General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

2 oz acetone per 10 gal improves MPG 5-20% !!!???

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 12:47 AM
5 Year Member
Exclamation

I am more worried about finding a container where I can take about 8 oz with me Prolly wont do enough testing to know until we get a bit of more stable warmer weather...and I think I got to get at least 4K miles on my car to really gauge results.

Old 03-06-2009, 01:23 AM
5 Year Member
someone please help me decide how much to put in a full tank of gas, i'm headed to Vegas and then So Cal in three weeks, last time i went to Vegas i got 41.5 mpg keeping a steady 74mph pace, i want to improve on that!!! but all the reading just seems to flip flop around different numbers - HELP -

Old 03-06-2009, 07:50 AM
5 Year Member
start with 3 ounces per tank of gas
from my searches majority seem to be at 2-4 per 10 gal

Old 03-06-2009, 08:19 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by vtecfit1
someone please help me decide how much to put in a full tank of gas, i'm headed to Vegas and then So Cal in three weeks, last time i went to Vegas i got 41.5 mpg keeping a steady 74mph pace, i want to improve on that!!! but all the reading just seems to flip flop around different numbers - HELP -

Listen up. There'l be a quiz later.
Acetone is primarily a solvent; it likes to dissolve plastics and organic compounds. I have used acetone in some race engines at about 1:500 ratio and upon tearing down the engine we found a lot of gaskets and o rings that displayed evidence of chemical attack. Since the life of these engines was only a few hundred miles between rebuilds it didn't matter.
However, there has been many changes in gaskets and o ring formulations since then, so current use is unknown. In our case we found no real advantage so quit using it.
I suggest you read the article by Lou LaPointe in July 2008 'Acetone in Fuels' before you try using acetone in your fuel. Its full of political promissory and therefore doubtful but an interesting read. The one key is that 'only pure acetone works' and that bares a lot of doubt.

A ratio of 500:1 is close to the 2 oz per 10 gallons quoted elsewhere in these posts. On a 10.6 gallon tank if you add 2.12 oz of acetone and fill the tank full (to usual level when you refill). This is NOT a recommendation; its purely to make sure you don't concentrate too much. Acetone has a density about 70% of water so to get 2 oz of acetone you need 5 tablespoons in your full tank. (Two tablespoons of water equals 1 oz according to my wife's cookbook. I'm not used to such flimsy measurement systems, I prefer metric.) Put in before filling the tank to make sure its well mixed.
Once you have acetone in your tank you'll have to mix the refill at the 5 tablespoons per 10 gallon ratio based on the refill. (for 7.7 gallons you need 3.5 tablespoons as an example. sure you want to try that?)
AGAIN, ITS NOT RECOMMENDED. This is risky for a long term use engine and I will not do it on my cars so you shouldn't , either, without a lot more lab test data.

Last edited by mahout; 03-06-2009 at 08:52 AM.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:15 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mahout
Listen up. There'l be a quiz later.

Originally Posted by washington post
Roger Crawford, a businessman and independent researcher in Midland, Tex., takes a different approach to fuel economy. He has just begun marketing a gas additive he calls "XtraMPG." He says it boosts octane, burns cleaner and enables motorists to get better fuel economy and buy less expensive grades of gas -- saving 10 to 15 percent overall on gas.
What's in XtraMPG? "Most of us know it as nail polish remover," Crawford says. "It is simple acetone, a nonhazardous organic chemical . . . rated at 150 octane."
Crawford says he'd be happy if everyone bought acetone and added it to their gas tanks. But since people seem reluctant, he's packaging it as XtraMPG.

there is abundant evidence that acetone is an active ingredient in many "engine cleaners" and "fuel boosters." If you are the adventurous type you might consider doing further research and try formulating your own acetone-based fuel booster--which is probably smarter than handing your money to people like Roger Crawford.
I can use red letters too but I don't need to

used in many fuel additives and cleaners so I suppose these companies want to open them selves up to countless class action law suits?????????

Do you not realize fuel systems have been re engineered to handle 10:1 ethanol which is far more damaging to plastics and organics than a tiny 678:1 ratio of acetone.

and what is with the mind numbing part about table spoons which is clearly horrible advice for handling a product like this??

Last edited by Tork; 03-06-2009 at 10:23 AM.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:38 PM
5 Year Member
WELL I'M ONLY PLANNING on doing this on a couple long trips where my fuel will be used up in a day and not be stored in the tank

Old 03-06-2009, 12:52 PM
5 Year Member
WELL I'M ONLY PLANNING on doing this on a couple long trips where my fuel will be used up in a day and not be stored in the tank
exactly! same here. The whole idea behind this is the fun of trying something new and verifying or debunking a pretty wide spread net topic.

I am more than happy to honestly give my opinion as to whether this has any merit or not once I try it.

Old 03-06-2009, 02:49 PM
5 Year Member
I don't know that acetone is in significant content in their products. I'm sure they have tested their products for long term effects and know the answer. As long as we have no proof acetone remains a significant question for using in long term service engines. It may be but I don't know it although it did occur to me that acetone could be in those injector cleaners as it would be a good cleaner. However that amount might not be much of a benefit to combustion. The heat of combustion isn't significantly different from gasoline.

Not necessarily so. Acetone in the concentrations that ethanol laced fuels have would likely be far more damaging. Lab testing? My corrosion charts aren't handy. I don't use alcohol laced fuels either as I have lab tested ethanol corrosion on some plastics and elastomers.

putting 5 tablespoons in a tank and not a pint is a quantity limit that most people can understand. Why is that horrible? How many have pipets? Take note that 2 oz per 10 gallons left at least one poster lost. He surely would understand 5 tablespoons per 10 gallons.

I had the same thought about acetone being in many injector cleaners. Unfortunately, I don't have the proof. if it was a significant content, that would be justification as millions have used those cleaners for decades seemingly without harm. Until I get a chemical analysis I cannot recommend acetone. And the red letters were intended to warn of the potential hazards. Until we know better by acetone corrosion tests in fuel systems, especially in quantity, acetone remains unrecommended by me. The possibility of severely damaging your engine is not to be taken lightly.
Both of us should want that lab testing first.

Snopes.com has at least one article debunking the use of acetone to improve mpg. Suggest you read it.

My recommendation not to use acetone comes from a chemical engineer fully experienced in using acetone and one with full edperience in engine seal analysis.

[/quote]

Last edited by mahout; 03-11-2009 at 07:35 PM.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:41 PM
5 Year Member
Not a single person here has asked you to recommend acetone, so if you cant do that it is a non issue.

The issue is not if acetone is more corrosive than ethanol (that is mandated by government in many areas) at 1 to 10 ratio and acetone at the same ratio.
we are talking one part acetone to 670 parts gas.

Try not to write a frickin novel with each post as I fall asleep trying to figure out what your point is other than try to make yourself a self appointed all important supreme expert who is trying to derail the thread

Old 03-08-2009, 07:25 PM
I would suggest just to fill up your tank without any additives, the savings you will get is only a few dollars. Try driving slower than 74mph, I'd be lucky to get 35mgp with that speed.

Old 03-10-2009, 01:27 AM
Try the reasonability test: if it is so damned good, why is it a secret? Why isn't it already in gasoline? Oh, oil company conspiracy. OK.

Check this link. Wikepedia is not the best place in the world for knowledge, but it is a starting point. Mythbusters checked it out and found it bogus. Has anyone actually tested this? or is it just," . . . my neighbors friend told me . . . " stuff?

Until I see proof that it is not harmful and that it works I think I'll pass. As usual, YMMV.

Cheers

Old 03-10-2009, 12:44 PM
Well Acetone worked on my old Mazda but as i think i allready said, you have to find the sweet spot... In my mazda it was about 100ml for 65l of fuel... Did it for 2 years and nothing broke on the car's fuel system...

For the metric guys, 1 us ounce is 29.57ml so you can consider it as 30ml... for convertions, i use www.meteomedia.com it's in french but a convertion is a convertion... just go at the bottom of the page and click on convertions...

Marko!!

Old 03-21-2009, 07:49 PM
This did not work on mythbusters

Old 03-21-2009, 08:52 PM
Didn't Mythbusters prove that Acetone has no effect on a cars MPG with firm results on a car with a carburator? I don't see how a car with fuel injection would differ from those results.

Old 03-21-2009, 11:37 PM
Well they tested a carburated car and a fuel injected car.

Old 03-22-2009, 03:04 PM
2oz of acetone in 1280oz (10 gallons) of gas wont do a thing...even if you did a 50/50 mix it wouldnt do a thing...acetone has a really high octane rating and as with any high octane fuel it burns slower and puts out less btu's...less btu's means less expansion, less heat, and loss in power. IF it did anything it would make your wallet a little less heavy and lower your gas mileage.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:20 PM
Burning acetone also gives off some very nasty emissions....NOT a good idea.

Originally Posted by Tork
Have done over 4 hours of reading on this over the last 3 days.
2 hours into it I was convinced that there IS something to this.

Risk of damage to fuel system at 2-4 oz per 10 gallons is minimal to non existent I believe as guys have soaked various fuel system components in straight acetone for weeks to note slight swelling or deterioration.

Google search
acetone MPG
" " in gas
'' '' increased mileage ....etc and you can read up on it for hours.

This might get your car hooked on sniffing acetone!

Can acetone dramatically increase your gas mileage? | Wise Bread

Old 03-23-2009, 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by artieman
2oz of acetone in 1280oz (10 gallons) of gas wont do a thing...even if you did a 50/50 mix it wouldnt do a thing...acetone has a really high octane rating and as with any high octane fuel it burns slower and puts out less btu's...less btu's means less expansion, less heat, and loss in power. IF it did anything it would make your wallet a little less heavy and lower your gas mileage.
+1

Our cars are designed to run a specified Octane rating and you will lose power and fuel efficiency by running something higher.

I tested this by running Premium for a few tanks then switched back to regular. The difference was astonding. Better throttle response and fuel efficency. Unless you specifically tune your car and adjust the ECU to compensate for the higher octane you won't receive any benefit.

Old 03-23-2009, 04:07 PM
Fit Gadget Freak
5 Year Member
Sorry, Charlie

Initially, I was excited to encounter info on the www concerning toluene and acetone.

Now, after speaking with a client of mine, I believe these items WILL NOT enhance fuel economy nor performance.

The client worked for Chrysler for 15 years in their R&R department.

He now lives and works here.

These are some of his publications for sale...KP (CLICKABLE*)

Mention me if you buy something from his site.

Maybe, then, he'll keep using me for his locks!

*No monies, present or future, were exchanged for this link placement!

Old 04-23-2009, 12:18 AM
You all need to realize that if there was Any reasonable way to increase MPG even 2%, the auto industry would have done it,
do you think that the automakers that spend literally 10's of millions of dollars on research just missed something?
what this should tell you is that this 1. will not work, and/or 2. is harmful to your car

i would highly recommend not putting acetone in your fuel, will it increase your MPG, i doubt it, but even if it does, the car is engineered to run on a specific fuel, i would imagine that this might cause you to run lean which could account for mpg increases,
however, acetone will attack many of the components of your car, starting with some of the parts in the fuel pump and onward, this could possibly damage sensors, including our electronic throttle body,
don't poke the bear, there are no magical pills,
but i'm only an ASE master.

Quick Reply: 2 oz acetone per 10 gal improves MPG 5-20% !!!???