General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Aftermerket Radio

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 11:48 PM
5 Year Member
Aftermarket Radio

Does anyone know if any current owners have installed an aftermarket radio. If so please direct me to pictures. The system that will be in the sport looks decent but I prefer to be able to customize sound much more. I Know that the radio looks as if it is built into the dash but I still think that there is probably an aftermarket kit to install other radios. Anyone have any idea? Thanks.

Last edited by KenClunk; 03-01-2006 at 06:26 PM.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:57 AM
Avid FitFreak Poster
In the NA market you will have to use a double den style radio or a mount in that style that would hold the cd player in the top and have small storage slot below the cd player

Old 03-01-2006, 12:09 PM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-interior-modifications/3034-mp3-listening-jazz-fit.html

There's a picture of a mounting plate that Honda makes for the optional NAV unit offered in the RHD Fit/Jazz. Just need to find the comparable part for a LHD Fit/Jazz and you'll be good to go.

Old 03-01-2006, 04:04 PM
5 Year Member
Good link

I would rather have a storage underneath the head unit though anyone know of any other kits?

Also it looks like the Jazz has 6" in the front and 6" in the back. Is this the same for the fit? Anyone know yet?

I am huge about the sound and currently in my Civic I have a component system that I have my iPod hooked up to. It sounds great and I am worried that I may have to deal with the Factory radio of the Fit for a while until the third party parts come through.

In my Civic I have a Moster Car audio plug that I use to dock my iPod. This is beneficial for many reasons: the sound is sent through line out instead of headphones, the iPod charges (using trical charge to avoid damage) while car is on, it automatically pauses when i turn the car off, and the charger takes dirty power (the stuff that makes road noise enter speakers i.e. ground loop) away completely. This way when I get back in my car I only have to hit play and it automatically resumes where I last was.

Here is the link:
http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...873&pfp=SEARCH

Last edited by KenClunk; 03-01-2006 at 04:14 PM.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:20 PM
I've seen comparable items that plug directly into Alpine, Kenwood, Pioneer, and even factory decks that use the line out for sound, power the Ipod and even control it from the head unit.

Honda even offers this option on the Fit, and many other Hondas/Acuras.

Old 03-01-2006, 05:31 PM
5 Year Member
Not all its cracked up to be...

Those systems are not that great I actually bought that wire for my Kenwood head unit. It was about $100.00 USD and totally not worth it. Basically with those systems you must use the deck to navigate the folders. Which really sucks when your talking hundreds of artists with thousands of songs. The whole point of an iPod is the innovative interface which simply displays the head units manufactuer's name on it when using that wire. Also with that system it is only able to be used with an iPod. The only system that really works well is the Alpine with touch screen head unit because it eases the navigation of a huge library.

You can buy a converter (CD changer to RCA) for $20 USD and that Monster cable for the iPod for $40 USD and get the best of both worlds. Incredible sound with a great interface.

Old 03-01-2006, 05:56 PM
I don't see the issue about those systems only working with the IPOD, so does the item you posted. Most newer head units also offer RCA input jacks.

How are you dealing with the wires everywhere?

We are using a USASpec dual RCA input CD to Honda changer converter for our DVD system. They also offer a unit with one RCA input jack, and IPOD control. Still limited by the way you access the songs though.

Old 03-01-2006, 06:25 PM
5 Year Member
Thats where that part comes in. The system is able to be used with any headphone output or an iPod line out with that Monster part.

The head unit --> CD Changer Converter to RCA --> RCA Y cable to Headphone plug --> Moster Car Audio iPod Adapter.

At anytime you can pull the wire out of the adapter and plug anything else into it.

I installed the complete system myself and hid all of the wires with the exception of the dock connector it is all hidden uder the center counsel.Even if i keep the factory radio in the fit I will be adding the dock connector and tapping ito the Aux plug for the factory radio. I hate wires and always hard wire anything that goes in my car.

Old 03-01-2006, 06:34 PM
Looks nicely tucked in. I'll likely try out the Honda part, that way the IPOD can be tucked away in the glove box. But right now I'm content with CDs full of MP3s.

Old 03-01-2006, 06:37 PM
5 Year Member
If you want you can keep it in the glove box. I don't see a problem as long as you create a lot of playlists, like I said the navigation through folders sucks in comparison to the iPods interface. Whatever you decide- best of luck.

Old 03-01-2006, 08:59 PM
Exclamation

Originally Posted by KenClunk
Those systems are not that great I actually bought that wire for my Kenwood head unit.
The Honda unit is different and also requires you to install software for the expanded dash functions...
http://www.collegehillshonda.com/sto...usersguide.pdf

Old 03-01-2006, 10:08 PM
5 Year Member
All of them are basically the same!

Every kind of head unit (OEM or after market) all do the same thing. They make you use the radio controls to navigate through the menus rendering the iPod interface useless. I'm not an Apple fan boy. I don't have any kind of biased view. I tried out a few different configurations and none were as easy to use as the iPod interface. Spending 5 minutes to get to a song or CD that you want is not very fun. It is as simple as that.