General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Model Change For Na In 08????

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 12:28 PM
Model Change For Na In 08????

Ok I Need To Know Is There Definitly Gonna Be A Model Change For Na In 08' Or What????and If So What Will Be The Changes???

Old 03-12-2006, 01:27 PM
5 Year Member
I dont think anyone here knows for certain when we will get the next gen Fit... all speculation at this point.

Old 03-12-2006, 01:31 PM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
If you look at the number of plants that build the Fit/Jazz, odds are they will be converting a few each year. Until Honda decides what market gets the revised model first, no one can tell for sure.

I won't wait 18+ months to get a new car.

Old 03-12-2006, 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by b17gsr
If you look at the number of plants that build the Fit/Jazz, odds are they will be converting a few each year. Until Honda decides what market gets the revised model first, no one can tell for sure.

I won't wait 18+ months to get a new car.
haha ha tru dat, i want the fit!!! and i want it now!!!!

Old 03-12-2006, 05:29 PM
So is the fit coming here a totally new platform? Or has it already gone through it's first year bugs?

Old 03-12-2006, 08:26 PM
Avid FitFreak Poster
They are changing the Fit/Jazz platforms worldwide in '08 I beleive. So if the Fits are selling well in the NA market expect them to be looking different aswell...

Old 03-12-2006, 09:40 PM
Originally Posted by Halo
So is the fit coming here a totally new platform? Or has it already gone through it's first year bugs?
It's based on the chassis used in Japan since 2001.

Old 03-13-2006, 01:45 PM
I do not think Honda will release the Fit only to change it the following year. They are adding the air bags, larger bumpers, and an engine just for the NA market. The cycle for model changes are running 5 years with a freshened up model offered for the 4 and 5 year of the model production. I dont this the Fit will be changed before 2011

Old 03-13-2006, 01:52 PM
Well if the Fit has been around for 6 years then the model change should immenant if not already past due..

Old 03-13-2006, 02:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hondafitguy
I do not think Honda will release the Fit only to change it the following year. They are adding the air bags, larger bumpers, and an engine just for the NA market. The cycle for model changes are running 5 years with a freshened up model offered for the 4 and 5 year of the model production. I dont this the Fit will be changed before 2011
Larger bumpers was an easy change. Adding side curtains wasn't that big of a deal either. The L15 VTEC engine is not an NA only engine. The 5AT with paddles is NA unique though, but its not that big of change either.

Honda does have a 5 year design cycle, but the Fit is already a 5 year old design. I seriously doubt it will be 2011 when NA gets the next gen Fit. The subcompact class will soon become very competitive, and it would be wise for Honda to release the next gen Fit earlier than 2011.

Old 03-13-2006, 02:35 PM
Well everything I have read indicates a redesign for 08..really don't want to wait anymore for a car but who knows maybe the redesign will be worth it..I am praying to the Honda gods for double wishbones, I don't give a crap about a flat floor

Old 03-13-2006, 03:39 PM
5 Year Member
Keep praying but you know Honda isnt going to put front double wishbones on the Fit or Civic anytime soon.

The FG2 Civic Si shows that you can have front struts and good handling at the same time.

Old 03-13-2006, 03:40 PM
I don't see Honda as having expended the considerable capital to crash-certify the GD Fit chassis in the United States to only use it for one year. That does not make sense from a business standpoint.

An '08 redesign might refer to actual sales in '08, rather than the '08 model year, indicating a 2-year gap, but I think that even that might be stretching sensibility.

The GD Fit is in every way competitive with the new platforms from Nissan and Toyota, Honda has no real reason to mess with a good thing. Honda also typically allows their platforms to run a bit longer than the competition's. The NSX ran for 15 years, the DC2 ran for like 7, and the EK ran for a bit over 5 (I might be off a bit here or there on these).

Old 03-13-2006, 05:15 PM
5 Year Member
With respect to Honda and its expenditures, did you know they spent $20M US to change the rear ends of the 2006 Accords even though the Full Model Change will occur in 2007. Thats a whole lot of cash I think.

I agree that the current Fit is very competitive; the only thing lacking is that it isnt built with the ACE body structure.

About your comment about Honda platform life being stretched, I dont think it's necessarily a good thing. The NSX was long overdue to be redesigned, and Honda just ignored it. The NSX died a horrible death, what a shame.

Another tidbit of information to consider. If Honda really is coming out with a hybrid Fit, it almost certainly will appear on the next gen Fit platform. Rumor has it that a hybrid Fit will appear as early as '07...

Old 03-13-2006, 06:15 PM
Well the last thing I want is to buy a Fit in May, and have it be obsolete in a year, aarrrggghhh

Old 03-13-2006, 06:50 PM
5 Year Member
I agree. That's why I am going to wait as long as possible to get the Fit. Or at least until I get some firm intel about when the next gen Fit is coming.

Old 03-13-2006, 07:16 PM
Bahh, the sooner they change the model the better, will make the 2007 Fit unique.

I don't care about having a car that's one generation old, others need the latest and greatest.

Old 03-13-2006, 08:46 PM
More Hybrid stuff, hope it's not already old news?

HYPER ECONOMY.

For one thing, a gas-electric version of the Fit -- or Jazz as it's called in Europe -- would likely deliver big-time on fuel efficiency. The straight gasoline-burning versions of the Fit, which will be introduced in the U.S. in April, offer a 1.5-liter engine, while in other markets, 1.2-liter and 1.3-liter versions are available. The Nikkei reports Honda is planning an even smaller 1-liter engine version for the hybrid, which should deliver fuel economy similar to the Toyota (TM) Prius: average 55 miles per gallon.

"This will be Honda's hyper-fuel economy option," says Kurt Sanger, an ****yst at Macquarie Securities in Tokyo. That would certainly mark a change from some recent additions to the hybrid pantheon. The new Lexus GS450h hybrid, which goes on sale later this year, will sprint from 0 to 60 mph in about 5 seconds, but will have about half the fuel efficiency of the Prius. Similarly, Honda's top-of-the-range hybrid Accord, which commands a $3,000 premium, averages about 28 miles per gallon.

Perhaps more important, the hybrid version of the Fit won't be a budget buster. The Nikkei reckons it will cost around $11,800 in Japan -- just $1,700 more than a conventional Fit. That makes it considerably cheaper than Honda's new, larger Civic hybrid. That model went on sale in the U.S. last year for $21,000. [see BW Online, 9/15/05, "Civic Minded at Honda"]

http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/060313/244/g6ble.html

Old 03-13-2006, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by b17gsr
Bahh, the sooner they change the model the better, will make the 2007 Fit unique.

I don't care about having a car that's one generation old, others need the latest and greatest.

Well I said the samething when I bought my 04 Si now look at the si...or when I bought my 02 Acura CL-S instead of waiting one year and getting the 6speed..or let's not forget the 05 element owner who hated the unpainted fenders and in 06 they come painted...see where I am going with this? I would feel like a tit on hog if I bought the Fit in April and 9 months later it comes with cvt, sunroof, cruise, better mpg.etc, etc.

Last edited by Halo; 03-13-2006 at 08:57 PM.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:59 PM
There's always a possibility that the next model year will have something better, or something worse. People that are so worried about what a manufacturer might bring to market the following year shouldn't be buying a new car. They won't enjoy it, because they will be afraid of what might happen the following year.

There's always the opposite. In 1999, Acura didn't offer the ITR in the US, odds are those that waited for a 1999 screwed themselves. Same thing happened in the 1970s, power went down due to emissions and the gas crisis.

Quick Reply: Model Change For Na In 08????