General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Looking for opinions...new Fit delivery

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 11:58 AM
Looking for opinions...new Fit delivery

I'll try to keep a long story short.

One month ago my dealer and I came to terms on a deal. They would pay me $xxx for my trade and find a Fit optioned as requested. It was agreed that they would take a Fit that another dealer had ordered and was to be built 11/13. The story I get now is that the car has been built, but has not shipped.

The dealer is now trying to get a Fit from a different dealer that is several hundred miles away. They admitted that they want a car as quickly as possible because the auction market is tanking and they fear they will lose money on my trade. Personally, I want the fresh from the factory car since they would likely drive the other one the several hundred miles to my dealer.

I've always bought new cars with only a few miles on the odo. Should I push to wait for the car from the factory or just suck it up and take the other one if they can get it more quickly?

Old 12-11-2008, 12:03 PM
Well at least the break in period would almost be over lol....no but seriosuly I would take whatever got there first. As long as the one driven from another dealer was showroom new. Make sure theres NOTHING wrong with it, because once you drive it off the lot its on you.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:05 PM
5 Year Member
Tough call as I feel everything you are saying. But yeah, the auction market is tanking which makes the value of nearly every car drop.

I think your trade might drop a grand or more, so me personally I'd take the car with 200 miles on it or something like consider a second color choice.

my humble $.02

Old 12-11-2008, 02:53 PM
5 Year Member
wait for the fresh from factory car... thats what i would do!

Old 12-11-2008, 04:35 PM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FL FIT
I'll try to keep a long story short.

One month ago my dealer and I came to terms on a deal. They would pay me $xxx for my trade and find a Fit optioned as requested. It was agreed that they would take a Fit that another dealer had ordered and was to be built 11/13. The story I get now is that the car has been built, but has not shipped.

The dealer is now trying to get a Fit from a different dealer that is several hundred miles away. They admitted that they want a car as quickly as possible because the auction market is tanking and they fear they will lose money on my trade. Personally, I want the fresh from the factory car since they would likely drive the other one the several hundred miles to my dealer.

I've always bought new cars with only a few miles on the odo. Should I push to wait for the car from the factory or just suck it up and take the other one if they can get it more quickly?
Depends. If you want to play hardball with them, you could hold their feet to the fire for the original order. Why hasn't it shipped, BTW? That kind of sounds like BS to me. Like there was another sale on that same car? You know that crap dealers play...

You could take the other car but make them trailer it to you. They might not agree to that b/c it would mean more money out of their pocket.

Are they the same color and options?

I bought my '08 Fit with 1030 on the odo, and it's worked out fine for me, but of course I'd have preferred to get a brand-new one. I just didn't pick the right time to start looking for an '08...and I KNEW I didn't want an '09.

Old 12-11-2008, 06:40 PM
FYI, I'm waiting for my car, built during the 11/19 production run (2 week production runs from my understanding), it's on the ship headed toward Portland now per the dealer.

Odd that a car built prior to that would be sitting somewhere other than on a ship/train/truck. Something doesn't sound right. I've waited months for the vehicle I wanted, I'm all about good karma, do what feels right. Waiting has it's own rewards imho. Good luck.

Old 12-11-2008, 06:53 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Roland
FYI, I'm waiting for my car, built during the 11/19 production run (2 week production runs from my understanding), it's on the ship headed toward Portland now per the dealer.

Odd that a car built prior to that would be sitting somewhere other than on a ship/train/truck. Something doesn't sound right. I've waited months for the vehicle I wanted, I'm all about good karma, do what feels right. Waiting has it's own rewards imho. Good luck.
With the entire world in a state of upheaval, and absolutely nothing being dependable, I would take the option that gets you the Fit with the color and options that you want the quickest. If that means that you have an extra few hundred miles on the odo., I would still take it. Every day without a Fit (or other gas sipping car) is costing you money. Today's low gas prices will change in an instant, whenever a good excuse occurs.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:19 PM
FALCON PUNCH!!
5 Year Member
I apologize for my off topic question, but what dealer is this?

Old 12-11-2008, 07:21 PM
I'm going to the dealer tomorrow for some face-time and hopefully honest answers. I'll let you know what is happening. The car, BTW, is a Milano Red Sport with MT. Evidently the hardest frickin' combo to get!

Old 12-11-2008, 07:35 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by FL FIT
I'm going to the dealer tomorrow for some face-time and hopefully honest answers. I'll let you know what is happening. The car, BTW, is a Milano Red Sport with MT. Evidently the hardest frickin' combo to get!
We wish you the best of luck, FL.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:41 PM
5 Year Member
It could be possibly that they are waiting until the cars that were built 11/28 be shipped along with it. Just a convenience IMO.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:54 PM
5 Year Member
I sure hope your Fit and our Fit are sharing the same ship. Let us know what you learn at the dealer.

Old 12-11-2008, 10:37 PM
Originally Posted by avocado123
I apologize for my off topic question, but what dealer is this?
Tampa HondaLand

Old 12-12-2008, 12:52 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i think they will either flatbed it or load it up on a carrier with other cars.

let them know you dont want hundreds of miles on the odo due to
possible rock chips, etc during the drive.

Old 12-12-2008, 12:58 PM
If it will cost you more money to wait, then go with what they have, if not, and you can wait, go for the ordered one. Best of Luck!

Old 12-12-2008, 02:30 PM
5 Year Member
well nice choise in color! that what i have in my '08 MR MT!!!!! FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-13-2008, 10:05 AM
BIG UPDATE

Well, I went to the dealer yesterday to see what the deal was with my incoming Milano Red Fit. For reference this process started on 11/12 when the dealer and I agreed on a trade-in price for my BMW.

Yesterday I was told the car was nowhere to be found in production. The only explanation was that the car might have been dropped from production due to Honda's recent production cut for North America. This after last week I was told it was built. Who knows? This could all be true or it could be dealer BS, I'll never know.

The bottom line was that if I wanted a red Sport MT I'd have to wait an undertermined amount of time. If I chose to do this there was no way they would honor the agreed upon price for the trade. I understood their position as the BMWs are sinking like a rock at wholesale.

As luck would have it they had 3 Sport MTs and the ground and one was black. Black was my original choice before I got a bug up my butt about red. Needless to say I took the black at the numbers we agreed upon last month. The car was just off the truck with 3 miles on it. My wife and I put over 100 miles on her yesterday and we're lovin' it so far.

Thanks for listening and the encouragement.

Old 12-13-2008, 01:19 PM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Congrats on getting the car you originally wanted and getting the trade-in deal you wanted! Good for you, and if that was dealer BS, you still got what you wanted.

I think the '09s look best in black.

Old 12-13-2008, 08:01 PM
I think it is best in Red, but black is the runner up.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by juliane

i think the '09s look best in black.

+1. Agree :d