General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Front License Plate: Who Uses Them?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 01:45 PM
Front License Plate: Who Uses Them?

Title says it all. I live in Texas where it is illegal not to have two license plates. Any of my fellow Fit owners in Texas or elsewhere decide to nix the front license plate in favor of aesthetics? I'm really thinking about going this route. Opinions?

Best,

Dave

Old 02-03-2009, 01:49 PM
it is illegal here in oregon. never had my license in the front and never had any problems....

thats till i had to park in parking meters...those ticket fairies can write you a ticket for not having a front license plate. been caught 7 times already, so i decided to put it on.

blah.

Old 02-03-2009, 02:09 PM
5 Year Member
It's illegal here in California as well. But I've passed by cops with no front plate + tint and they don't seem to care *knock on wood*. Just don't draw attention to yourself and cops will leave you alone. It helps when your car doesn't scream MODDED HONDA too.

Where in Carrollton do you live? I went to R.L. Turner High School! Good memories

Old 02-03-2009, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator
You need a front Plate here in MN as well, I ditched mine the first week I had the car. I have even been pulled over for speeding and no mention of the front plate. It might realy have to do where you live and how the police are but for the most part I try and not draw attention to my self and the police leave me alone.

Old 02-03-2009, 02:35 PM
SuperMario,

I live near Trinity Mills and Marsh Lane. I taught Social Studies at Turner during the Spring semester 2005.

Best,

Dave

Old 02-03-2009, 02:49 PM
I've received 3 tickets in the past for not having a front license plate... all while my car was parked. With my luck... I have come to a point where I feel the ugliness of a front license plate does not outweigh the cost of those annoying tickets.

Old 02-03-2009, 02:56 PM
5 Year Member
i was stopped one night while driving my EP3, probably because i was the only car on the road. he claimed that i was speeding (which i wasn't) then the cop walked around the car and let me go without a ticket (because i didn't do anything) but warned me to put my front license plate on.

i didn't put it on.

my wife and i have not had our license plates on since we got our GD3s. i've had mine about a year and she's had hers almost 2 years. we haven't been stopped yet.

but if you have other illegal mods under the hood (i.e. cat delete, non-carb legal turbo, etc.), i would put the front plate on. no reason to draw more attention to yourself if you're trying to hide bigger ticket items from the fuzz.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by D.S.Brown
Title says it all. I live in Texas where it is illegal not to have two license plates. Any of my fellow Fit owners in Texas or elsewhere decide to nix the front license plate in favor of aesthetics? I'm really thinking about going this route. Opinions?

Best,

Dave
Pretty strict here in California. I do everything I can to NOT get pulled over.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:33 PM
5 Year Member
2009... i can still get away with that "new car" sticker on the winshield. plus, non lowered, no dark tint, and no "blue" tacky headlights.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:34 PM
5 Year Member
From what I understand it varies by city or county here in SoCal. About 50% of the cars on the road have no front plate, though, and I've never had a problem.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mole177
2009... i can still get away with that "new car" sticker on the winshield. plus, non lowered, no dark tint, and no "blue" tacky headlights.
Same here for me. Its not that horrible to have one on considering that its not even drilled onto the front of the bumper but on the bottom

Old 02-03-2009, 05:35 PM
5 Year Member
i had no front tags for 2 months since i was waiting for my temp tag to expire good 2 months............ now i got a plate in the front........ stupid laws.

Old 02-03-2009, 06:44 PM
In all of the half dozen states I've lived in it's been required, and I just keep it on. The (debatable) aesthetic improvement isn't worth the (potential) hassle. Giving cops an excuse to pull you over doesn't make sense to me.

Although the way mine came from Carmax the front plate is mounted poorly, and the frame has worn a spot through the paint & to the plastic of the bumper. Gonna have to remount it & then take it someplace to get the paint touched up. I also noticed a teensy amount of rust around one of the rear license plate mount points, gotta get that taken care of before it gets expensive. Although I suppose that one's underneath the rear plate, so I could just grind it down & hit it with some rustoleum, and noone would be the wiser.

Old 02-03-2009, 06:49 PM
5 Year Member
illegal in Illinois, but I have been front plateless on all my cars since about 1990. However my wife insists on having one on her daily driver.

Old 02-03-2009, 06:54 PM
5 Year Member
the only reason i use mine is my dealer felt the need to punch holes in my bumper to secure the plate.... yay!

Old 02-03-2009, 10:17 PM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by D.S.Brown

Best,

Dave
You can do what you want. All I know is that in my last car (my son's car now), the front plate would get ripped off every time I took the car through the auto-wash. Well, one time I forgot to put it back on, and then I lost the plate. Totally forgot about it, and it must have been at least a year, maybe 2. Then I got pulled over for speeding, and the cop wrote me a nasty ticket, added the lack of a front plate, AND I had to go to DPS and get a new set of plates on top of it all.

The NEXT DAY, after I had just paid about $200 total I got pulled over AGAIN because a cop ran my plates and they didn't match my car. (The numbers hadn't been changed by DPS yet). I was blubbering all over the place and the cop didn't write me up again or arrest me, I'm sure he thought I was just insane but I couldn't figure out why all of a sudden half the cops in the area seemed to be interested only in pulling me over.

Long story even longer...My opinion is - follow the law.

I have a front plate and you can see that it's just more advertising for FitFreak.net.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:57 PM
South Carolina doesn't use the front plate, just the rear. I'm in the military so I just keep the car reg. in SC. The tint law is as far as I know still 28% as well so I can keep it decently dark without any issues.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Super Mario
It's illegal here in California as well. But I've passed by cops with no front plate + tint and they don't seem to care *knock on wood*. Just don't draw attention to yourself and cops will leave you alone. It helps when your car doesn't scream MODDED HONDA too.

Where in Carrollton do you live? I went to R.L. Turner High School! Good memories
Word, same HS I went to. I live in Carrollton still.

Dave, I don't have my front license plate on. I haven't had a problem with the PO's yet. I've been pulled over, but thats for going a little fast. They did not write me one though.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:16 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
i use one. if its a law, just make it look good. i.e. tilted or off set

Old 02-03-2009, 11:26 PM
5 Year Member
i've never used them, most likely never will.

no problems yet, my area in texas isnt as strict although i do know friends here that have been pulled over for tint,plate, etc

im limo'd all the way around + illegal strip on the front windshield with no front plate and even had a tinted cover over my rear plate that i took off because i wanted the white to "pop" on my car to flow along with the wheels.

hopefully i dont have any issues in the near future *knocks on wood*

Quick Reply: Front License Plate: Who Uses Them?