General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Who else has been on the receiving rend of small car hatred?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 08:30 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jeimusu86
i actually hate scooters, i ride "real" bikes and know what the law is, but these guys, im not saying you do; they dont even have a M1 license, this moron, tries to pass through the intersection, as im taking a right turn...i didnt even see him, b/c i let the ppl walking in the cross walk pass first, and he almost hits my car, so i tell the guy u shouldnt pass someone while theyre in the lane taking a right turn...and he starts complaining he has the right of way!?! so i ask him for his license, and he doesnt even have one...what a douche
to my knowledge: in some states (i don't know which), you don't need a license to operate one of those scooters/mopeds.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:18 AM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rod2Rice
Haha happens here too, but I dont let those idiots intimidate me. As long as my kids aren't in the car with me, i'll stand my ground. Had some moron try some crap with me the first few days I had the Fit, in order to show how tough he was he had to blow through a 4 way stop sign intersection and almost hit 2 people. Also ever notice how the largest trucks are driven by little pipsqueaks?
Sometimes they are small like hobbits.

Seriously.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:22 AM
5 Year Member
One advantage to being a blonde - usually I'm too lost in thought to even notice anyone that's raging nearby...Sometimes I notice someone making a gesture and then I wonder, "What did I just do???" and I wave merrily at them...really makes them even angrier...oh well...

Old 12-02-2008, 10:32 AM
5 Year Member
When our company was based in the UK, I used to go over quite a bit and was always fascinated by all of the small cars. You got used to it after a while and then, coming back to Texas was a real shock. All of these big vehicles, usually with one person driving them, bearing down on you. It make even less sense now.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:29 AM
i hate those people that drive trucks around my town. theyre all racist wanna be hillbilly's its rediculous. they rock their confederate flags and "hillbilly deluxe" stickers on their rear window. faggots. haha

Old 12-02-2008, 12:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Juliane
One advantage to being a blonde - usually I'm too lost in thought to even notice anyone that's raging nearby...Sometimes I notice someone making a gesture and then I wonder, "What did I just do???" and I wave merrily at them...really makes them even angrier...oh well...
Not so much blonds as being female - I noticed that women generally aren't anywhere as aware of things around them than men. Since men are visual by nature, they're always looking for interesting things to looks at around them. (i.e. women). Women tend to have their eyes and minds on what they're doing, or just daydreaming. In that sense I wish I were a girl.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by prufrock
It'll take years to alter the Neanderthals' thinking that "bigger is better." This concept is so typically "American" that I can see why the Fit had to come from across the ocean....
And it's really unfortunate that Canadians gets shafted on the Fit options because we're lumped in with the US market. We appreciate smaller cars more, at least in the cities, and I've not encountered the hatred some of you describe.

Some of it must be due to it being a Honda, so you're "unpatriotic" for not supporting the Big 3. In Canada, *all* cars are foreign, so it's far harder to hate based on that :P

In fact, I encountered far more contempt and aggressive driving directed at us when we were driving the corporate Hummer at my old job. I couldn't believe the number of times we were cut off by smaller cars, all in a 30-minute span.

Old 12-06-2008, 12:25 AM
5 Year Member
First of all, screw the big three, they haven't made anything exciting since the 60's. Everyone else saw the market changing and changed with it. Let 'em die.

As for the road ragers I encounter everyday, I have to laugh. I drive between 63-67 depending on traffic. I stay in the slow lane, but I still get the tailgaters and dirty looks. It's kind of the point though, I'm showing them that I don't mind driving, I actually enjoy the time I spend on the road, in my Fit. And I hope that the smile and the wave I give them as they pass pisses them off even more.

Old 12-06-2008, 12:29 AM
Originally Posted by zukered
Some of it must be due to it being a Honda, so you're "unpatriotic" for not supporting the Big 3.
That's very true. Also, people just haven't warmed up to the European flavor of small cars, big versatility. I just realized that's where Nissan got the name Versa. Smart-ass Japanese!!!!

Old 12-06-2008, 02:54 AM
Unbelievable. I feel like a retard. I've been trying to figure out where that name came from since Nakamura Hiro rented one on Heroes.

Old 12-06-2008, 03:00 AM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
seems that my favorite question from all SUV or truck or non honda import owners is "Is that a hybrid?" i just laugh and say "nope. its hydrogen!" i get crap all the time from the subaru crew about being eco friendly, especially with my nice spoon parts.

Old 12-06-2008, 10:12 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by doctordoom
to my knowledge: in some states (i don't know which), you don't need a license to operate one of those scooters/mopeds.
The traffic laws can get weird for bicyclists and scooters under 50cc. I don't know the laws in every state but in VA, a couple of odd details exist -

1. Bicyclists are sometimes pedestrians and sometimes vehicles depending on where they are traveling. In a crosswalk/sidewalk, they have the same RoW status as pedestrians. On the streets, they generally have to behave like vehicles.
2. 50cc scooters require no license and generally fall under the same rules as bicyclists if they are under a certain HP and restricted to 30mph or less.
3. It is legal in VA for bicyclists and 50cc scooters to ride between cars if they are riding between a right-hand turn lane and a normal lane.

There are other quirky details in the VA law so don't take the above as a total summary. In some cases, some restrictions are left to local regs. Bicycles can be prohibited from sidewalks by local regs for example.

These are not the same in every state so if you're interested, you should look at the state code. I found a couple of websites documenting the states laws but it's been awhile since I've looked at them. Don't trust the DMV staff for an expert opinion either, they don't usually know the laws well. I found the state police to be more knowledgeable and accurate. If you really want to know, look at the laws yourself. For traffic regs, they are usually an easy read and web accessible.

Old 12-06-2008, 10:22 AM
I haven't noticed anything of the sort through the life of two Civics and now the Fit.

Driving a Honda, my Astro cargo van or riding a bicycle, I have encountered plenty of jerks, male and female, driving or riding all sorts of vehicles. Luckily, the're in the minority, and will probably be attended to by Darwin.

Old 12-06-2008, 11:44 AM
survival of the "fit"test FTW!

Old 12-06-2008, 01:11 PM
5 Year Member
its not to bad here in WA. shoot everyone here drives pretty small cars

Old 12-06-2008, 01:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Chairman Kaga
A first for me, the other day in my office parking lot, a guy in a Dodge Ram, obviously in a hurry, managed to OVERTAKE me in line to turn out. He was screaming "Get the Mickey Mouse piece of sh*t out of my way or I'm going to run it over!" I really had no choice but to let him around, otherwise risking an accident. Anyone that aggressive and angry, I wouldn't doubt is capable of some actual violence. This being Texas...
I know bicyclists take a lot of abuse from dudes in trucks, but now I'm seeing increasing resentment toward people in small cars. Anyone else experience this?
Office parking lot? As in: the jerk works for the same company? Call the cops and your boss. Seriously. At the very least, he could be charged with 'Terroristic Threats' and reckless driving. At the best, he could be jailed for road rage.

Originally Posted by zukered
Some of it must be due to it being a Honda, so you're "unpatriotic" for not supporting the Big 3. In Canada, *all* cars are foreign, so it's far harder to hate based on that :P
Not quite! All 4th gen Camaros and Firebirds were manufactured in St Therese, Quebec. (Sorry, I don't know how to get the ` above the e in Therese.) That makes those cars Canadian. Matter of fact, almost 1 1/2 million cars were built in Canada last year and more than 1 million commercial vehicles.

I live near a Ford plant and was recently nearly run over by an ass driving an F150 with a 'I work for Ford, I drive a Ford' bumper sticker. I've owned 13 cars, 11 Fords, one Buick, and a Honda. Which one do you think I like best?

Old 12-06-2008, 02:24 PM
Cat
5 Year Member
I had not owned my Fit for too long when I was in line at the local Dairy Queen - pretty summer day so I had the windows rolled down. This bald guy in a Black Dodge Ram parked on the lot and approached my car. He started walking all the way around the car and I got really nervous. I thought for sure he was going to give me grief about owning an import. Instead he walked up to the drivers side and said he really liked my car. I said gee thanks! I did have some jerk pull up hard behind me in a van the other day with an american flag on the front of the vehicle. It was a really older van but I think with all the Japanese stickers my Fit is rocking I just may stay home on Sunday and not drive it at all. People ask me why I put Japanese stickers on the car and I say because my car was born in Japan and that is what owning a Fit for me is all about. Japanese car, Japanese parts, Domo doll on the rearview mirror -

Cat :x

Old 12-06-2008, 02:39 PM
Master FitFaker. CHEA!
Originally Posted by polaski
Unbelievable. I feel like a retard. I've been trying to figure out where that name came from since Nakamura Hiro rented one on Heroes.
haha i remember that episode

Old 12-06-2008, 03:02 PM
Fit Gadget Freak
5 Year Member
I just got home and read though these posts. I have to say that I drive a big truck, an E-350 with a Rockport body. My motor is super powerful.

I do not often speed, people pass me all the time and I don't tailgate...mainly because I can't stop that quickly with one ton on four wheels!

People always seem to tailgate my Fit. May be its because its sooo low that their grill just seems closer?

When someone is tailing me, I go the absolute speed limit! (So, if you want the guy in front of you to pick up speed, try giving him a bit of room!)

I like not having to slow down in corners and the Fit fits this preference of mine to a tee! Leaves the big guys with room to catch-up to continue tailgating me.

And, if you're in such a frickin hurry to get somewhere, LEAVE EARLIER, next time!

Inside, looking out...

The exterior...

Saved the best for last, a comparison...

Later on,

Last edited by theloxmyth; 12-06-2008 at 05:21 PM.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:26 PM
Originally Posted by Fitftw
its not to bad here in WA. shoot everyone here drives pretty small cars
Yep - that's true! In the general Seattle area it seems like people tend to admire smaller cars. I see tons of small cars everywhere (lots of Yarii/Yarises, Fits, SmartforTwos... etc).

Quick Reply: Who else has been on the receiving rend of small car hatred?