General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Oil Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 01:59 PM
Oil Recommendations?

So when I get around to doing my oil change what do you guys recommend? I was thinking of Amsoil or Royal Purple. I want to use a full synthetic.

Thoughts?

Old 12-30-2008, 02:03 PM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
mobil 1 with mobil1 filter ftw

Old 12-30-2008, 10:49 PM
5 Year Member
uh oh....

I read that you should wait until 10k before switching to snyth (i do not know why, I forgot). I spent about 10 min trying to find the thread on it, but I gave up.
majority of ppl here LOVE the mobile1 but the purple is also popular.

My plan is to get Honda oil until I pass the 10k mark and then changing all my fluids to purple. The oil that came with the car is apparently really special and supposedly very important for the break in.

Here is thread on when to change oil with some opinions on oils in there.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:18 PM
5 Year Member
I just switched to Synthetic on my first oil change (Honda did my first). I'm using Pennzoil Platinum and so far it's running fine. Don't worry, there's no wax in it to break your car.

From what I've read Amsoil > Royal Purple.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:20 PM
I, too switched recently to Pennzoil Platinum 5W30... couldn't recommend it highly enough. Engine definitely runs smoother, and no, it's not placebo effect. My 5AT gear knob doesn't rattle at redline like it used to lol. I switched to a thicker weight because I found out Honda only went to 5W20 for CAFE standards, and that in Australia, New Zealand, Japan and most of the EU, these cars run on 5W30 or 5W40 with the same motor (or i-DSI variations... same bottom end though!). Pennzoil Platinum has been rated the best oil for the price second only to Amsoil, and in some used oil analysis' i've seen it's actually scored better on wear metals! Royal Purple is generally seen as marketing hype and has a tendancy to break down in viscosity over the interval. Check out Bob Is The Oil Guy (it's addicting).

Old 01-01-2009, 01:05 PM
5 Year Member
The changing to synthetic after 10K is a myth. You can change at anytime without problems, supposedly people said to change at 10K to give your car a chance to break in.

For Honda's the general consensus seems to be to change the initial oil no earlier than 3k because they use a break in oil with high moly. I've seen people who supposedly did oil analysis and some said it's just normal oil with engine lube left in it from the manufacturing and some claim it's break in oil.

From my work experience, I truly believe that as long as you change your oil consistently, with anything it will be good enough but I like using synthetic, just for the heck of it because I like using good stuff.

My favorite right now is Pennzoil Platinum, only because it gets good ratings but can be bought at Walmart for $4 a quart.

Royal Purple is okay, AMSOIL is too expensive to be worth it. You can't do extended oil change intervals with AMSOIL without voiding your warranty on a new car, I may give it a try after the warranty to check out the hype.

Old 01-01-2009, 01:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by moolman
The changing to synthetic after 10K is a myth. You can change at anytime without problems, supposedly people said to change at 10K to give your car a chance to break in.

For Honda's the general consensus seems to be to change the initial oil no earlier than 3k because they use a break in oil with high moly. I've seen people who supposedly did oil analysis and some said it's just normal oil with engine lube left in it from the manufacturing and some claim it's break in oil.

From my work experience, I truly believe that as long as you change your oil consistently, with anything it will be good enough but I like using synthetic, just for the heck of it because I like using good stuff.

My favorite right now is Pennzoil Platinum, only because it gets good ratings but can be bought at Walmart for $4 a quart.

Royal Purple is okay, AMSOIL is too expensive to be worth it. You can't do extended oil change intervals with AMSOIL without voiding your warranty on a new car, I may give it a try after the warranty to check out the hype.
What are your oil change intervals while using Pennzoil? 6K? 10K?

Old 01-01-2009, 02:03 PM
5 Year Member
First oil change i had done by honda cause it was free..second one which was a week ago i did it on my own and I used royal purple ;-)

Old 01-01-2009, 02:14 PM
5 Year Member
i've always been a big fan of mobil1, but you can never go wrong with just honda oem.

same goes for the filter, oem (yes even the ones made by fram) or jdm hamp filters are good, but i like wix filters the best.

Old 01-01-2009, 02:30 PM
5 Year Member
I use a 5k interval because that's what it says in my Lexus manual. For my fit, I just got it, so I'm thinking at around 3k or maybe 5k to switch to Pennzoil platinum and then change it every 5K regardless of what that Oil Life meter says.

Alex

Old 01-01-2009, 02:58 PM
I do my oil change every 5k miles and use mobil 1 synth.

Old 01-01-2009, 03:22 PM
5 Year Member
i change mine around 5-7k miles with royal purple.

Old 01-01-2009, 04:58 PM
5 Year Member
Seems like a lot of people run synthetic, but don't use the max life of the oil. I was reading a bit on Bitog (Bob Is The Oil Guy) and some people are using their oil for 10-15K miles, changing on the the filter every 5K or so. They send in their oil and get an analysis with results showing that there's still significant life in the oil.

Is it because of warranty reason? If so, how would the dealerships even know as long as you reset your oil gauge every 5K?

Old 01-01-2009, 05:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Super Mario
Seems like a lot of people run synthetic, but don't use the max life of the oil. I was reading a bit on Bitog (Bob Is The Oil Guy) and some people are using their oil for 10-15K miles, changing on the the filter every 5K or so. They send in their oil and get an analysis with results showing that there's still significant life in the oil.

Is it because of warranty reason? If so, how would the dealerships even know as long as you reset your oil gauge every 5K?
I use Mobil 1 full synth and OEM Honda filters. I change it by the car's oil life meter which has always been 7-8K miles.

34K so far, car's 10 mos old.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:44 PM
Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 with OEM Honda filter changed according to the maintenance minder for me. Makes it a lot easier plus it's right on the money for this car/oil combo around 7,500-8,000 miles (according to UOA's). The oil is really cheap so it's no biggie to change it that often.

Old 01-01-2009, 08:24 PM
5 Year Member
what weight oils do you guys use? i personally use 5w30 although i thnk 5w20 was recommended?

Old 01-01-2009, 08:54 PM
I have used synthetic oil in my fit since there was 1000 miles on the odo. I have 6000 miles now. First time i changed with penzoil plat (cheap at walmart as others have stated), and this time Castrol Syntec was the walmart special so i changed with that. I keep the 5w-20 weight. I change around 6000 miles regardless of the oil life. I drove 5000 with the penzoil and the oil life told me i had 50%.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Super Mario

I know that syn could last longer than 5k but because of warranty reasons you have to change it at 5k. Even if you don't change it at 5k, they have to prove specifically that it was because of you not changing the oil is the reason for the damage.

The dealership has no idea how many times you reset the oil gauge.

If you change your own oil you have to keep proof of it since you have no reciept from the oil/garage. Keep the reciept of the oil that you bought, I usually buy the oil on one reciept, along with the UPC from the oil filter box, staple them together and keep it in a file box. I also get a free rotation at America's Tire Co/Discount Tire. They always put a mileage on there of when you brought it in. So now I have a reciept from that day that I bought the oil and a reciept with the mileage on it for the rotation. Way enough proof that I did an oil change.

Alex

Old 01-02-2009, 12:11 AM
Slap some Mobile 1 0w20 in it, you'll be straight.

Royal Purple is wayyyy to expensive IMO. If I owend a vette yea i'd opt for it, but I will never spend that much. The only way I justify Mobile 1 in my Si is doing it myself, $26 for 5 quarts at walmart.

Old 01-02-2009, 12:16 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by nodrogkam
I have used synthetic oil in my fit since there was 1000 miles on the odo. I have 6000 miles now. First time i changed with penzoil plat (cheap at walmart as others have stated), and this time Castrol Syntec was the walmart special so i changed with that. I keep the 5w-20 weight. I change around 6000 miles regardless of the oil life. I drove 5000 with the penzoil and the oil life told me i had 50%.
You only have 6K? I'm at 7K already. Lol!

I use Royal Purple with a Hamp Synergy oil filter.

Quick Reply: Oil Recommendations?