General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

2 oz acetone per 10 gal improves MPG 5-20% !!!???

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 11:06 AM

WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Acetone is a very strong solvent. One of the things it is good as dissolving is styrofoam. Your gas guage works by a reading given by the height of a foam float inside the tank (at least it is in most vehicles, havent looked inside a fit's tank).

Acetone improving gas mileage was tested my Mythbusters and although their results aren't always perfect, it was a pretty good test. They showed a small decrease in mpg.

I used to work for a gas station and I can tell you that when the gas company "waters down" gasoline acetone is what they use. They can't use water for obvious reasons. We had a shipment of gasoline once we recieved about 40 complaints that week about peoples gas guages not working after filling up at our store. Corporate sent us a case of "Dragon Power" fuel system cleaner to hand out to customers for free when they signed a waiver. The fuel cleaner of course did nothing.

Old 05-02-2009, 02:46 PM
Ok... I read about this on the net and one thing came to my mind that you guys haven't addressed and it's kind of important. In the manual, it states that you shouldn't use low-grade fuels because they contains a chemical that could potentially cause damage to the inside of the gas tank. Apparently the inside is made of some plastic material that can be dissolved by that type of fuel. Regarding ACETONE, I read that it dissolves plastics. So, the question is... will ACETONE cause damage to my fuel tank? Anyone? I'm not a chemist or anything, just a computer geek.
-any help woudl be great. I'm ready to boost my MPG!
--alphanumeric

Old 05-02-2009, 03:02 PM
Fit Gadget Freak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by theloxmyth
Sorry, Charlie

Initially, I was excited to encounter info on the www concerning toluene and acetone.

Now, after speaking with a client of mine, I believe these items WILL NOT enhance fuel economy nor performance.

The client worked for Chrysler for 15 years in their R&R department.

He now lives and works here.

These are some of his publications for sale...KP (CLICKABLE*)

Mention me if you buy something from his site.

Maybe, then, he'll keep using me for his locks!

*No monies, present or future, were exchanged for this link placement!
repeating this advice. (Notice I'm NOT yelling. )

Old 05-03-2009, 09:09 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by alphaNumeric
Ok... I read about this on the net and one thing came to my mind that you guys haven't addressed and it's kind of important. In the manual, it states that you shouldn't use low-grade fuels because they contains a chemical that could potentially cause damage to the inside of the gas tank. Apparently the inside is made of some plastic material that can be dissolved by that type of fuel. Regarding ACETONE, I read that it dissolves plastics. So, the question is... will ACETONE cause damage to my fuel tank? Anyone? I'm not a chemist or anything, just a computer geek.
-any help woudl be great. I'm ready to boost my MPG!
--alphanumeric

You need to read more of the posts on this subject. Acetone will damage or dissolve many of the seals and gaskets found in automotive fuel systems and by many technical references are not advised for additive to gasoline. As a chemical engineer I have had eperience with aetone and I vouch for those warnings.
Stop and think: if acetone were good for mpg wouldn't you expect gasolines would contain it? All oil refineries have access to acetone easily so if they don't use it why should you?

Old 05-03-2009, 11:14 AM
???

Originally Posted by mahout
You need to read more of the posts on this subject. Acetone will damage or dissolve many of the seals and gaskets found in automotive fuel systems and by many technical references are not advised for additive to gasoline. As a chemical engineer I have had experiencing with aetone and I vouch for those warnings.
Stop and think: if acetone were good for mpg wouldn't you expect gasolines would contain it? All oil refineries have access to acetone easily so if they don't use it why should you?
1. I did read those posts and not having a background in this stuff, I wanted to have someone specifically address the topic of the GAS TANK. Can you either show me the quote that deals with that topic , or address it yourself?

2. You should STOP AND THINK. Do you honestly believe that if the nations that OWN gas knew of a way to make it more efficient so we would buy less of it, that they would be doing that?

have a nice day.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:50 PM
5 Year Member
1. I did read those posts and not having a background in this stuff, I wanted to have someone specifically address the topic of the GAS TANK. Can you either show me the quote that deals with that topic , or address it yourself?

2. You should STOP AND THINK. Do you honestly believe that if the nations that OWN gas knew of a way to make it more efficient so we would buy less of it, that they would be doing that?

have a nice day.

1. Thats why I asked to review the many posts. And you might google a few as well. The ones to pay attention to are ones from known technical sources. The gas tank itself is usually not a problem as they are generally steel, aluminum, or aspecific plastics not attacked by acetone. Most rubber formulations are, however, especially the ones found in vehicle fuel systems.
2. in many years in the peroleum industry (ChE, remember) there was considerable research on additives to improve mpg as well as cleaners. Acetone didn't pass either combustion or chemical tests.
And yes, any oil company would be tickled pink to have an advantage over other oil companies, if for no other reason they could profit mightly on proceeds from licensing.
Oil companies have been counting on reduced demand for years; that can be seen by their not being any new oil refineries being built, even where tree-huggers don't provide considerable restrictions.
Oil companies are not the foolish rape artists that liberals try to image them. We really tried to do the best for customers. The wild pricing you see for gasoline last year is the result of OPEC price controls, not refinery costs in the US. As long as the US refuses to arm itself with enough crude oil sources within our control to be competitive, overseas countries will dictate our gas prices, not US oil companies.
On 60 minutes, Saudi oil Minister said expicitly that OPEC will work to stabilize crude prices at $75 a barrel, which translates to about $2.75/3.00 per gallon of gas. Wanna bet it doesn't end there?

There are more politicians looking to sabotage this country instead of improving it. If you want to see good examples of what that leads to take a good look at Russia and Cuba.
Wait'll GM produces a Lada for sale under federal control. LOL squared.
And yes, I drove one.

Last edited by mahout; 05-03-2009 at 01:56 PM.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:20 PM
Question half and half.

zzzzzzzzzzzz.. oh, I woke up. sorry. :P

I guess as a lay person here, what I'm getting is that there are those who believe acetone will work and those who don't. Personally, I think that long term use is BAD. I think a every-now-and-again approach might not be so bad.

Now, I STILL would like to know how acetone would react with the material that lines the tank of a Honda Fit. Again, the owner's manual says not to use low-grade gas, so it seems that acetone is OUT in that case. In the manual, they mention a specific name for the lining. It's looking like I may have to actually go look this up.

Here it is: This what I'm referring to in the manual...
In addition, in order to maintain good performance, fuel economy, and emissions control, we strongly recommend, in areas where it is available, the use of gasoline that does NOT contain manganese-based fuel additives such as MMT.
Use of gasoline with these additives may adversely affect performance, and cause the alfunction indicator lamp on your instrument panel to come on. If this happens, contact
your authorized dealer for service. Some gasoline today is blended with oxygenates such as ethanol or MTBE. Your vehicle is designed to operate on oxygenated gasoline containing up to 10 % ethanol by volume and up to 15 % MTBE by volume. Do not use gasoline containing methanol.
All I want to know is will Acetone exacerbate this issue with the TANK in a Fit? YES or NO?
--Respectfully,
AlphaNumeric

Last edited by alphaNumeric; 05-03-2009 at 07:24 PM.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:53 PM
5 Year Member
zzzzzzzzzzzz.. oh, I woke up. sorry. :P

I guess as a lay person here, what I'm getting is that there are those who believe acetone will work and those who don't. Personally, I think that long term use is BAD. I think a every-now-and-again approach might not be so bad.

Now, I STILL would like to know how acetone would react with the material that lines the tank of a Honda Fit. Again, the owner's manual says not to use low-grade gas, so it seems that acetone is OUT in that case. In the manual, they mention a specific name for the lining. It's looking like I may have to actually go look this up.

Here it is: This what I'm referring to in the manual...

All I want to know is will Acetone exacerbate this issue with the TANK in a Fit? YES or NO?
--Respectfully,
AlphaNumeric

Your not getting the point made. You're just looking for someone to say its OK because the tank lining can handle acetone.. Sorry, but acetone laced gasoline is not permissible without courting serious damage. Period.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:35 PM
Question dude...

*sigh* NEVERMINNNNNNNNNNNND.
Either you're not really understanding what I'm asking or I'm not articulating what it is I'm trying to ask. If I wanted a YES, I wouldn't have asked the question. I just would have done it.

There is info all over the 'net that says DO IT and other that says DONT DO IT. I COULD CARE LESS what you think about DOING IT. What I want to know is if ANYONE (and apprently not you) knows anything about the corrosive nature of the lining of the gas tank for the Honda Fit. Forget about the whether or not factor.

Frustrated and about to give up,
alphanumeric

Old 05-03-2009, 09:39 PM
Thumbs up oh yeah?

So there's a styrofoam float huh? hmm.. That's good to know! Thanks!

This kind of answers the question of whether or not there is something IN THE TANK that could corrode quickly.
I understand that long term use would be bad, but I was curious as to any short term affects. In particular those of the affects upon the lining of the tank. Losing the float would be BAD! So, strike 1 on short-term. Thanks much.

--alphanumeric

Originally Posted by atom

WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Acetone is a very strong solvent. One of the things it is good as dissolving is styrofoam. Your gas guage works by a reading given by the height of a foam float inside the tank (at least it is in most vehicles, havent looked inside a fit's tank).

Acetone improving gas mileage was tested my Mythbusters and although their results aren't always perfect, it was a pretty good test. They showed a small decrease in mpg.

I used to work for a gas station and I can tell you that when the gas company "waters down" gasoline acetone is what they use. They can't use water for obvious reasons. We had a shipment of gasoline once we recieved about 40 complaints that week about peoples gas guages not working after filling up at our store. Corporate sent us a case of "Dragon Power" fuel system cleaner to hand out to customers for free when they signed a waiver. The fuel cleaner of course did nothing.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:43 PM
wow

Wow.. . you guys are pretty rude if someone disagrees with you. Regardless of their personal opinion differing from your or not... you shouldn't treat people like that.

Oh, and the fact that I'm asking something that seems insignifigant to you actually shows a sign of intelligence in that I want to know the iinermost details.

I was only asking an innocent question. SORRY FOR BOTHERING.
I'll be deleting my account.

Shame on you fellas.

Originally Posted by manxman
To back up mahout (with whom I disagree often), who gives a crap what the gas tank lining will withstand, or not, if that chemical is harmful to components throughout the rest of the fuel delivery system (such as the styrofoam fuel level float, if we have that, who knows)????????????????

Please use your 2X4 on another, different, dead horse. Most, if not all, intelligent Fit owners are not going to put acetone in their fuel. If you want to try it, please let us know about your results, and what kind of car you are now driving. Thank you.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:49 PM
i love college
Wow.. . you guys are pretty rude if someone disagrees with you. Regardless of their personal opinion differing from your or not... you shouldn't treat people like that.

Oh, and the fact that I'm asking something that seems insignifigant to you actually shows a sign of intelligence in that I want to know the iinermost details.

I was only asking an innocent question. SORRY FOR BOTHERING.
I'll be deleting my account.

Shame on you fellas.
dont delete your account because someone came at you the wrong way..

Old 05-04-2009, 12:09 AM
5 Year Member
Bought it and tried it a couple years ago. Did not make one bit of difference good or bad.

/thread