General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Oil Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 12:01 PM
Smile I checked up on the oil recommedations in other countries..

Originally Posted by Arashi
I, too switched recently to Pennzoil Platinum 5W30... couldn't recommend it highly enough. Engine definitely runs smoother, and no, it's not placebo effect. My 5AT gear knob doesn't rattle at redline like it used to lol. I switched to a thicker weight because I found out Honda only went to 5W20 for CAFE standards, and that in Australia, New Zealand, Japan and most of the EU, these cars run on 5W30 or 5W40 with the same motor (or i-DSI variations... same bottom end though!). Pennzoil Platinum has been rated the best oil for the price second only to Amsoil, and in some used oil analysis' i've seen it's actually scored better on wear metals! Royal Purple is generally seen as marketing hype and has a tendancy to break down in viscosity over the interval. Check out Bob Is The Oil Guy (it's addicting).
After reading the above quote I searched the forums from countries like malaysia and australia and Thailand I see NONE of them use 5w-20 oil. The most often mentioned oil was 10W-30 oil because it's what Honda recommends (for the 1.5 litre fit/jazz engine) it those countries. I would think that it would offer better protection in warmer climates, and apparently Honda recommends it (there).
I guess here in the USA there are CAFE standards imposed by the feds that reward large companies for lower fleet gas milage. 5W-20 oil apparently makes a very slight increase in MPG in individual cars so when you multiply this by hundreds of thousands of cars it helps lower the Corporate Average MPG in the Government's eyes and saves these companies $$$. Anyway there are TONS of forum threads on this, oil weights and CAFE standards you could google.
I am now using 5w-30 myself with positive effects like others mentioned.

Old 12-03-2009, 01:21 PM
5 Year Member
I'm currently using Valvoline SynPower fully synthetic motor oil (5w-20). And I use Hamp Synergy oil filters.

Old 12-03-2009, 01:32 PM
I'm using Amsoil 0W-20, have had it in the FIT for about 7000 miles & 6 months. No issues, slightly higher MPG's attained, maybe 1 extra MPG, at most.

Old 12-03-2009, 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by bkrell
20 weight oils have proven themselves very capable in everything from Ford and Doge V-8s to tiny Honda VTECs. If you fear them, don't. That being said, I'm just wondering how many of you use thicker weights and what your impressions are? I've got massive amounts of thicker weights stockpiled and am considering slowly using a quart here or there w/ majority 20 weight to deplete the stash. Just wanted to make sure no one has a "Wait, 10W30 blew up my engine!" story.

Not to fuel any flames, but, boojum, I'd point out that Mobil 1 was in fact introduced in 1974 and was only introduced in Europe 1 year earlier. Obviously Mobil had experience with PAO prior to the marketing of M1 since they invented PAO in the 1940's. Careful with the retail phone/email tech help at Mobil1. They're notoriously clueless.
Just after Amsoilin 1972. Mobil hates to lose market share. As to the extra "expense" of Amsoil, I'm not concerned about an extra $10 on oil changes, especially if I use their extended drain intervals. Cars ain't cheap, better fluids make them last longer. I typically buy Mercedes Benz antifreeze, it works well with aluminum , hardly any corrosion.