General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

15% of all Fits made are manual?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 01:41 AM
5 Year Member
15% of all Fits made are manual?

I've pre-ordered my Fit Sport 5 speed manual in red, and my dealer told me that overall production of the Fit will comprise of only 15% being manual. He said that may push the date for me receiving my vehicle to May

Any truth to this? Has anyone else heard the same?

Old 02-23-2006, 01:52 AM
I heard this somewhere also, where in Cali are you if you dont mind me asking? I am in Central Cali, I called Selma Honda today, the sales manager told me they have 9 fits coming in at the end of March, 7 Automatic and 2 Manual but that is all he knows about them, doesnt know the colors of them or if they are base or sport models so I asked him to call me as soon as he gets that info.

But ya it doesnt seem like many US Fits will be in Manual. Honda isnt really advertising the sport potential of the 5MT but rather the Shift buttons equipped on the steering wheel's of the 5AT Fits. Not sure what Honda is trying to accomplish by pushing this aspect of the Automatic Fits but with only 109hp stock, no amount of mechanical innovation is really gonna help your efforts in getting people to think of the Fit as a sporty car.

Old 02-23-2006, 02:26 AM
5 Year Member
thats crap. why would they do that?

Old 02-23-2006, 02:30 AM
5 Year Member
Nor Cal...btw, I have relatives in Delano, not sure how close that is to Selma Honda.

The dealership I'm working with is really cool, I'm expecting to pay $300 over cost at the most (how much I got my 99 EM1 for when they first came out in March 1999). He let me order the exact model I wanted, but warned me that it may be a while before a red manual sport hits their lot.

Old 02-23-2006, 04:15 AM
5 Year Member
I have heard similar ratios for other cars in the not-total-sports-car catagories. Keep the faith that there are enough people out there who don't want a manual. I am sure there will be plenty to go around for those of us who like to shift for ourselves.

Still don't know why anyone would not want to, but I am happy they do. I used to drive a manual Corvette and Mustang GT (company cars) in LA traffic, and still never wished for a slushbox.

Old 02-23-2006, 06:35 AM
Originally Posted by BKKJack
Keep the faith that there are enough people out there who don't want a manual.

Still don't know why anyone would not want to, but I am happy they do. I used to drive a manual Corvette and Mustang GT (company cars) in LA traffic, and still never wished for a slushbox.
I've never had an auto and never want one. I tend to make really horrible shifts driving autos when my left foot hits the brake pedal. But, it seems manuals are going away faster than ever. It is so hard to talk on the phone, eat breakfast, and put on makeup while you smoke with a stick in bumper-to-bumper traffic.

Nice company cars, BTW.

Old 02-23-2006, 07:58 AM
For those who have never strayed from Granny Tranny they figure up all the excuses on why they see no need for MT.

As for me; most 4cyl, Japanese compact and subcompact cars are maximized with MT. You bastardize a car's potential torque and power with the AT, but I guess if you are in bumper to bumper traffic kind of commuter your playing card may be dealt for you.

I appreciate the intuitive and high level of co-ordination and control I have over the car in everyday driving and manouvers. Even the occasional light to heavy snow here in Toronto and with winter tires I out handle cars in my class.

To each his/her own when they purchase their vehicle though. It's only in N.A. that the fear of manual transmission amongst the masses is prevalent. We need to smoke, drink, curl our hair, put on make-up, breastfeed and dial our cellphone while we drive dammit. Who would have thought that driving purist would want full control.

Last edited by CarDemon; 02-23-2006 at 08:01 AM.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:03 AM
Shop around if they yank your chain

That's BS. Even if its true its not your problem. Shop around until you find your product. Dealer is yanking your chain. I will buy an Automatic as will most City traffic drivers. But there should be plenty manuals for those who want them.

Old 02-23-2006, 10:23 AM
kps
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
Originally Posted by CarDemon
We need to smoke, drink, curl our hair, put on make-up, breastfeed and dial our cellphone while we drive dammit.
I don't smoke or use makeup, or have breasts or hair, but still... one major advantage of the Toyota over the Honda is that they put a cup holder left of the wheel -- if I get a Yaranaika I could drink and shift at the same time.

Old 02-23-2006, 01:40 PM
Avid FitFreak Poster
I know that there will only be 15% of all Fits in NA to be manuals. Which means that is good for us that will have them LOL

Old 02-23-2006, 06:14 PM
5 Year Member
15% = crap.

Old 02-23-2006, 07:32 PM
The dealer let you put a deposit down and took you out of the market. All Honda cars are allocated to dealers each month while they can make request for certain colors/trim levels etc. each month, nearly every trim level and or color has some sort of restriction on it that will limit what comes in. This is why it may take a while to fill your "order". Also from what I have heard 15% sounds about right for the manual production. Honda was planning an earlier release but delayed it becuase of a shortage of automatic transmissions for the US market.

Old 02-23-2006, 08:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hondafitguy
Also from what I have heard 15% sounds about right for the manual production. Honda was planning an earlier release but delayed it becuase of a shortage of automatic transmissions for the US market.
Which begs the question (again), what about the effing CVT that is available to the rest of the world? Not that I would want one, but it seems Honda opened its own, very unnecessary can of worms. If our friend and "Senior" product planner Christina Ra championed that decision, she should be on a soup-line somewhere.

Old 02-23-2006, 09:43 PM
Avid FitFreak Poster
Well all I know is it also depends on the rating of your Honda dealership has with Honda of America. Sales, Service, & so on. Honda gives every dealership a rating and the high in the rank you are the easier it is to get the cars you want and also depends on how soon you get them aswell.

Old 02-23-2006, 09:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kps
I don't smoke or use makeup, or have breasts or hair, but still... one major advantage of the Toyota over the Honda is that they put a cup holder left of the wheel -- if I get a Yaranaika I could drink and shift at the same time.
Well that is true......in the right hand drive models :P

Old 02-23-2006, 10:30 PM
i dont think id touch an auto. every honda ive ever owned has been manual. The autos ive driven, didnt leave me impressed, from a performance standpoint. now the tuff part.... do i trade in my STI daily driver for a fit? lol. at least the Fit would be almost paid for cash all said and done!