General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Accuracy of Fit Gas Mileage Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 03:12 PM
5 Year Member
Accuracy of Fit Gas Mileage Gauge

After religiously monitoring my gas mileage for the first 8000 kms I have found that the gas mileage gauge on my 2009 Fit to be pretty well useless. The average km/100L readings were off by an average of 14%. Pretty disappointing that Honda engineers let this through. Anyone else seeing this or is it my gauge that is defective.

Old 12-23-2008, 03:21 PM
It seems like it is normal for all gas mileage gauges to be off. Some were saying that the scan gauges over time increase the % of being off. Your best bet is just to divide your miles driven by gas put in the car.....

Old 12-23-2008, 03:48 PM
5 Year Member
It's too bad just about ALL FE gauges on cars are inaccurate. If our Fits' gauges were accurate I would much rather keep the display on that rather than the odometer.

Old 12-23-2008, 03:59 PM
My last car was a Saab and its fuel efficiency gauge was pretty useless, as are pretty much every one I've encountered. I wouldn't blame Honda as no one seems to have really been able to get it right.

Old 12-23-2008, 06:11 PM
5 Year Member
Then my question would be, why include a useless gas mileage gauge in the first place? I would much rather have a second trip odometer.

Old 12-24-2008, 10:27 PM
because all car companies love useless ass parts that they can make you pay more for.

Old 12-25-2008, 10:56 AM
5 Year Member
i use it more as a reminder not to accelerate too quickly haha, im happy if im in the 6.x L/100km range but once i hit the 8.x L/100km that when i kno i should take it easy on the throttle

Old 12-28-2008, 01:27 AM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by panda1314
i use it more as a reminder not to accelerate too quickly haha, im happy if im in the 6.x L/100km range but once i hit the 8.x L/100km that when i kno i should take it easy on the throttle
I have been trying to figure out a way to get where I need to go, downhill, both ways. Such excellent mileage going down hill!

Also, instead of accelerating, getting out to push it to get it going, LOL!

I can see it now, being pulled over by the police...

Police: "Ma'am, what are you doing?"

Me: "I'm pushing my car to the store to save gas, but I'll drive it home when it's full of groceries and supplies"

Old 12-28-2008, 01:51 AM
I just put in my first tank of gas, and reset the trip meter. I'm planning on keeping a steady log of gas milage from day one (not counting the first tank that it came with). The gauge has been holding pretty steady at 42ish in town and 48ish hwy, which I just don't believe.

Old 12-28-2008, 09:17 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by blythe
I just put in my first tank of gas, and reset the trip meter. I'm planning on keeping a steady log of gas milage from day one (not counting the first tank that it came with). The gauge has been holding pretty steady at 42ish in town and 48ish hwy, which I just don't believe.
Geez, what tire pressures are you running? 55?

Old 12-28-2008, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT
Geez, what tire pressures are you running? 55?
Haven't changed it since I got it from the dealer, but I'll check it today to see if they over-inflated. I'm more inclined to believe that it's my driving style, since I solidly got 35mpg out of my 2000 Saturn SL2. I call myself a "lazy" driver - when coming to a stop I switch into neutral ASAP, when excellerating I switch to higher gears ASAP. I'm also still driving pretty cautiously since I just got the Fit a couple of weeks ago and I've never had an actual new car before.

If the gauge is 14% off, as Gamin states, then I'm really only getting 36mpg in town, which seems to be on-par with everyone else. Again, I'll calculate for real when I get my next tank.

Old 12-28-2008, 03:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by blythe
Haven't changed it since I got it from the dealer, but I'll check it today to see if they over-inflated. I'm more inclined to believe that it's my driving style, since I solidly got 35mpg out of my 2000 Saturn SL2. I call myself a "lazy" driver - when coming to a stop I switch into neutral ASAP, when excellerating I switch to higher gears ASAP. I'm also still driving pretty cautiously since I just got the Fit a couple of weeks ago and I've never had an actual new car before.

If the gauge is 14% off, as Gamin states, then I'm really only getting 36mpg in town, which seems to be on-par with everyone else. Again, I'll calculate for real when I get my next tank.
Still, many people here drove gingerly during break in including me. I was using the neutral method too, in fact I've been using that since I started driving in '85, but I still "only" managed a manually calculated 34-35 in L.A. driving. My highest was on an LA/Vegas road trip. With strong head winds and hills doing 70 with AC, the gauge showed 45.9 mpg. The concensus around here (started by me in August) is that the gauge is USUALLY around 4 mpg optimistic.

I have a manual btw. I run 34F/32R psi.

If you're truly getting that kind of mileage, your gauge must be severely off, you're running high psi, all of the above, or you're just very lucky.

Old 12-28-2008, 06:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Gamin
After religiously monitoring my gas mileage for the first 8000 kms I have found that the gas mileage gauge on my 2009 Fit to be pretty well useless. The average km/100L readings were off by an average of 14%. Pretty disappointing that Honda engineers let this through. Anyone else seeing this or is it my gauge that is defective.

Mine is fairly accurate; error within 5%. I count on 100 miles at 3/4; 150 miles at half-tank and 210 at 1/4 tank. While thats not instrument accuracy, its pretty good for a cheap level float.
Did you religiously fill the tab\nk to a specific repeatable level measured by a dipstick?
Refilling a Fit gas tank is very hard to do to a specific level. Without the dipstick I don't think we ever got within half-gallon of the same lecvel.

Old 12-29-2008, 11:40 AM
Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT
Still, many people here drove gingerly during break in including me. I was using the neutral method too, in fact I've been using that since I started driving in '85, but I still "only" managed a manually calculated 34-35 in L.A. driving. My highest was on an LA/Vegas road trip. With strong head winds and hills doing 70 with AC, the gauge showed 45.9 mpg. The concensus around here (started by me in August) is that the gauge is USUALLY around 4 mpg optimistic.

I have a manual btw. I run 34F/32R psi.

If you're truly getting that kind of mileage, your gauge must be severely off, you're running high psi, all of the above, or you're just very lucky.
Sure enough, I checked the tire pressure and it was at 36 psi both front and rear. Probably a trick by the dealership

Old 12-31-2008, 09:05 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mahout
Did you religiously fill the tab\nk to a specific repeatable level measured by a dipstick?
Refilling a Fit gas tank is very hard to do to a specific level. Without the dipstick I don't think we ever got within half-gallon of the same lecvel.
I realize that I will not get a perfect measurement of gas mileage. Still with my method the gauge was off by between 13% and 15% or avg 1.5 gallons. Sucks which ever way you look at it.