General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

I'm so stoooopid!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 07:32 PM
tin
5 Year Member
I'm so stoooopid!

Dang, I can't believe how stupid I can get sometimes.

Some guy drove by my car today and said he can fix my dent. I told him no, and he went on to say that he's done this for 20 years and it'll only take a minute, blah blah blah. I asked how much and he was like $150, I reply that I didn't have that much. He asked how much I had, I said $40. Then he's like OK, whipped out a metal and a rubber hammer and starts going at it.

After about 30 seconds he said he was done. I told him he didn't do anything, and he start claiming that there was a "big" dent on there that he "pulled". I was like that's BS it's the same as before, and then I saw a long crack on the paint and told him he messed up my paint too. He said there is no crack and that he doesn't see anything. After a few exchanges he starts saying that he fixed the dent, that there is no crack in the paint and that I was making stuff up so I don't have to pay him. A little after that and after realizing he wasn't getting any money he stormed off.

This is coming from someone who warned his sister about these guys being scam artists. I don't know what I was thinking at the time. My fiance said I should be glad I wasn't hurt, he could have pulled a knife or something. Should have listened to my better half. Sometimes I just do dumb things before I get a chance to think about it. And looking back now, I realize I was so stooooopid!

As far as the fix goes, if I have to rate it on a scale of 1-10, 10 being the best. I would rate it maybe a 1. It did help a tiny (very tiny!) bit, but not really. Now as for the crack/chip in the paint, I honestly have not seen it before, but it's possible that it was there due to the dent and the cold weather. It's right where the metal folds in and where the dent is, but I haven't noticed it before so I'm pretty sure that a-hole did it with his hammering.

I think I'm gonna go with my own fix next time, I'll throw a sticker on it. That fixes everything!

Old 01-10-2009, 08:32 PM
5 Year Member
That sucks to hear. At least you're okay. Some people these days... You just can't trust them. I'd recommend bringing it to one of those bumper repair places because, although it can be costly, they'll do the job right. They have the tools to work from the inside of the car to push the dent out, not just using a hammer.

The dent doesn't sound too bad, but now that the paint is cracked it won't look so hot even after you really get it fixed. Anyway, sorry to hear what happened. You live and you learn!

Old 01-10-2009, 08:55 PM
5 Year Member
dude tht rly sux... sry to hear it, least he ddnt mess it up too bad

Old 01-10-2009, 09:40 PM
tin
5 Year Member
Yea, some people just suck. Since this guy drives around to look for people to scam, I'm just afraid that he'll see my car again and put another dent on it or something. Hopefully that doesn't happen.

I don't think I'll be fixing it since the Fit is going to my sister. I got this nice smiley face with an arm cast sticker that I think will look great on the dent/paint crack. That's my master plan, I'll put a sticker on every dent.

Originally Posted by Super Mario
That sucks to hear. At least you're okay. Some people these days... You just can't trust them. I'd recommend bringing it to one of those bumper repair places because, although it can be costly, they'll do the job right. They have the tools to work from the inside of the car to push the dent out, not just using a hammer.

The dent doesn't sound too bad, but now that the paint is cracked it won't look so hot even after you really get it fixed. Anyway, sorry to hear what happened. You live and you learn!

Old 01-10-2009, 10:04 PM
5 Year Member
Trust no one.

I would find that guy's car while he's in the supermarket and let the air out of his tire(s).

Old 01-10-2009, 11:23 PM
5 Year Member
or you could report him to the police... what hes doing can't be legal....

Old 01-11-2009, 03:34 AM
5 Year Member
Just get one of these car band-aids for your car

Bandaid Stickers, Bumper Stickers - Sticker Giant

Old 01-11-2009, 04:08 AM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
i dont trust anyone walking around with two hammers claiming that they can fix my car.

Old 01-11-2009, 01:13 PM
5 Year Member
The plastic bumpers of all automobiles must be painted with paint which has a polyurethane 'flex' additive in it. The flexibility helps to prevent cracking of the bumper when it bends in response to deflection forces. The paint on the hard metal panels doesn't have this additive. Some times the paint cracks when the panel is bent. Sometimes, it doesn't crack in response to the initial bending, but does when the panel is restored to its original contours. That may be what happened in this case.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:58 PM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Don't beat yourself until there's a crack in YOUR paint to match your car's! Stuff happens and WTF...you learn from it. When you stop learning you are dead.

My hubby fell for a scam in New Orleans years ago...Guy on the corner says, "I bet you $20 I can tell you where you got dem shoes..." Hubby was just over from London and his shoes were from a UK store - he just *knew* the guy could not have known where he bought his shoes...so he gives the guy $20. The guy then said, "You got dem shoes on the corner of Orange and 11th Avenue! (made up street names)" Ha ha, hubby instantly understood that the joke was on him...it was a fair scam all right...He still laughs about it to this day.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:09 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah, sorry to hear about the incident. take your car to the dealer cause
they usually have dent repair guys coming around to do their used cars on
a daily basis.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:29 PM
same exact thing happened to my cousin last year. Some guy came up to him when he was parking and told him that he could fix the dent he had on his car. My cousin said "no thanks, i have no money right now" The guy said, "ill do it for cheap and ill be done by the time you are done with your shopping" he figured that his dent was pretty bad regardless and the guy may prob fix it somewhat so told him okay.

When he got back from shopping the bump on the car was plastered with bondo and then he spray painted it gray to "match" the car. The car looked like sh$%. My cousin told the guy off and the guy just left.

Im guessing more and more people are gonna want to do this to people. So everyone better watch out.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:23 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
damn... getting attacked in the east and the west...

Old 01-21-2009, 07:15 AM
Originally Posted by jelliotlevy
The plastic bumpers of all automobiles must be painted with paint which has a polyurethane 'flex' additive in it. The flexibility helps to prevent cracking of the bumper when it bends in response to deflection forces. The paint on the hard metal panels doesn't have this additive. Some times the paint cracks when the panel is bent. Sometimes, it doesn't crack in response to the initial bending, but does when the panel is restored to its original contours. That may be what happened in this case.
This is correct, that's why the paint was cracked.

Old 01-21-2009, 04:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Juliane
Don't beat yourself until there's a crack in YOUR paint to match your car's! Stuff happens and WTF...you learn from it. When you stop learning you are dead.

My hubby fell for a scam in New Orleans years ago...Guy on the corner says, "I bet you $20 I can tell you where you got dem shoes..." Hubby was just over from London and his shoes were from a UK store - he just *knew* the guy could not have known where he bought his shoes...so he gives the guy $20. The guy then said, "You got dem shoes on the corner of Orange and 11th Avenue! (made up street names)" Ha ha, hubby instantly understood that the joke was on him...it was a fair scam all right...He still laughs about it to this day.
Orange and 11th might have been the intersection that you guys were standing on.

I'm surprised that he didn't say... "I didn't say I'd tell you where you bought your shoes, just where you got'em. And right now, you got dem shoes on your feet." -From the movie Poolhall Junkie.