General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Post your Likes/Dislikes of the NA Fit

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 03:23 PM
Wink

Again Papawiskey if handled in an adult manor such conversations can be constructive. It's the Na na na-er's that make trouble

Old 01-12-2006, 04:17 PM
mav
Likes...

- Small on the outside, big on the inside
- Good fuel economy
- Power everything
- Great safety features
- Lots of features for a $13K car

Dislikes...

- No CVT7
- No LED tail lights
- No turn signals integrated into the side mirrors

Old 01-12-2006, 05:44 PM
- light (2400 lbs.)
- styling (would prefer the blacked-out headlights though)
- good fuel economy
- magic seats
- excellent safety (standard ABS and 6 airbags)
- $13,000!

Dislikes:
- no disc brakes (at least should be on the sport model)
- no LED taillights (i know it's Honda's cheapest car but it would so stand out)
- 16" wheels should be standard on the Sport (at least they are available as an accessory)

Old 01-12-2006, 06:06 PM
- I agree with most of the likes about except for the MPG for the NA Model

Dislikes
- The over seas model gets much higher MPG and we should get close to their MPG.
- 1996 Civic HX got better MPG 35/43 and 0-60 in 9.4 seconds and that was,
10 years ago
if the fit was getting around 34/47 or better like it should I would buy it

Sorry to those I annoyed in earlier posts, I was a bit angry. I much more calm now

Last edited by bsgump; 01-12-2006 at 06:08 PM.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:50 PM
5 Year Member
If anyone from Honda is reading any of these threads, I hope it is this one. I think the side marker lights in the fenders would have been an easy and inexpensive addition to safety. I like them in the fenders more than the wing mirrors.

I hate to bring him into this, but I think bsgump had a huge emotional investment in the Fit being some sort of magical car that had everything, cost nothing, and got 8000 mpg.

Old 01-12-2006, 08:06 PM
Can a moderator make this a sticky please?

Old 01-12-2006, 10:44 PM
Originally Posted by sr20jet
Can a moderator make this a sticky please?
Sure! Lets make this Thread a sticky for a while.

Old 01-13-2006, 12:21 AM
Cool The MPG is a big let down to a lot of people not just myself.

Yo BKKJack I bet jack is for jack@$$! Anyways, no I didn't expect the Jazz to have everything and get 8000 MPG. But if you calculate the weight differential between our model and the over seas model, the US Fit should get what the over seas model is getting - 3 mpg. But if you account for engine improvements honda has made the mpg could go up as much as 3 mpg which means we should be breaking even with the over seas model if we had the same 1.3L engine, and tranny. So it really is a big let down to see that we are only getting 31/38 with auto and 33/38 with manual. A lot of people were expecting those figures to be a lot higher since that is what the rest of the world is getting.

Old 01-13-2006, 12:24 AM
Oh brother, here we go again......

Old 01-13-2006, 01:04 AM
Guys please drop it!

Old 01-13-2006, 01:30 AM
Ok BS, honda isnt gonna use a 1.3 engine in the US because of the low power, and it needs to have a car that is great for driving in any part of the US and the many different driving conditions that are found in the states (A/C and so on). The US has stricter emissions policies as well. Constantly voicing your disgust with the mileage getting old. There are plenty of things to like about the Fit. And just because your mileage "calculations" seem correct to you, it doesnt mean that they are. You dont use any precise numbers in your calculation of weight, or any numbers in how engine improvements should increase mileage. Your calculations are baseless.

Old 01-13-2006, 02:49 AM
5 Year Member
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by compdooper
Ok BS, honda isnt gonna use a 1.3 engine in the US because of the low power, and it needs to have a car that is great for driving in any part of the US and the many different driving conditions that are found in the states (A/C and so on). The US has stricter emissions policies as well.
I think Honda have gotten away with the L13A i-DSI engine with the Fit/Jazz in the past because the car weighed around 2,200 pounds (one metric ton) in its first models.

But because of these factors:

1. All the extra weight to accommodate US-standard safety equipment

2. Changing engine design to accommodate 87 pump octane regular unleaded gasoline

3. Designing the drivetrain to accommodate American driving styles

...You can forget about selling the Fit with the L13A engine here in the USA. As such, considering all those handicaps the fuel efficiency of the Fit is actually not that bad.

Old 01-13-2006, 10:53 AM
more likes:
price
airbags/safety
interior looks

more dislikes:
I think I'm done with the dislikes.

Old 01-13-2006, 11:54 AM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

All of the above. I'm surprised no one thought the 5AT Paddle Shifters were worth mentioning. I personally feel they provide the ultimate solution to the dilemma between the man and the woman drivers in a household. Typically, the man picks the manual tranny, and the woman prefers the auto. The paddle shifters then allows the man to drive this car with higher level of enjoyment than vanilla auto trannies.

If you are crazy for F1 like me, you would like how the 5AT in sport mode, would automatically upshift once you reach the rev-limiter, but allows you to downshift (without over-revving) simultaneous with braking for a corner, or for passing. Good bye, heel-and-toe downshifts plus rev match. That doesn't mean I will give up my 5sp in my 99 Civic, no way Jose. It is too much fun when it really counts (racing).

Dislikes:

No arm rest with storage
No coolant temperature gauge, from what I can see in the pictures
Poor visibility around A-pillars
Not the JDM S effects package/appearance
Not 6-spoke wheels as seen here:

Last edited by VelociRacer; 01-13-2006 at 12:17 PM.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by MtViewGuy188
3. Designing the drivetrain to accommodate American driving styles
Now here's a notion I'd like to see parsed. What is the current "American driving style"? Is anyone privy to market research that might objectively describe the "American driving style"?

Old 01-13-2006, 12:35 PM
Originally Posted by jenshome
Now here's a notion I'd like to see parsed. What is the current "American driving style"? Is anyone privy to market research that might objectively describe the "American driving style"?
American driving style = Drive it like you stole it!!!!!!!!!!! :-)

Actually, I have no idea what the "style" is.

Old 01-13-2006, 12:45 PM
Originally Posted by SilverNChrome
American driving style = Drive it like you stole it!!!!!!!!!!! :-)

Actually, I have no idea what the "style" is.
Me, neither. And I'm old enough to remember how flat-footed Detroit looked when Americans suddenly took to the Volkswagen Beetle. Yet if someone stole an early Beetle, the owner could damned near catch him on foot. So Americans have a back-and-forth history in their affairs with size, speed, utility, and economy.

Last edited by jenshome; 01-14-2006 at 05:47 PM.
Old 01-14-2006, 01:32 AM
Thumbs up I'm Sorry

I was the one who started the bitching session concerning the bumpers.
I agree with the previous posts. A 'Pro-Con' checklist is much more
constructive (and fun).

b. Costs.
c. Versatile seating.
d. Highly customizable car.
e. European/Japan sized reasonable car.

Dislikes:
a. Beefy Bumpers.
b. No yellow.
c. Sports package is kinda lame.

But ultimately I'm going to SHUT my mouth
wait to VISIT the dealership down the street.
LOOK at it. DRIVE it. Then DECIDE what I'm going to buy.

Old 01-14-2006, 02:18 AM
5 Year Member
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by jenshome
To clarify the issue, more "oomph" from standing start or from very low speeds (like 5 mph or under). This is kind of important, especially when merging onto freeway traffic here in California, where much of the traffic goes way above the posted speed limit!

Old 01-14-2006, 11:22 AM
Originally Posted by MtViewGuy188
To clarify the issue, more "oomph" from standing start or from very low speeds (like 5 mph or under). This is kind of important, especially when merging onto freeway traffic here in California, where much of the traffic goes way above the posted speed limit!
I'm not from California, but I've been there. I remember a 45-minute drive from the L.A. airport to a place that I could see from the airport. I remember thinking, We'll be there in a jiffy.

Of course I'm sure there are plenty of places in CA where more acceleration would facilitate merging into traffic that actually moves above 20 mph, but there are times even in Kansas when the on-ramp isn't long enough for a safe, non-stop merge into highway traffic, no matter how much horsepower I have available. The answer for me is defensive driving.

But to return to my original point, I'm wondering whether reliable research, not our subjective impressions, has ever defined an "American driving style." I doubt that it has. On the other hand, I can imagine some Honda salesperson with a big investment in 06 Civics and hybrids wanting Americans to believe that acceleration is more important.

Ultimately, the marketplace will decide this issue. We will know in a year or two whether Americans value fuel economy enough to wait for something better than the NA FIT or the current batch of hybrids. Meanwhile, if the NA FIT proves to be as advertised, those who can't afford to wait would not be foolish in buying it.

Last edited by jenshome; 01-14-2006 at 01:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Post your Likes/Dislikes of the NA Fit