General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

2 oz acetone per 10 gal improves MPG 5-20% !!!???

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 05:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Shaggs2Dope
it really does help, or you do 2oz acetone and 4oz marvel mystery oil, and it improves mileage and cleans your fuel injection and combustion chamber. Works for real I have pulled heads on a car I had for 180k miles with the mystery oil trick and shit looked brand new. Not even a shimmy trying to move the pistons/rings, smoothe as butter. Acetone is pretty much straight alcohol anyway.

just out of ? why did you have to pull a head at 180k miles? did it have anything to do with the acetone

Old 03-02-2009, 08:24 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Shaggs2Dope
it really does help, or you do 2oz acetone and 4oz marvel mystery oil, and it improves mileage and cleans your fuel injection and combustion chamber. Works for real I have pulled heads on a car I had for 180k miles with the mystery oil trick and shit looked brand new. Not even a shimmy trying to move the pistons/rings, smoothe as butter. Acetone is pretty much straight alcohol anyway.
acetone IS NOT alcohol.........
WOW
Water is closer to alcohol than acetone is (chemically)
if u r chemically illiterate PLZ PLZ PLZ DO NOT spread crap

just curious..... who told u that acetone "is pretty much straight alcohol?"
or did u come to that conclusion yourself?

if u understand sports better it's kinda like u said that baseball is pretty much straight football anyways

Old 03-02-2009, 08:35 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Tork
I could have walked away from the subject just after a few paragraphs
but for me, really reading up, doing various googles was an eye opener!

It is amazing how many car forums have a thread on this.

this next link severely muted my skepticism

Directory:Acetone as a Fuel Additive - PESWiki
it's amazing how many ppl believe in bigfoot

googling is like polling ppl at the mall about how to perform a heart transplant.....u might stumble upon a cardiologist but most likely u will only run into housewives

Last edited by TheImmortal; 03-02-2009 at 08:48 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:39 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by theloxmyth
I could see it, niko.

Tri-nitro-toluene is TNT.

The ONLY hold-back I foresee is its reception by the car's sensors.

Because these cars seem to be really tuned-in to their fuel mixtures and using some additives MIGHT push CELs.

What do yunz think about it?
cellulose is like bran fiber
nitro-cellulose is a super unstable explosive

just 1 atom in a molecule can TOTALLY CHANGE it's chemical properties

Old 03-02-2009, 08:47 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by manxman
The reference to TNT is meaningless here. Toluene is just a highly volatile solvent, commonly used in spray paint, and is highly toxic. The nitrates in the chemical formula for TNT are what makes the material explosive. Same is true for the nitrates in gunpowder, and even match heads.
there r NO nitrates in tnt....they r NITRO groups

nitro, nitrate, nitrite, amino, amine, ammonia, nitrogen
R ALL DIFFERENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

nitrates r in BACON and other smoked foods!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

knowing a guy named Paul IS NOT the same as knowing a guy named Sol or a guy named Raul, or even a guy named Paulo!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-02-2009, 11:04 PM
5 Year Member
Got my acetone all ready to go
Will try it going up to Minnesota end of the week!

Old 03-02-2009, 11:08 PM
Fit Gadget Freak
5 Year Member

Let me/us know how it goes!

Old 03-02-2009, 11:40 PM
5 Year Member
[quote=theloxmyth;593830
Let me/us know how it goes![/quote]

OK I will
I sure hope it goes better than my thread on removing rotational weight= making the vehicle more efficient.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:56 PM
Fit Gadget Freak
5 Year Member
OK I will
I sure hope it goes better than my thread on removing rotational weight= making the vehicle more efficient.

You SAW how confused I was!

There was no hiding it!

Old 03-02-2009, 11:57 PM
Lots of options, you can get it in small bottles as nail polish remover

and most importantly, you would want to add it after you fill your tank
Are you sure that nail polish remover doesn't contain water? How safe do you think this will be for the car to run it? Hmmm... acetone from the hardware store is stored in metal containers, but nail polish remover is stored in plastic bottles....Is this because the company doesn't wanna be sued for people burning their fingers off with acetone? And of course a company can add water to nail polish removers just to increase the volume because they would have to use less acetone per bottle. Acetone is known to eat up certain plastics, paint, etc... I've become suspicious that nail polish remover will harm the fuel system at this point...

For those attempting this, please know what you're putting into your car or else you have nobody to blame but yourself.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:01 AM
Fit Gadget Freak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ToFit2Quit
Are you sure that nail polish remover doesn't contain water? How safe do you think this will be for the car to run it? Hmmm... acetone from the hardware store is stored in metal containers, but nail polish remover is stored in plastic bottles....Is this because the company doesn't wanna be sued for people burning their fingers off with acetone? And of course a company can add water to nail polish removers just to increase the volume because they would have to use less acetone per bottle. Acetone is known to eat up certain plastics, paint, etc... I've become suspicious that nail polish remover will harm the fuel system at this point...

For those attempting this, please know what you're putting into your car or else you have nobody to blame but yourself.
Yeah, DO NOT USE fingernail polish remover!

Your exhaust will smell floral!

Old 03-03-2009, 12:42 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ToFit2Quit

Yes, guys have tested straight acetone (soaking various fuel system parts) and yes swelling and deterioration over a period of weeks. But at 2-3 oz per 10 gallons none found(that is about a ratio of 1 ounce of acetone to 840 ounces of gasoline). And it is not an uncommon octane booster.
Additionally, fuel systems today are made to handle ethanol, which is highly corrosive and very hard on rubber, plastics and composites.

Last edited by Tork; 03-03-2009 at 12:50 AM.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:18 AM
Originally Posted by theloxmyth
Yeah, DO NOT USE fingernail polish remover!

Your exhaust will smell floral!
Hahaha! I don't think that's a completely bad thing... maybe girls will like it.

Yes, guys have tested straight acetone (soaking various fuel system parts) and yes swelling and deterioration over a period of weeks. But at 2-3 oz per 10 gallons none found(that is about a ratio of 1 ounce of acetone to 840 ounces of gasoline). And it is not an uncommon octane booster.
Additionally, fuel systems today are made to handle ethanol, which is highly corrosive and very hard on rubber, plastics and composites.
I'm talking about nail polish remover and the companies that makes them. Some producers will probably try to add water to cut cost. Water is not good for fuel systems and will give you 0 mpg added. So it's better to know what's in the bottle before dumping it in your fuel tank.

1 to 840 ounces = .119%
that's more than the alcohol level of being legaly drunk... hahaha!

Old 03-03-2009, 09:38 AM
5 Year Member
^^^ good advice though, went in my original post and edited out the remark about nail polish remover, to something a little more catchy.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:26 PM
Acetone is miscible in water and vice versa!! Maybe it could act as a fuel line anti-freeze in winter?

Definitely gonna put some in the fit next weekend! something like 75ml for a full tank!

Marko!!

Old 03-03-2009, 11:39 PM
Two questions:
First, if this is so great, why isn't acetone or toluene used as an additive in the fuel mix in the first place?
Second, what crazy chemicals might this send out the tailpipe?

Old 03-04-2009, 12:10 AM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FittJedi
Two questions:
First, if this is so great, why isn't acetone or toluene used as an additive in the fuel mix in the first place?
Second, what crazy chemicals might this send out the tailpipe?

toluene is used in gas up to 50% and as little as 20% i think
don't quote me.
read this article for more info.
Toluene - Octane Booster FAQ
this is why i used toluene in the past and can say it works
with no side effect what so ever. as long as you don't go overboard.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:58 AM
5 Year Member
[quote=Tork;548930]true, acetone IS nail polish remover and a main ingredient of paint remover. Alcohol is way different. However that second post has some good points about it removing carbon and other deposits in your engine.

Thats not all it removes either.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:08 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by niko3257
I used It once a long time ago. Can't remember.

But here is a new one for you.
I used this for a long time and works wonders.

just do a search and you'll find many posts on this topic.
here are some for example.
TOLUENE fuel mixture [Archive] - calaisturbo.com.au

Acetone or Toluene into your gas tank... - Topic Powered by eve community

Toluene - Octane Booster FAQ

Toluene Octane booster - Tremek Car Videos - Street Car Drag Racing Videos

About.com: http://www.faqs.org/faqs/autos/gasoline-faq/part1/

We boosted gasoline performance for decades with toluene, which is one of the high energy components of gasoline from refiners. Toluene has about 10% greater energy of combustion than 'noral' gasoline and thus higher performance. It must be carefully handled with good rubber gloves and should not be inhaled either. Competition regulators caught up though and its difficult to get away with it because the specific gravity is monitorable. A little yes but not more than 5%.
The trick nowdays is to add non-alcohol injector cleaner in the gas when competing.

Old 03-05-2009, 12:23 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
So what is the plan to get a proper reading? Are you going to do a control run up and then try using an acetone mix on the way back or just go off scangauge readings?

Quick Reply: 2 oz acetone per 10 gal improves MPG 5-20% !!!???