General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Bluwave or other Hybrid Converter?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 08:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GreenMan
But the Myth Buster test was using Hydrogen as a sole fuel source, not HHO with gas.. so it was a flawed test because that is not ow these systems are suppose to work per their websites. My experience admittedly is limited with these systems. I have seen one which appears to have figured it out or at least has made some advancement on the technology/idea. It's a company called Hydrogen Hybrid Fuel Corp, out of California. It's system for Semi - trucks was put through a test and it was captured on video.. hydbusa.com It looks pretty impressive.

Overall there are a lot of BS products.. Heard a lot about BluWave but have yet to see any indep installs, or proof that it works since first hearing about it this past August. The BBB report I see on this site doesn't make me feel any more comfortable with that companies products or its ability to stand behind it either but that should not keep one from investigating this promising technology..

HHO is shorthand for h20, or water.
Its all a fraud. The electrical power required to disassociate hydrogen from water is far greater than you can get back by 'enriching' the inlet air with hydrogen and cutting back on gasoline. And yes, enrichment is not a hybrid.
And we did see one here and easily shown to have no effect whatsoever beyond wasting the battery.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:12 PM
Originally Posted by Kibosh
The average amp draw on a properly completed hydrogen generator is around 20amps and your head lights draw on average 80amps.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

But seriously, please stop talking.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:18 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Kibosh
The average amp draw on a properly completed hydrogen generator is around 20amps and your head lights draw on average 80amps.
We'll, this is incorrect. If headlights draw 80 amps, and headlights each draw 55 Watts on low beam, then this breaks Ohms law.

P = I x E

Where P = Power in watts, I = Current in Amps, and E = Voltage.

Each light is 55 Watt in low beam. 2 lights together are 110 Watts.

Rearrange this formula for the unknown (amps)

We know voltage (12 volts)

P / E = I

110 Watts / 12 volts = 9.166 amps.

That's nowhere near the quoted 80 amps.

You really need to consider your sources of data before you quote them.

Old 02-14-2009, 04:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Roger's Fit
We'll, this is incorrect. If headlights draw 80 amps, and headlights each draw 55 Watts on low beam, then this breaks Ohms law.

P = I x E

Where P = Power in watts, I = Current in Amps, and E = Voltage.

Each light is 55 Watt in low beam. 2 lights together are 110 Watts.

Rearrange this formula for the unknown (amps)

We know voltage (12 volts)

P / E = I

110 Watts / 12 volts = 9.166 amps.

That's nowhere near the quoted 80 amps.

You really need to consider your sources of data before you quote them.

Some cars run both low and high beam lights simultaneously (55 and 100 watts per side) and can draw a total of 310 watts with those four headlights. That's 25.8 amps. Eighty amps still stretches it a bit.
And known data on hydrogen generation couldn't generate enough hydrogen at 100 amps (much less 20) to make even a small dent in fuel consumption. The horsepower it takes to generate even 100 amps is enough to use more fuel than the energy returned from burning the hydrogen.
There ain't no free lunch.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:19 PM
wdb
5 Year Member
Wow, this is very interesting reading so far. There's even a ringer, here on l'il old fitfreak, trying to sell the snake oil! Good thing a few of us actually listened in science class, eh.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:08 PM
5 Year Member
I have read the installation docs for one of the better ones of these and have discovered 2 things:

1) After installation of the complete system, fuel economy will increase;

2) The mechanism that increases fuel economy is NOT the water-reforming part, but the O2 sensor part.

Basically, it leans out the mixture a bit, getting you better fuel economy when you drive slower. The HHO or hydrogen (they are NOT the same thing) does little or nothing at all. They encourage you to drive with a light foot, which will of course enhance the effect.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:39 PM
I'll stick to my turbonators.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:54 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Scratch&Dent
I have read the installation docs for one of the better ones of these and have discovered 2 things:

1) After installation of the complete system, fuel economy will increase;

2) The mechanism that increases fuel economy is NOT the water-reforming part, but the O2 sensor part.

Basically, it leans out the mixture a bit, getting you better fuel economy when you drive slower. The HHO or hydrogen (they are NOT the same thing) does little or nothing at all. They encourage you to drive with a light foot, which will of course enhance the effect.

In other words, if you drive easier you'll get better mpg. Surprise !
What'd you get from the H2 system? Nothing. The O2 sensor is independent of the fuel flow. Its a hoax.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:56 PM
5 Year Member
Actually, the O2 sensor (there are two, this is the one in front of the catalytic converter) has much to do with fuel flow. The computer uses it to regulate the amount of fuel going into the cylinders. That's why the 'hybrid' hydrogen systems bypass it. That's how you lean out the mixture.

Yes, the hydrogen part is a hoax. But you will run into people who know the system "works" and can testify in court that installing it improved THEIR mileage. That's why I replied in the first place: so that everyone here knows WHY you get better mileage from these things.

Just tweak the O2 sensor signal and fool the computer into sending less fuel. And many folks here know that leaning out the mixture too much can cause the engine to run hot, and WILL make emissions go up.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:25 PM
Hybrid conversion

Originally Posted by Pegasaur
Hi all, I'm thinking about adding a hybrid conversion kit to my Fit, like the one offered at www.bluwavehybrid.com. Anyone had any experience with any of these kinds of aftermarket kits? Any praise or hurdles you rain into? Recommendations? Did you improve your Fit's mileage?

Thanks to all who reply. If this has been posted elsewhere, I didn't find it but please let me know which thread it is.
Peg
Dude, the conversion you are talking about is hydrogen, you moron!! I got one similar and it kick ass but I have an older car. It will only works if you know how to shut off your 02 sensor, but that's illegal in the States. Didn't you read their warning label???? I checked their website and went to warranty page. They have posted their limitations that means they know what they are doing. These type of device is not new and are available from publicly traded companies in Canada. They definitely work but read the limitations carefully before buying.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:54 PM
Hho

Originally Posted by mahout
HHO is shorthand for h20, or water.
Its all a fraud. The electrical power required to disassociate hydrogen from water is far greater than you can get back by 'enriching' the inlet air with hydrogen and cutting back on gasoline. And yes, enrichment is not a hybrid.
And we did see one here and easily shown to have no effect whatsoever beyond wasting the battery.
Fraud? What's the matter with you? Have you seen the movie "who killed the electric car?" Have you wondered why internal combustion engines have not changed for decades? Even our Pres. Obama said that Model T has better fuel efficiency than current SUVs. Something/someone big in this country is pulling a stunt to all of us. That's my belief. Because we consume 25% of world's oil. You got that figure in your head? You only see what they want you to see. Have you tried asking those who tried HHO in diesel trucks? Because it works. And I used it on an old car with a busted 02 sensor and it worked for months. I even have increased power. Then stupid me I replaced the 02 sensor and it reverted back to original mileage and ran like a turtle. Good thing the gas prices dropped. If you really want to understand hydrogen since it seems you needed education in this area, go to Department of Energy - Homepage, go to alternative fuels and type: hydrogen. You may find that if that is tapped, there's a lot of industries will be in big trouble.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:15 PM
Originally Posted by bestprelude91
Fraud? What's the matter with you? Have you seen the movie "who killed the electric car?" Have you wondered why internal combustion engines have not changed for decades? Even our Pres. Obama said that Model T has better fuel efficiency than current SUVs. Something/someone big in this country is pulling a stunt to all of us. That's my belief. Because we consume 25% of world's oil. You got that figure in your head? You only see what they want you to see. Have you tried asking those who tried HHO in diesel trucks? Because it works. And I used it on an old car with a busted 02 sensor and it worked for months. I even have increased power. Then stupid me I replaced the 02 sensor and it reverted back to original mileage and ran like a turtle. Good thing the gas prices dropped. If you really want to understand hydrogen since it seems you needed education in this area, go to Department of Energy - Homepage, go to alternative fuels and type: hydrogen. You may find that if that is tapped, there's a lot of industries will be in big trouble.
Fuel cell vehicles combine hydrogen and oxygen to create electricity. This is completely different to use your engine to split water into hydrogen and oxygen, then injecting that into the manifold. You CANNOT get back more energy than you put in.
If you use energy to break the water into hydrogen and oxygen, and then combine that hydrogen and oxygen to get energy, you end up with less energy, not more. If you ended up with more energy, then we would run our engines on pure hydrogen and end up with infinite energy.
It kind of sounds like you believe in perpetual motion, and that the government/corporations/whoever have been keeping it under wraps.
GM crushed their EV-1s because they didn't want to have to deal with the bad publicity once they started exploding. It wasn't a conspiracy.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:16 PM
Hydrogen As a Stimulant

Originally Posted by Scratch&Dent
Actually, the O2 sensor (there are two, this is the one in front of the catalytic converter) has much to do with fuel flow. The computer uses it to regulate the amount of fuel going into the cylinders. That's why the 'hybrid' hydrogen systems bypass it. That's how you lean out the mixture.

Yes, the hydrogen part is a hoax. But you will run into people who know the system "works" and can testify in court that installing it improved THEIR mileage. That's why I replied in the first place: so that everyone here knows WHY you get better mileage from these things.

Just tweak the O2 sensor signal and fool the computer into sending less fuel. And many folks here know that leaning out the mixture too much can cause the engine to run hot, and WILL make emissions go up.
Actually, the process where the use of hydrogen, through electrolysis used as a stimulant is well documented by many, many universities and laboratories. I am not a science guy but I read the manuscript from George Vosper, a Canadian Dynamic professor. Just search his name. He can explain better. Electrolysis existed way back. The Egyptian created it-as far as I know. Batteries produce energy by electrolysis. I tried this process to an old car. I saw it, drove it, and it worked until a replaced the O2 sensor. So I believe it works. But it is selective to certain vehicles.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:28 AM
5 Year Member
@bestprelude91: If it stopped working after you replaced the O2 sensor, then you can see how it really works: it fools with the O2 sensor signal. The hydrogen generator does hardly anything. I read the installation instructions for one of these, and they specifically tell you to install a gadget that fools with the O2 sensor signal. If the hydrogen generator itself did what they said it does, then after you replaced the O2 sensor, you would get MORE power because the hydrogen would be burned with MORE gasoline. Obviously that isn't what happened. The O2 sensor signal was being messed with.

Everyone else: You should know that HHO is NOT the same as water. It is the byproduct of water electrolysis: 2 parts H2, 1 part O2. It's used for welding, among other things. Oxyhydrogen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-08-2009, 12:35 AM
5 Year Member
Oh, by the way, if you really want a more efficient engine, the basic design is all screwed up. The crankshaft-connecting rod-piston arrangement is about as inefficient as possible. These guys at Revetec have redesigned the engine from the ground up for efficiency. A very crude 8-valve prototype managed to be about twice as efficient as any other engine on the market. By itself, it matched the efficiency of the Prius's ENTIRE hybrid system, and it's very cheap to make.

Revetec Homepage