General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Oil Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 03:23 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by moolman
I know that syn could last longer than 5k but because of warranty reasons you have to change it at 5k. Even if you don't change it at 5k, they have to prove specifically that it was because of you not changing the oil is the reason for the damage.

The dealership has no idea how many times you reset the oil gauge.

If you change your own oil you have to keep proof of it since you have no reciept from the oil/garage. Keep the reciept of the oil that you bought, I usually buy the oil on one reciept, along with the UPC from the oil filter box, staple them together and keep it in a file box. I also get a free rotation at America's Tire Co/Discount Tire. They always put a mileage on there of when you brought it in. So now I have a reciept from that day that I bought the oil and a reciept with the mileage on it for the rotation. Way enough proof that I did an oil change.

Alex
Good call on keeping the receipts and such. I'll try to find mine and keep a record of it from now on.

BTW: I thought the oil change maintenance minder was set by purely mileage and has no way of actually "sensing" the condition of the oil. I have mismatched information now. Any thoughts?

Old 01-02-2009, 03:53 AM
Originally Posted by JDMxGE8
You only have 6K? I'm at 7K already. Lol!

I use Royal Purple with a Hamp Synergy oil filter.
This is actually more mileage than usual for me due to an extra trip up to tahoe and back.

I just go to school...and now i work on campus. I rarely drive anymore. I also thinking driving fewer miles keeps my insurance rates lower (i have to report annual mileage and mileage estimates to my insurance every now and then).

Old 01-02-2009, 03:55 AM
Originally Posted by Super Mario
Good call on keeping the receipts and such. I'll try to find mine and keep a record of it from now on.

BTW: I thought the oil change maintenance minder was set by purely mileage and has no way of actually "sensing" the condition of the oil. I have mismatched information now. Any thoughts?
As the our manual states, the oil life meter calculates the condition of the oil based on engine revolutions and mileage.

So it's not some sort of oil analysis - therefore it doesnt compensate for higher quality oils/filters - but will compensate for those who like to always rev high.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:44 AM
amsoil is good but you can only order them through dealers. Mobil one is what i use but the oil consumption from it seems to be worse than amsoil from my experience.

Old 01-02-2009, 12:49 PM
receipts?

Originally Posted by Super Mario
Is it because of warranty reason? If so, how would the dealerships even know as long as you reset your oil gauge every 5K?
If an under warranty breakdown occurs that could have been oil related then Honda's going to want to see a proper number of receipts for oil and filters to go with your car's mileage. If keeping the warranty in force doesn't mean anything then don't bother!

Old 01-02-2009, 03:19 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah, people have to be very good about saving all receipts and UPC codes when they do their own oil changes. Engines rarely break because of oil problems but in the slim chance that it does under warranty you think the dealer or Honda is going to give you a break. You the cheap bastard that refuses to come in to get a $25-30 oil change every once in awhile but instead doing it at home and not giving them any profit.

I'm still on the fence about using 5W-20 but I probably will just use it since it's recommended but I hate using such a light oil. I bought my fit as a daily driver that I plan on keeping until the wheels fall off and I want that engine to last until my unborn children are 16 and ready to drive. I was considering 0W-20 but after some "internet" research decided against it.

I pick Pennzoil Platinum because it gets good reviews on Bob is the oil guy but at Walmart, it's a couple of bucks cheaper than Mobil 1.

Alex

Old 01-18-2009, 11:04 PM
Originally Posted by etong
amsoil is good but you can only order them through dealers.
Order it straight from their website. A preferred membership gets you dealer pricing, and pays for itself in a single purchase.

Old 01-20-2009, 02:53 PM
When I bought my 09 fit a couple of weeks ago my "salesman" said "dont bother with synthetic oil it wont help this car". Now I am a big fan of syn so i was obviously stunned by his comment. I actually went looking for a FIT forum to see if anyone was using syn oil. Now I see plenty of you are with good results can anyone think of why a HONDA salesman would say this? Also has anyone had any bad experience with sythetic oil ever?

Old 01-20-2009, 04:05 PM
5 Year Member
i need to start doing this myself they just charged me $38 at honda. The fit only uses what 4 quarts i would use pennzoil myself or mobile one. I could do the oil change my self for like $15 and save the other $23

Old 02-01-2009, 10:31 AM
honda oem is how we'll go...or anything other than oil from the thiefs at exxon mobil.

does honda use synth?

Old 02-01-2009, 01:15 PM
5 Year Member
i heard honda uses mobil 1 semi synthetic oil. like something like a clean 5000 or so.

i use royal purple...but im going to change to amsoil because i get a fatty discount from them.

Old 02-01-2009, 07:20 PM
We changed the oil for the first time today (5,500 miles although the maintenance minder said it was still at 60%!) and are trying to figure out where the maintenance manual is. The manual says to have a person stamp your book... but I can't find where. I figured we could staple our receipts to the page... but I can't find it!

Am I just missing it or is there another book that describes when different maintenance items should be taken care of. I don't want to void my warranty. :-(

Old 03-08-2009, 12:06 PM
I use AMSoil 5w20 in winter and 5w30 in summer as i have dealer prices on it with a wix or K&N filter depending on disponibility!

Marko!!

Old 03-08-2009, 05:30 PM
I drove straight from the dealer to Wally's World for Mobil-1 5W-20 with a Honda filter. 'Vettes, Porsches and Ferraris come form the factory with this oil so I am pretty sure the engine will break in just fine. Mobil-1 has been around for 50+ years. If there were a problem with it we would all know by now.

Cheers

Old 03-08-2009, 05:56 PM
wdb
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by boojum
I drove straight from the dealer to Wally's World for Mobil-1 5W-20 with a Honda filter. 'Vettes, Porsches and Ferraris come form the factory with this oil [...]
Uhm, no.

Ferrari has been sponsored by Shell since time immemorial, and they use and recommend Shell oils for their cars.

Porsche does use Mobil 1 for the Cayenne factory fill, dunno about their horizontally opposed motors.

Mobil-1 has been around for 50+ years.
Uhm, no. Try 35 years (1974).

Old 03-08-2009, 07:50 PM
Originally Posted by wdb
Uhm, no.

Ferrari has been sponsored by Shell since time immemorial, and they use and recommend Shell oils for their cars.

Porsche does use Mobil 1 for the Cayenne factory fill, dunno about their horizontally opposed motors.

Uhm, no. Try 35 years (1974).

Please inform Mobil of this.

http://www.mobil.com/usa-english/fil...A_Brochure.pdf

Old 03-08-2009, 08:05 PM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member

please give him the 800 # fast.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:30 PM
Touched by his noodly appendage
Originally Posted by niko3257
please give him the 800 # fast.
Dude I think I might get some oil and do an oil change while the cars up when were doing the springs. Im at 4850 right now, im sure by the time I get over there ill have 5000. Think im gonna go with 5w-20 pennzoil or mobil 1. I had mobil 1 in my old S2000 and it burned quite a bit. Not sure if that was just the engine though ive read alot about mobil 1 burning more.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:30 AM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by qbmurderer13
Dude I think I might get some oil and do an oil change while the cars up when were doing the springs. Im at 4850 right now, im sure by the time I get over there ill have 5000. Think im gonna go with 5w-20 pennzoil or mobil 1. I had mobil 1 in my old S2000 and it burned quite a bit. Not sure if that was just the engine though ive read alot about mobil 1 burning more.

go for it
i did mine a lone time ago.

Old 03-10-2009, 12:24 AM
wdb
5 Year Member
They informed me:

ExxonMobil Celebrates 30 Years of Mobil 1 Synthetic Leadership; Mobil 1 Has Been the World Leader in Synthetic Motor Oil Technology and Innovation since 1974 | Business Wire | Find Articles at BNET
April 13, 2004 ExxonMobil is commemorating three decades of innovation and leadership in synthetic motor oils with the 30th anniversary of Mobil 1. Since its introduction in 1974, Mobil 1 has outperformed conventional oils and has become the world's number one-selling synthetic motor oil.

Quick Reply: Oil Recommendations?