General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Us Fit Is A Gas Guzzler!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 07:51 AM
My Sport A/T got 30 mpg on first tank of gas and 25.4 on second tank, mostly stop and go driving to and from work with ac on. Have 16 inch HFP wheels and Bridgestones which could slightly adversely affect mileage.

Old 08-21-2006, 10:03 AM
Originally Posted by Jimmy101
My fit gets 18mpg in the city, and 22 on the highway.
and on long road trips I get 26.
(a/t sport) with the a/c on.
did you report this to your dealer? to honda? please join me in making a big deal out of this.

you and i are getting the same mpg. something isnt right.

i talked with a honda CRV owner last night, he gets 20 mpgs.

my dealers service manager isnt taking this seriously, heck he and the regional manage didnt even know the est MPGs, i had to tell them. i am calling honda again today. i begged him to drive the car but he wouldnt budge. said he would test the milage next week when i bring it in for painting.

Old 08-21-2006, 02:06 PM
when i first got my car i noticed i was getting around 25mpg on average.. maybe because i was babying my car? i dont really know but now im gettin 33mpg on average hopefully it'll get better in time.... i hope and mine is a sports auto

Old 08-21-2006, 03:43 PM
5 Year Member
I am approaching 6,000 miles on my Fit Sport, AT.

My best tank so far has been 33.0 mpg. The worse was 23.5 mpg.

I've:
- ran with air pressure from 32 to 40 psi, with no improvement.
- driven it very smooth (babied it,)
- driven it hard, on occasion
- left it in D
- tried a tank in S.
- even tried dropping in N when slowing down and going down an incline.

Little to no difference.

I'm going to take mine to my dealer, later this week, and have them do a reset on my ECU, and then the idle learn procedure, to see if that helps any...

Love the car, don't love the gas mileage.

Also, on my two other Honda's, I'm getting better than EPA estimates. I know how to get the gas mileage, my Fit just won't do it. Heck, I had a 2002 Civic EX 4dr, AT, that I got 36-38 mpg out of!!

Old 08-21-2006, 08:27 PM
JDM
Keep up posted David!

I am very interested in seeing your results with the ECU reset/learn procedure.

Old 08-21-2006, 10:20 PM
Arrow

I think someting we all need to bear in mind is how the cars are broken in. I was told by a Honda tech that you should avoid jack rabbit starts, vary the speed when driving, and use a higher grade octane than 87. Also it is very important that the first oil change should be around the 3 month or 3,000 mile mark.

I have done this before on the two new Honda's that I had and got very good to outstanding gas mileage.

Old 08-24-2006, 11:30 PM
Gas Mileage Question

We have about 1400 miles on our automatic base Fit. For the first 1000 miles we were getting 250 miles on a full tank (didn't matter city of highway). Recently we seem to be getting better mileage. I was wondering if people have had better gas mileage after the car was broken in some.

Old 08-25-2006, 10:38 AM
Originally Posted by onebyone1958
I think someting we all need to bear in mind is how the cars are broken in. I was told by a Honda tech that you should avoid jack rabbit starts, vary the speed when driving, and use a higher grade octane than 87. Also it is very important that the first oil change should be around the 3 month or 3,000 mile mark.

I have done this before on the two new Honda's that I had and got very good to outstanding gas mileage.
if you have done what the dealer says, i would get his advice in writing.

#1, the book says 87 octain
#2 the book says change your oil at 5000 miles.

just saying that if anything goes wrong they can and will hold this against you. take it from someone who has had the Honda manuel read to her over the phone by honda america. and was told to user a more detergent gasoline but not a higher octain. be careful. This is YOUR car now and you are responsible for what you do with it.

Old 08-25-2006, 11:38 AM
I read some of these complaints and what it seems is that most have the auto trans. I wonder if it isnt effective in mpgs. I have a 5 speed base and I have 4k miles on it and I average 32-36 mpgs. I also have the 14" base wheels on it. Im about to get 16s so we will see how that changes it.

Old 08-25-2006, 11:45 AM
Originally Posted by TheDanger
I read some of these complaints and what it seems is that most have the auto trans. I wonder if it isnt effective in mpgs. I have a 5 speed base and I have 4k miles on it and I average 32-36 mpgs. I also have the 14" base wheels on it. Im about to get 16s so we will see how that changes it.

NO -Sorry (i know this is a Low MPG thread -don't want to hijak it, but...) its more than just AT. It not that simple. Plenty of folks have AT and are getting mid 30s just like you. I have a Sport AT and after 13 tanks and over 3k miles, I am getting a lifetime average of 34.6 My last 4 tanks have hovered aruond 36!

Old 08-25-2006, 11:55 AM
Originally Posted by trowpa
NO -Sorry (i know this is a Low MPG thread -don't want to hijak it, but...) its more than just AT. It not that simple. Plenty of folks have AT and are getting mid 30s just like you. I have a Sport AT and after 13 tanks and over 3k miles, I am getting a lifetime average of 34.6 My last 4 tanks have hovered aruond 36!
Well guys the people who are having problems with it check with honda because there are people out there getting the correct amount of mpgs for the car.

Old 08-26-2006, 04:10 AM
June 2007 1st Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
.with every full tank i get over 300 miles (always)city /some highway and the most i got was like 326 miles wow!!! my long lost 240sx couldnt touch this...i was checking my bank account online and i just put gas on the 24th the one b4 that was on the 14th of august WOW 2 weeks of driving by the gas station!!!! I also fill my car up to at least 11.3 gallons of gas...My old 240sx sucked up gas nasty stlye. The FIT has saved me $ from the pump. No complaints!!! To the others check your dealers...oh yeah thats on 87 octane

Last edited by Paulo107; 08-26-2006 at 04:26 AM.
Old 08-26-2006, 04:56 AM
Yes - i wish everyone who is getting below 25 mpgs would call honda america and complain. They are making it sound like its my fault and giving me every excuse in the book.

they say the numbers are not theirs but the EPA's but when they want to market the car all of a sudden they use those numbers. there are certain automatics out there who are getting very bad gas miliage and i cant believe a hand full of us just drive the same way!

please please call your dealer but also report these figures to honda america. i cant be the only one out there with this lemon of a car getting a whoping 20 mpgs!! they need to know that this may be a production problem. something has to be wrong with our little cars.

Old 08-26-2006, 08:16 AM
I'm bringing my Fit in to the dealer next week to have them check the car. I just got an oil change on 8/23 and the milage has incredibly gotten a bit worse for some reason. I hope they get this straightened out, I got the Fit hoping to get better fuel economy, not just match what I was getting with my SUV.

Old 08-26-2006, 09:08 AM
5 Year Member
I have a base fit w/ manual transmission & I'm getting 36 mpg.

A/C is on and I drive over a mountain every day to work average speed is between 55 & 70 mph (less if I get behind a truck or tractor on the mountain).

I also have 16X7 ASA cast wheels on (heavier than the stock 14's).

I am happy with mileage. Much better than my Santa Fe got (22 mpg).

Last edited by gep31815; 08-26-2006 at 09:17 AM.
Old 08-26-2006, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by marokero
I'm bringing my Fit in to the dealer next week to have them check the car. I just got an oil change on 8/23 and the milage has incredibly gotten a bit worse for some reason. I hope they get this straightened out, I got the Fit hoping to get better fuel economy, not just match what I was getting with my SUV.
wow please keep us posted, mine is in on monday. hope you call honda america and let them know. they think i am nuts.

Old 08-27-2006, 10:45 AM
My Fit is averaging 27mpg, and in one occasion only got 30mpg. The lowest I got was 24mpg. Hope that reseting the ECU and adjusting whatever will help this. I always read of people getting over 300 miles per tank, and that's what I was getting with my old non-vtec Civic (around 350 miles was my average), but with the Fit I'm lucky to get 260 miles or so. I'm keeping a log of how many galons I used on every fill-up, so far the average out of five fill-ups is the above mentioned 27mpg. Will see how that changes after my dealer checks it out.

Old 08-28-2006, 12:52 AM
I'm testing a theory starting today. I filled up today and drove REALLY differently from my usual habit. Let's see if it's a car problem or a lead-foot-driver problem I used to get 35mpg easy with my 99'Civic DX manual, and that got me thinking that vtec could be the culprit here. The Civic made 106hp w/o vtec, but the Fit with a smaller engine makes 109hp w/ vtec. That would mean that if I drove the Fit like I used to drive my Civic, I'm not going to get the same milage as the Civic because I'd constantly be using vtec. So on the highway today I kept the top speed at 60mph, and on city driving I did not launch as fast as usual. It felt SOOOOO slow, I'm not used to driving at that pace But already am seeing a bit of a difference. I drove about 50 miles today and the needle has just barely moved to 1/8 of a tank! That's a lot better already compared to before when I'd see the needle at near the 1/4 tank or so when driving the same distance. I'll update my findings later in the week.

Old 08-28-2006, 02:27 PM
Originally Posted by marokero
Historically, every car I have been measuring mileage on has suffered on the first tankful or two just after an oil change. I always chalked it up to an oil "break in" period.

Old 08-28-2006, 02:44 PM
Man, I hate driving like this... slow, slow , slow!! But the milage seems much higher so far on this second day of my testing.

Quick Reply: Us Fit Is A Gas Guzzler!