need to shop around and find a honest saleman to get freebies. Pretty sure you can get at least $1000 off from the total cost if people willing to shop around

Kevin L

Old 04-02-2006, 04:58 PM
I will be surprised if you get a grand off on a car that probably grosses a dealership that much from the MSRP if that.
Plus the fact that some of these jokers may own two or three stores in the general area and you're not really getting any bargaining traction on negotiations.
The salesperson doesn't set the price nor close the deal at a price. Its the management that decides whether the salesperson will sell it to you for what he and you agreed. Check out the fine print.
If a manager hasn't signed, the fat lady has not sung!
Either you want it for what they are charging or you wait until they get a little more plentiful. Its all a matter of supply and demand, it seems.

Old 04-02-2006, 06:05 PM
I ordered the top of the line (because they are priced nicely). With tax, svc fees etc............I paid $16,609.00.