General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Strange noise coming from the dash/vents

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 04:50 PM
Strange noise coming from the dash/vents

Hi. I'm new here, but I hope someone can help.

I've got a 2007 Fit with a good amount of miles on it. Recently things started getting cold where I am. It was around this time that I started hearing a very strange sound coming from my middle AC vents. It almost sounds like little pieces of ice flying around in there. It happens when I first hit the ignition and under certain momentum conditions. I've taken it to several shops and they all shrugged it off saying "If it's gonna break, it's gonna break." Which obviously pisses me off. They mentioned the SB about the gas sloshing around, but it's definitely not that.

If anyone has any idea what this could be, or could give me good instruction on how to open that shit up and check it out for myself, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by supermattzor; 12-22-2008 at 04:54 PM.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:23 PM
5 Year Member
Try turning the fan off, turn the key the run position without starting the engine, and then turn the fan on. Does the noise start then? Likely there is some piece of foreign matter down in the fan housing. I'm not trekking outside right now to see how difficult it would be to do, because it's 5°F outside, but removing the fan and checking for debris might be the answer.

It's remarkable the amount of crap that ends up falling into air vents.

Last edited by E = Mc2; 12-22-2008 at 08:28 PM.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:00 PM
Thanks for the reply. I was actually going to do that tomorrow. I'll post the results.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:57 AM
Also check to see if the coolant level is low. Recently I started to hear some strange noise coming from my dash of my 2007 Fit. I would hear water gashing sound in the front area when I first started the car. Along with that, there's this weird noise come out whenever the car moves from a stop. It sounded like some loose screws rolling around in the duct. I went through a few forum posts here and went to check my coolant level and the overflow tank was empty. So I topped off my radiator and refilled my overflow tank. The noise went away since. I guess air bubbles trapped in the heater core make funny noise like that.

Good luck and Merry Christmas.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:07 AM
Yeah. I read that in one of the other posts about similar noises. I filled the tank (the radiator was already topped off) and still hear the noise. I haven't done any substantial driving since then though.

"Loose screws" defines my problem pretty well. It almost sounded like little ice chips in the air ducts. It's really weird.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:36 AM
Careful. Strange noises could be one of these, and you don't want to see him when he gets wet:

Name:  gremlins.jpg
Views: 1489
Size:  8.4 KB

Old 12-23-2008, 11:45 AM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by supermattzor
Yeah. I read that in one of the other posts about similar noises. I filled the tank (the radiator was already topped off) and still hear the noise. I haven't done any substantial driving since then though.

"Loose screws" defines my problem pretty well. It almost sounded like little ice chips in the air ducts. It's really weird.
I'm wondering if some little "gremlins" (kids perhaps) put something like paper clips into your vents. Something sounds like it's hitting the fan (and not the brown stuff). Can you get up under the dash and check it out?

Old 12-23-2008, 12:09 PM
5 Year Member
lol gremlins....

Old 12-23-2008, 05:39 PM
Yeah. I've looked back behind my glove box. I didn't see anything. I looked specifically for gremlins too.

Is it possible it's the heater coil?

Old 01-09-2009, 05:56 PM
Update

I think it was liquid in the heater coil. It's warmed up a lot here and I haven't heard the sounds since the temperatures started rising.

Thanks for the replies!