General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

turbo/supercharger MPG???

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 12:15 PM
5 Year Member
turbo/supercharger MPG???

Hey just woundering what u turboed and supercharged guys are looking at for MPG numbers. I know it wont be the same as stock. I am looking into geting one or the other and to see some numbers on the MPG will help my decison on this matter. Also i know turbo guys have to have at least 91oct but how about u supercharged guys?? Thanks for any help on this. Its just i figure if i can still get around 30-34 MPG turboed or supercharged why not its not to costly and its cheaper than me trading in the fit and get a faster car.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:16 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
nope, ur mpg will be around 25. thats what mine is at but i have a heavy foot.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:18 PM
Master FitFaker. CHEA!
it all depends how you drive it man.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:19 PM
5 Year Member
Oh thanks dam hope fully supercharger guys will chime in on this. IF thats the case for turbo i won't get one. U have the T1R or hks

Old 02-05-2009, 12:20 PM
Master FitFaker. CHEA!
well don't stay in boost
if you tend to stay out of boost it should be just as normal as an NA car i would presume.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 08fithappy
Hey just woundering what u turboed and supercharged guys are looking at for MPG numbers. I know it wont be the same as stock. I am looking into geting one or the other and to see some numbers on the MPG will help my decison on this matter. Also i know turbo guys have to have at least 91oct but how about u supercharged guys?? Thanks for any help on this. Its just i figure if i can still get around 30-34 MPG turboed or supercharged why not its not to costly and its cheaper than me trading in the fit and get a faster car.
I'm sure you'll get the extra power your looking for but it will still cost more overall to maintain. Like early oil changes and having to run 91 all the time etc etc.

Originally Posted by Kyle is raaddd
well don't stay in boost
if you tend to stay out of boost it should be just as normal as an NA car i would presume.
And i think superchargers get worse mileage. Like you said, i think it should be fine if your not boosting all the time. But i doubt mileage will be as good as stock.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:27 PM
Master FitFaker. CHEA!
Originally Posted by AnlDyxp_GD3
And i think superchargers get worse mileage. Like you said, i think it should be fine if your not boosting all the time. But i doubt mileage will be as good as stock.
yeah, and you shouldn't be losing too much,
all depends on how you drive it.

and superchargers are always in boost

Old 02-05-2009, 12:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Kyle is raaddd
yeah, and you shouldn't be losing too much,
all depends on how you drive it.

and superchargers are always in boost
But than again, if you've got turbo. Why wouldnt you want to boost! LOL! I know i would be boosting if i HAD boost

Old 02-05-2009, 12:35 PM
Like any MPG, it boils down to how much throttle and several other factors.

Gas Mileage on a forced induction car can get more specific when you are dealing with larger injectors and don't forget to mention different sizes of turbos/compressors affecting how much volume is being pushed through the motor. More air more fuel more power.

You can drive a turbocharged vehicle and stay out of boost, or very little if any, for the most part. Just like driving an NA car, light throttle and other things will yield better mileage.

There are several things that impact your gas mileage in different ways but if you are looking for a basic answer, yes a turbo or supercharger will consume more fuel but how much depends on your driving.

Last edited by Nabisco; 02-05-2009 at 12:40 PM.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:57 PM
5 Year Member
Ok guys i know it depends on ur style of driving i had a evo which is stock truboed so i know u can stay out of boost and all of that. I would be in boost thats why i want a turbo. Woundering what guys and gals that use the trubo/ supercharger are geting for MPG just a estmate. and really i know alot about turbos on my evo i was lucky to get 18mpg. So i want to know what u guys are geting thanks

Old 02-05-2009, 02:33 PM
5 Year Member
I think i remember JDMchris saying his mpg only dropped by 2mpg with his supercharger? so probably around 28mpg? But like kelsodeez said, if you drive hard you'd probably go down to around 25. Which is not too bad, well for me anyways, my last car got 11mpg. LOL!

Old 02-05-2009, 03:24 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
jdmchris got 41mpg when running the low boost kit.

i think he said his typical was around low 30's.
there was an article in siphon magazine about jdmchris's car vs. stock in mpg.
his car only got like 1 or 2 mpg worse than the stock fit and he was running the standard kraftwerk kit.

Old 02-05-2009, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by kylerwho
jdmchris got 41mpg when running the low boost kit.

i think he said his typical was around low 30's.
there was an article in siphon magazine about jdmchris's car vs. stock in mpg.
his car only got like 1 or 2 mpg worse than the stock fit and he was running the standard kraftwerk kit.
It really depends on how you drive.. my worst tank since boost was 380kms and my best was 480kms. All city driving in/out of boost. I'll let you guys figure out the mpg conversion.

I haven't had a chance to see what I could do on the highway yet, but as long as I drive normal I think that I would get similar mileage to pre-boost numbers.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:16 PM
5 Year Member
cool that is what i was looking for. I usally get around 39-43mpg on my fit now so i just wanted to see. If i can get in the low 30s still i will get one thanks

Old 02-05-2009, 05:32 PM
5 Year Member
I average 28-30mpg normal city/highway driving. Heavier foot days was 25mpg at worst with a/c and passengers. I get 34mpg out of town highway driving. I'd say roughly 10% mpg loss on a turbo. I don't ever drive to save gas. It's still cheap for us Fits!!!!!

Old 02-05-2009, 05:35 PM
Get clear in your mind early on exactly what you are expecting from the addition of a turbo to your daily driver. Aftermarket turbo-charging is not to be compared to OEM turbos ever! OE turbos have the advantage of a large team of well-paid engineers thinking about things like longevity and service life of wear items. Aftermarket comapnies, even good ones like HKS and Kraftwerks are after one thing only, better performance. Even if you went with the HKS 5lb boost kit your factory reliability goes right out the window. And when you start screwing around with high flow injectors, custom fuel maps, larger compressor housings, and non-spec boost levels you end up with a finicky, tempermental, un-reliable high performance machine. If good gas mileage is what you are after, you already have it, if high performance is what you are after you already had it. The question is, which one do you really want?

Old 02-05-2009, 06:06 PM
5 Year Member
siphon did an article about the kraftwerks kit and compared MPG to a stock Fit and noticed minimal MPG difference.... they did drive both cars hard throughout the test....

Old 02-05-2009, 06:22 PM
5 Year Member
it just depends on how you drive

Old 02-05-2009, 09:17 PM
5 Year Member
I agree to a point

Wise u are but even with a turbo i would not call the fit a high performance machine. But i get what u are geting at really i know this fit did not come stock with a turbo it will never drive like it was stock with a turbo. I don't want great MPG. This is what i am geting at i want a good car that is also a ok performance car. I like the fact that the fit is cheap on insurance $93 for full coverage, i like that its a honda and cheap to maintain, i like that it gets great MPG. I dislike that it is slow as a turtle on geting up speed. So i figure try a turbo for that give it a little pep that it needs but i won't ever really race it or even put it boost all that much. The highest i ever reved it was 4,000 Rpms and that was maybe about 5 times ever. I just think its cheaper and a better idea for me to spend 4-5k on turboing or supercharging the fit than spending 10-25k on a high performance car like a evo,s2000,integra type R. With these performance cars i will get the fun factor i want but i wont have cheap insurance or maintaince, plus the extra cost of the car itself. So i figure its cheaper to turbo the fit than to buy a stock car that is a good performance car. Now am i insane for thinking this way. So what do u fitfreaks think save up for a seperate weekend warrior car or get a turbo/supercharge the fit thanks so far guys and glas out there

Originally Posted by grtpumpkin
Get clear in your mind early on exactly what you are expecting from the addition of a turbo to your daily driver. Aftermarket turbo-charging is not to be compared to OEM turbos ever! OE turbos have the advantage of a large team of well-paid engineers thinking about things like longevity and service life of wear items. Aftermarket comapnies, even good ones like HKS and Kraftwerks are after one thing only, better performance. Even if you went with the HKS 5lb boost kit your factory reliability goes right out the window. And when you start screwing around with high flow injectors, custom fuel maps, larger compressor housings, and non-spec boost levels you end up with a finicky, tempermental, un-reliable high performance machine. If good gas mileage is what you are after, you already have it, if high performance is what you are after you already had it. The question is, which one do you really want?

Old 02-06-2009, 04:22 PM
I am in the enviable position of already having a "fun" car to play around with so my answer to your question is easy. However: i can see your logic in not wanting to shell out big money for a weekend car. Also, having owned the Evo you are in a better position to say what the cost of owning one really is (gas, insurance, routine replacement items like tires and brakes etc) I really like the idea of a Miata because they can be gotten for cheap (3,500 to 5,500K for an older one in decent condition, less if you want just a roller) modded for very cheap, and are fun to race in because they are competitive when modded reasonably. I live very close to Summit Point Motorsports park and I can tell you that the Miata is a very popular car amoung the hobbyist racers out here. My "weekday" car must be reliable as the tide as my commute is 65 miles one way, so, for me, the weekend car is the place to spend my "mad money" in earnest. Of course, I'm a hopeless modder so the Fit gets some love too......

Quick Reply: turbo/supercharger MPG???