General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

paddle shifters

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 03:35 PM
Yes, I know it's available. But how well has it sold? I'm genuinely curious.

Old 01-23-2006, 06:37 PM
cvt

CVT ....Is that a tranny with a belt?????I think that the old Subaru Justy had it 20 years ago....Maybe longer...............

Old 01-24-2006, 04:57 AM
Someone that Posts too much
CVT on Jazz uses a chain not a belt to reduce maintenance. CVT has been around for a long time but there are considerable differences between different CVT implimentations just like there is between different auto transmissions.

Old 01-24-2006, 11:15 AM
Originally Posted by Dom
Actually, you're incorrect on that point....
and how is this? from everything i've read we are getting a 5AT that has gear ratios custom tailored for american driving habits... thus making it a US Exclusive transmission

Old 01-24-2006, 02:17 PM
Question

Originally Posted by vividjazz
CVT on Jazz uses a chain not a belt to reduce maintenance. CVT has been around for a long time but there are considerable differences between different CVT implimentations just like there is between different auto transmissions.
Chain infers "link" construction - last Honda CVT cut-a-way I saw showed a woven metal belt....

Old 01-24-2006, 04:42 PM
Talking Cvt

What does CVT stand for????There was a tranny in the old Justy that used a belt and you could'nt feel the shifts.......I'm a little confused about CVT.... If the timing belt is a chain.......Dat cool 2

Last edited by postman; 01-24-2006 at 04:45 PM.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:57 PM
ecvt

Well I found the answer ..........The 1989 Subaru justy had the ECVT tranny....

Old 01-24-2006, 09:46 PM
Originally Posted by Jonniedee
Chain infers "link" construction - last Honda CVT cut-a-way I saw showed a woven metal belt....
The CVT used in the Jazz definitely uses a chain. I don't know about the CVT used in other Hondas. I'm told some if not all are belts.

The chain looks very similar to my bikes chain.

Old 01-25-2006, 08:40 AM
Question

This also could be one of those cultural things
like sunroof vs. moonroof again...
Here's a couple references to "Metal Belt":
Also Temple of VTEC and Honda PR says belt...

http://world.honda.com/news/2005/c050720_a.html

Honda is the only automaker in the world that produces its own metal belt for the CVT. In addition to procuring belts from external suppliers, Honda produces metal belts at the Suzuka plant.

http://www.hondanews.com/CatID0000?m...42219&mime=asc

"Unlike a conventional transmission with four of five gears that change the final drive ratio in steps, a CVT uses a steel belt and a variable pulley to infinitely change the final drive ratio between a minimum and maximum setting. The variable pulley with its angled internal sides moves in and out by hydraulic pressure to expand or reduce the radius traveled by the steel belt."

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...E13232,00.html

"CVT designs dispense with most of these drawbacks because they dispense with the hydraulics of conventional automatics and replace them with belts and pulleys that give an infinite number of gear ratios within high and low limits. Top and bottom gears are higher and lower than in conventional gearboxes."

Last edited by Jonniedee; 01-25-2006 at 10:27 AM.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:26 PM
Question

But then I found this?
http://www.yehey.com/lifestyle/motor....aspx?id=16443

"A CVT does away with the inefficiencies of the torque converter in conventional slushboxes, and instead uses a system of two pulleys linked by a robust chain to constantly vary the gear ratio."\

I am now more confused - how about a real Jazz / Fit CVT belt/chain pic somebody?

All I could see is the metal ribbed belt-like material on the far right of this L series engine photo - http://asia.vtec.net/Series/FitJazz/...hoto/vtec7.jpg

Last edited by Jonniedee; 01-25-2006 at 03:00 PM.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:27 PM
CVT + Da Vinci Code

Europe and Asia have been using CVT's for some time now. The American market may have other ideas or requirements similar to non standard GSM frequency on their cellphones, go figure.

Continously Variable Transmission is being used on most motor scooters today though initially designed for small cars in the 1950's. Patented in 1886 but conceptualized more than 500 years ago in 1490 by Leonardo da Vinci who sketched a stepless continuously variable transmission.

Yes, your everyday automatic scooter. ie; Honda 50cc's, Honda Ruckus, Metropolitan, Yamaha Jog 70-90cc, Vespa ET4 150cc, Vespa GT200, Yamaha VMax 500cc, Honda Silverwing 600cc, etc... these use CVT's!

IMHO the Honda Jazz CVT extracts the best power to gear ratio and as a result has better gas mileage than it's sibling manual counterpart. That's our first hand experience.

Going back to postman's original question; me thinks paddle shifters are cool and maybe more for convenience.

Last edited by jjmichaels; 01-25-2006 at 05:49 PM.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by Jonniedee
But then I found this?
http://www.yehey.com/lifestyle/motor....aspx?id=16443

"A CVT does away with the inefficiencies of the torque converter in conventional slushboxes, and instead uses a system of two pulleys linked by a robust chain to constantly vary the gear ratio."\

I am now more confused - how about a real Jazz / Fit CVT belt/chain pic somebody?

All I could see is the metal ribbed belt-like material on the far right of this L series engine photo - http://asia.vtec.net/Series/FitJazz/...hoto/vtec7.jpg

I understand if its rubber then its a belt, if its metal then its a chain. I suppose the term metal belt is ok because it highlights that it is not rubber. The last picture looks like thats it.

With sunroof, moonroofs. If its doesn't open like the huge panels on a Tarago van then its a moon roof but if its the small panel like in most cars its a sunroof. Whole roof comes off its a convertible.

I think its funny that sun roofs are most popular in the UK where there is no sun.

Most of the time you can only use them at night in Australia because its too hot or they are good in tilt mode to push the hot air out when you come back to the car in conjuction with the air con. Australia - welcome to that hole in the ozone. Skin cancer is a major killer here. Its bad enough getting melanomas removed from your arms, legs, body and face let alone the top of your head.

Old 01-25-2006, 09:27 PM
5 Year Member
We have that same skin cancer problem in Arizona, in the southern part of the state, anyway. When I go to the drag races, I use a ton of skin protection lotion. The sun really gets to you after awhile. Oh well, that's why you live in an air conditioned house, and go from there to your air conditioned car to your air conditioned work place. What heat? heh heh

Old 01-26-2006, 08:19 AM
Post and back again...

Back to the other interjected topic in this thread:
http://asia.vtec.net/article/mmt/index.html