General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Leaving my car for 6 months????

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 01:25 PM
5 Year Member
yea that det is going to south america, so most likely its your ship lol

Old 01-20-2009, 10:20 AM
5 Year Member
Sta-Bil is generally not needed unless the gas is going to sit for a year.

Listen, Homey. Follow the advice of the poster who mentioned the mousetraps. In addition, I highly recommend that you get some of those waxy blocks of rodent poison and locate them in a few places under the hood and under the car. I say this because a squirrel named Osama F'd up my wiring when my Fit was less than 2 weeks old. He gnawed through the wires going to my transmission control, and it cost me big bucks and huge aggravation. My point is, rodents can mess up other things besides intakes and exhausts. And if you park in the grass, you might also be wise to protect the car from wasps and ants.

Most importantly, thank you for your service. I hope you will have your share of fun in South America, and come back safely. Positive rep for your service to us.
May you be blessed with a safe tour and a Fit that's still perfect when you return!

Old 01-20-2009, 01:19 PM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Me too - wishing you well

6 mos. and you're almost done, right?? And your Fit will be fine - don't stress out about it. It's the year and beyond time frame that takes all the prep.

You will be able to log on and let us know how it's going, right? Where's the smiley with the salute...??? Thank you for being there for our country.

Old 01-20-2009, 02:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by martymcfly
What is the max time this procedure allows? If I go for a year or 1 1/2 year do I need to anything extra?
I'd spray some fogging oil down the plug holes if you're leaving it that long.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:36 PM
The only other thing I would do is buy a Battery Tender. They are relatively cheap, and will moniter the level of the charge in the battery. You can hook up the Tender to the battery in the car, or remove the battery and store it indoors, connected to the Tender. If you remove the battery and just let it sit without a BT, there is a very good chance you will kill it. Then you'll have to buy a new one upon your return.
I've been using a BT on my 2001 motorcycle battery since May, 2001. Hook it up every winter and disconnect it in the spring.
I use the BT jr. It works for the MC battery during the winter, and for the other 5 or 6 months it's hooked up to my car.
Batterytender.com - Home of All Your Charging Needs
They can even act as a slow charger if you should ever discharge the battery. Takes a bit, 24 hours, but does the job.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Firebat666
hey i don't know too much about storing cars but good luck on your deployment and thank you for your service to our country!
x2!!!!!!!!

Old 01-27-2009, 11:48 PM
Hurray for Op-Sec!!

Other than your glaring security violation, your car should be fine. I left my del Sol sit unused for 15 months while I was in the desert and all it needed was a new battery. I didn't treat the fuel or add any miracle oils, just let it sit in my driveway.

Name:  Opsecposter.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  16.5 KB

Last edited by airborne200208; 01-27-2009 at 11:52 PM. Reason: to add an awesome WWII poster.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:24 PM
oh yeah, my fault lol ;/ I don't think terrorists drive Honda Fits though...

thanks for the ideas, folks. I'll need a battery tender then.

I really can't wait for shore duty in March 2010 in Cali...tired of these deployments and underways lol

Old 01-28-2009, 07:22 PM
5 Year Member
Should be fine to let it sit for a while with a battery tender. I've gotten cars that have sit for a while and they ran fine afterwards. When I first got my Civic a few years back, it sat in my Grandfather's garage untouched for about 6 years. I did an oil change, charged up the battery, and it started right up. Smoked a little at first since the valve seals had dried up, but that went away with a little bit of driving. Still runs fine today whenever I get around to starting it (usually every other month or so - sometimes longer). Even with the years old gas, no problems. Fuel pump worked fine, carburetor wasn't gummed up, idled smooth once warm (it's old enough to have a manual choke on the carb, takes a bit of getting used to in order to get a good smooth idle when cold). You should be fine.

If you are that worried about it, I've got a big enough driveway and I'm in Jersey (Butler, NJ to be exact) - if you need a place to park it, you're more than welcome to keep it at my house. If you want, I can take it around the block once a month or so if it'll have insurance on it.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:57 PM
5 Year Member
I will drive it for you. for free.

(I wish...)

Old 01-30-2009, 11:45 AM
***oops, sorry Blueblazer49, missed your post...*** If you go to a motorcycle shop and ask for a "battery tender" or a "smart charger", you can get a charger that will keep your (disconnected) battery at 100% charge, without overcharging it...

Also, the idea behind changing the oil before storage, instead of after is that once oil is used, it gets moisture and acids in it... you don't want those sitting in your engine for 6 months. I strongly suggest a change BEFORE storage.

Yep, pump the tyres up to 50psi and either get them off the ground, or on bits of carpet.

I used to work in a motorcycle shop, and Canadians have to store our bikes for half the year. That's why I'm sure of this info.

"oh yeah, my fault lol ;/ I don't think terrorists drive Honda Fits though..." even if they do, they are likely on the "cowardly terrorist butthead" forums, instead of Fitfreak"

Last edited by *Garismatic*; 01-30-2009 at 11:48 AM.