General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Us Fit Is A Gas Guzzler!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 06:23 PM
Angry Us Fit Is A Gas Guzzler!

The 1996 Honda Civic HX CVT got 34 city/38 highway.

The 1996 5 speed got 35 city/43 highway, AND THAT WAS 10 YEARS AGO!

Not to mention that the Honda Fit gets in US MPG about 35 city/ 50 highway over seas. If you calculate the weight differential between the us model and over seas the difference is only 300 pounds. Which would lessen the mpg to about 3 less. SO THE US MODEL SHOULD BE GETTING ABOUT 32 CITY/ 47 HIGHWAY, BUT WITH THE NEW ADVANCEMENT IN THE HONDA ENGINE THE MPG WOULD BE EVEN HIGHER!!!!! LIKE 33 -35 CITY / 47 - 50 HIGHWAY!!!!! SO it's no wonder people are pissed off that the US MODEL IS ONLY GETTING 33/38!!!! ARE YOU WORRIED THAT THE HIGH MPG WILL TAKE AWAY SALES FROM ITS MONEY MAKING HIGHBRIDS AND CIVICS??? SURE HONDA WILL ATTRACT SOME YOUNG BUYERS TO BE LOYAL TO HONDA, BUT THEY MADE THE MISTAKE OF DOWN GRADING THE AMERICAN MODEL. MANY PEOPLE THAT HAVE BEEN LOYAL TO HONDA ARE DEFECTING TO BE LOYAL TO OTHER BRANDS SINCE HONDA GAVE THE AMERICANS A GAS GUZZLER!!!!!!!

Old 01-29-2006, 04:05 AM
I am confused; Just what is the official mileages / gallon for the Honda Fit that shall be out in USA in the spring?

Old 02-09-2006, 04:58 PM
They have two different engines, that's why.

The US spec Fit has a 1.5 liter and the overseas model has a 1.3.
They think we will view it as an inferior car if it doesn't have enough horsepower (which most stupid Americans do) which is why they don't usually import these good efficient cars in the first place.
Why does it have to be a choice?
Give us one car for speed and another for economy.
Some of us (like myself) are secure enough to drive a car that's not competing with every other car.

Old 02-09-2006, 05:10 PM
There are new standards for measuring the mileage now.. It may be that these new standards could be tha cause of all this frustration.. Besides I never listen to those anyways.. You'd have to compare them in the real world to get the real mileage. Thats my two cents.

Old 02-10-2006, 03:22 PM
Why not a 1.3 and CVT?

With Peak Oil in the coming year(s), we need some better fuel economy. I could do quite nicely with the 1.3 motor and CVT.

BTW, I own a 2001 Honda Civic HX w/CVT. I average between 38 to 41 mpg.

Old 02-11-2006, 10:41 PM
5 Year Member
Lightbulb

Given that we could get the full model change for the Honda Fit as early as calendar year 2007, we will likely get all-new engines for the US-market Fit as it switches to the next generation.

A very likely engine will be a new 1.5-liter I-4 engine that uses the same SOHC i-VTEC valvetrain technology used on the R18 engine of the 2006 Civics. Because of its new valvetrain design, the new engine would probably be rated at around 115-120 bhp (SAE 08/04 net), will easily meet ULEV Level-II emission standards, and likely get 33 mpg city, 38 mpg highway using the more stringent EPA 2008 standard for fuel mileage measurements. It's likely that the new Fit will no longer use the five-speed automatic but switch to a new, improved CVT automatic.

Old 02-12-2006, 04:22 PM
1.3-liter in Fit?

Originally Posted by MtViewGuy188
Given that we could get the full model change for the Honda Fit as early as calendar year 2007, we will likely get all-new engines for the US-market Fit as it switches to the next generation.

A very likely engine will be a new 1.5-liter I-4 engine that uses the same SOHC i-VTEC valvetrain technology used on the R18 engine of the 2006 Civics. Because of its new valvetrain design, the new engine would probably be rated at around 115-120 bhp (SAE 08/04 net), will easily meet ULEV Level-II emission standards, and likely get 33 mpg city, 38 mpg highway using the more stringent EPA 2008 standard for fuel mileage measurements. It's likely that the new Fit will no longer use the five-speed automatic but switch to a new, improved CVT automatic.
Wonder why Honda just doesn't "drop in" the 1.3-liter engine that they use with the 2006 Hybrid. Without the expensive hybrid electronics of course. That along with a CVT and the lower (?) weight of the Fit, should make for a nice automobile. Maybe 40 mpg in the city?

I am curious to see how I "fit" into a "Fit". LOL. I am 6'5". Oh my long legs...

Old 02-12-2006, 10:39 PM
5 Year Member
Exclamation

Originally Posted by jvolstad
Wonder why Honda just doesn't "drop in" the 1.3-liter engine that they use with the 2006 Hybrid. Without the expensive hybrid electronics of course. That along with a CVT and the lower (?) weight of the Fit, should make for a nice automobile. Maybe 40 mpg in the city?
I found out that the way the SOHC i-VTEC valvetrain works on the 1.3-liter I-4 engine on the Civic Hybrid's IMA drivetrain works quite differently than how it works on the SOHC i-VTEC valvetrain on the R18 engine used on the regular Civic models. Hence my suggestion of an all-new 1.5-liter I-4 engine that uses the same valvetrain design as the R18 engine.

Old 02-16-2006, 09:47 PM
Originally Posted by MtViewGuy188
I found out that the way the SOHC i-VTEC valvetrain works on the 1.3-liter I-4 engine on the Civic Hybrid's IMA drivetrain works quite differently than how it works on the SOHC i-VTEC valvetrain on the R18 engine used on the regular Civic models. Hence my suggestion of an all-new 1.5-liter I-4 engine that uses the same valvetrain design as the R18 engine.
Do you know for sure that the 2008 model Fit in the US will be completely different from this first generation US model Fit coming in April?

Old 02-17-2006, 06:49 PM
The 2008 model will be all new for Japan. The US version should be a carry over of the 2007. I think they are doing this to keep down retooling cost for the NA version.

Old 02-20-2006, 01:34 AM
JSK
Retooling? Woulding it be cheaper just to retool to the 2008 model and not going to the 2007 model and then having to retool again after that?

Old 02-20-2006, 09:16 AM
The 2008 model changes involved with retooling will be assigned to the Japanese versions, keeping the older body style will be a way to use up parts, and keep our price lower overall.

Old 02-20-2006, 10:09 PM
5 Year Member
Lightbulb When the second-generation Fit arrives...

...It will likely not come from Japan, but Honda's North American assembly lines (Alliston, ON, Marysville, OH, East Liberty, OH, etc.). As such, they will use all-new tooling for the second generation model.

Old 02-21-2006, 12:05 AM
JSK
saw the fit at the autoshow, very impressed with the magic seats. The work so well and are so effortless to operate.

There information they had showed the fuel economy as TBA.

Still it needs to get atleast 43/mpg hwy to be a sucess in my books.

Old 02-21-2006, 03:49 AM
Someone that Posts too much
Originally Posted by JSK
saw the fit at the autoshow, very impressed with the magic seats. The work so well and are so effortless to operate.

There information they had showed the fuel economy as TBA.

Still it needs to get atleast 43/mpg hwy to be a sucess in my books.
Civic Hybrid will give you what you want economy wise. It will take a lot of fuel to make up the cost difference though. If you do the ROI calculations even with the price of fuel quadrupled you'll be waiting a while to make that extra 5 mpg pay.

Old 02-21-2006, 04:06 AM
JSK
Originally Posted by vividjazz
Civic Hybrid will give you what you want economy wise. It will take a lot of fuel to make up the cost difference though. If you do the ROI calculations even with the price of fuel quadrupled you'll be waiting a while to make that extra 5 mpg pay.
In the Canadian Market the key competitors for the Fit would be the Nissan Versa and the Toyota Yaris. For Highway fuel economy the Versa see 45 MPG and the Yaris sees 50 MPG, I really don't see why Honda can't hit at least 43 MPG Highway with the Fit.

Old 02-21-2006, 05:28 AM
Someone that Posts too much
Well here Yaris is rated 6.1L/100km, Fit is 6.0L/100km and the Versa isn't sold here but the Tiida (1.8L) from Nissan (smallest Nissan sold here) would be the closest vehicle we have scores 7.6L/100km. These are all in manual versions.

In auto versions the Fit/Jazz only increases to 6.1L/100km while the Yaris is 6.7L/100km (thanks to its 4 speed slush box) and Tiida 7.8L/100km.

Do you do 100% highway driving and do you think the vast majority of purchases of these cars do 100% highway driving? Why are they pitched as city cars? Why do I see so few of them on the interstate highways compared to big cars if all their owners do highway driving and yet they sell in large numbers according to VFACTS? If I combine the market share of the light segment @ 15.2% market share with the small segment @ 35.2% market share they are outnumbered more than 20 to 1 on the highway by the large car segment which only accounts for 23.1% of the total market.

Real world economy is worse for all these vehicles as traffic is heavier outside the test lab.

The reporting of the highway figure alone was dropped in Australia as the manufacturers skewed their figures to maximise something which is of little relavence to the majority of purchases. As the combined figures show the Fit bests the rest as it also does in the real world.

If Honda increased their highway figure at the expense of drivability and the city and combined figures they would only be short changing the consumer. They have left Toyota to do that.

Old 02-21-2006, 08:10 AM
A local Honda dealer called head office to check out gas consumption for me and was told the Fit would ge 39 mgp City and 50 mpg Hwy Canadian, or Imperial gal.

Old 02-21-2006, 04:36 PM
JSK
Talking

Originally Posted by burm
A local Honda dealer called head office to check out gas consumption for me and was told the Fit would ge 39 mgp City and 50 mpg Hwy Canadian, or Imperial gal.
That would be PERFECT!!!

Old 02-21-2006, 04:40 PM
JSK
Any car to be successful in North America has to be a good highway car.

Quick Reply: Us Fit Is A Gas Guzzler!