General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

coolant problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 05:04 PM
coolant problems

I have a 08 fit and I'm having trouble with the coolant. When you start the car up it sounds like the coolant is running thru the heater core. Even when you stop at a redlight you can hear the coolant sloshing around inside of the heater core. I've taken it to the dealer twice and the first time they said it had air in the lines and burped the coolant system. The second time they contacted Honda and they told the dealer to drain the coolant and replace.The car is still doing this and now I'm starting to get pissed! Called the dealer again and they told me to wait until the Honda guy comes in and they will let him look at it. Has anyone else had this problem out of their Fit. What can I do if they don't fix it this time. The car only has 5000 miles and I'm starting to get crappy gas mileage (135 miles out of 3/4 tank of gas). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 11-10-2008, 12:47 AM
I had a similar problem.... I would hear like water running through pipes & when I checked the coolant level it was low and after I toped it off it stoped... so i dont know if that might help even though they replaced your coolant...

Old 11-10-2008, 12:53 AM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
just as a safety precaution i would let the car warm up and then check the tail pipe for white smoke. bad gas mileage and losing coolant might equal a blown head gasket. also try letting the car cool down. then take the radiator cap off and run the car for a short while. if you see bubble there is still air in the system. let it warm up and then put the cap back on and see if that fixed the problem.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:20 AM
Well,I took the the car back today and they replaced the radiator cap. Still didn't fix the problem so they called Honda again and now they are going to replace a heater hose. She said that if that didn't fix it Honda wanted them to pull the head and send it back. They think it could possibly be a bad casting or something.

Old 11-12-2008, 02:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bodeen
I have a 08 fit and I'm having trouble with the coolant. When you start the car up it sounds like the coolant is running thru the heater core.
Not to play down the problem but, technically, the coolant is always running through the heater core. That is how heat is supplied to the passenger compartment.

Hope it all works out.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:46 PM
I know that it runs thru the heater core but you shouldn't hear it. When I stop at a redlight it sounds like all the coolant is pouring into the floorboard.

Old 11-12-2008, 11:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rushlow
Gurgling noise heard in cabin area FIX

I took my car in to Honda Re: the gurgling noise.
They noticed:
-cooling system low.
-found suction tube in the reservoir had fallen off its holder, not allowing it to return coolant back to the rad.
*Repaired and topped off coolant*
I have not heard ANY gurgling from the cabin area whatsoever since.
Still havnt heard any coolant noise and that was a few weeks ago.
worth a check.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by rushlow
Still havnt heard any coolant noise and that was a few weeks ago.
worth a check.

Thanks for the input! If replacing the heater hose doesn't work I'll have them check this before pulling the head. Thanks again!