General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Down graded Fit for Americans suck!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006 | 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by papawhiskey

That looks awful. Whats the point of 18" wheels on a econobox? It just ads weight, increases fuel consumption, kills ride quality, you won't be able to drive as fast since the slightest road imperfection could cost you a few hundred $$$. With 25 or 35 series tires eventually you will bend a wheel.

Old 01-10-2006 | 06:04 PM
Originally Posted by tjts1
That looks awful. Whats the point of 18" wheels on a econobox? It just ads weight, increases fuel consumption, kills ride quality, you won't be able to drive as fast since the slightest road imperfection could cost you a few hundred $$$. With 25 or 35 series tires eventually you will bend a wheel.
Why? Because not everyone can afford a new Civic Si, or an Acura RSX, or a true sports car, but we want to drive something sporty that's affordable. There is a huge culture out there that does exactly that, which is the whole reason why Toyota came out with the Scion line. They wanted a piece of the action that Honda was getting, because tuners started modifying Civic hatchbacks in the late 80's and early 90's. Those tuners got older and could afford a bigger payment, and they were happy with their Honda econboxes. So they upgraded to more expensive Accords, Honda retained their customer, and everyoone was happy.

Even though I am in my mid 40's, I am still facsinated with the idea of taking something very inexpensive, and modifying it to look like an aggresive custom machine. I remember in Sean Connery's last Bond movie years ago they took one of those ugly Fiat econboxes of the late 80's, and customized it to look pretty cool.

True, it would hurt fuel economy, but that's a given with any car. What is also a given is that I want to modify whatever I buy, so I want to start out with the highest fuel economy possible, the most capable car for modifying, the most dependable car, and the most reasonable priced car that fits (excuse the pun) the three previous categories the best.

Yes, it would ruin the ride, and the possibility of denting the rim is very real.....if you have a tire with no sidewall wrapped around any rim. If the wheel wells were bigger, I could have a tire with a sidewall big enough to minimize the threat of damage. The Fit's wheel wells remind me of the Suzuki Aerio's wheel wells. The size of the wheel well can make a car look aggresive, or wimpy.

The stupid thing about this whole argument is that I wasn't planning on putting 18's on the Fit. I was actually going to go no bigger than 17's, but I was trying to emphasize the point about the size of the wheel well being too small, so I used the 18" wheel as the example

Old 01-10-2006 | 06:18 PM
|
Angry Fit Gas Guzzler!

Yo mav you don't know squat! The 1996 Honda Civic HX CVT got 34 city/38 highway. The 5 speed got 35 city/43 highway, AND THAT WAS 10 YEARS AGO MOFO!

Not to mention that the Honda Fit gets in US MPG about 35 city/ 50 highway over seas. If you calculate the weight differential between the us model and over seas the difference is only 300 pounds. Which would lessen the mpg to about 3 less. SO THE US MODEL SHOULD BE GETTING ABOUT 32 CITY/ 47 HIGHWAY, BUT WITH THE NEW ADVANCEMENT IN THE HONDA ENGINE THE MPG WOULD BE EVEN HIGHER!!!!! LIKE 33 -35 CITY / 47 - 50 HIGHWAY!!!!! SO it's no wonder people are pissed off that the US MODEL IS ONLY GETTING 33/38!!!! HONDA IS TOO SCARED THAT THE HIGH MPG WILL TAKE AWAY SALES FROM ITS MONEY MAKING HIGHBRIDS AND CIVICS!!! SURE HONDA WILL ATTRACT SOME YOUNG BUYERS TO BE LOYAL TO HONDA, BUT THEY MADE THE MISTAKE OF DOWN GRADING THE AMERICAN MODEL. MANY PEOPLE THAT HAVE BEEN LOYAL TO HONDA ARE DEFECTING TO BE LOYAL TO OTHER BRANDS SINCE HONDA GAVE THE AMERICANS A GAS GUZZLER!!!!!!!

Old 01-10-2006 | 06:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pedaler
yo dude,
I think you spelled it out when you wrote "messy first time",
Look Honda Makes Fits with rear discs, I'm just asking why is US market not getting the updated version?
You don't sound like a DIY-type, so why do you even care about the first-time difficulty servicing drum brakes? What matters is that drum brakes should be easy second time around for any1 with half a brain. Besides, there is absolutely NO braking advantage with rear disc brakes in real life for an econo box like the Fit. I don't use Ford as an example for anything but one learn from their mistakes. In the middle of the last generation of the Taurus, they somehow figured out that rear Drums are better (lighter, more reliable, and cheaper to boot!) and switched back after many years with rear disc.

Also, you think you are better than JDM and you want rear discs when they don't even sell that in Japan? Be glad you can get a quality product for bragain basement pricing that is proudly made in Japan.

As to all the whining over mpg, it is all in the gearing. Clever that Honda decided not to sell a slug, there are plenty slugs in this segment on the market. Instead, the Fit should be quite zippy even the 5AT. Just wait for the magazine comparo tests in the next 2-3 months, where the Fit will walk all over the rest of the B-segment.

Old 01-10-2006 | 06:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by VelociRacer
Besides, there is absolutely NO braking advantage with rear disc brakes in real life for an econo box like the Fit. I don't use Ford as an example for anything but one learn from their mistakes. In the middle of the last generation of the Taurus, they somehow figured out that rear Drums are better (lighter, more reliable, and cheaper to boot!) and switched back after many years with rear disc.

Also, you think you are better than JDM and you want rear discs when they don't even sell that in Japan? Be glad you can get a quality product for bragain basement pricing that is proudly made in Japan.
The "econo box" Fit weight around 2450 lbs. Not really a super light vehicle anymore. How can you quantify that there will be NO braking advantage offered by rear discs? The only reason for Honda to use drums is for cost. That's the bottom line. They didn't give the US Fit drums because its more "reliable" or lighter than discs.

Also, I believe the latest JDM FIT (with the latest Mid Model Change) is now equipped with rear discs.

Old 01-10-2006 | 07:11 PM
Who doesn't want a sticky brake caliper when it's available everywhere else but USA...

Originally Posted by VelociRacer
Who wants a sticky brake caliper on a grocery getter? If you are not racing, rear drum brakes are more than adequate since they only provide less than 20% of the stopping power. For go, drums are just as good as any. For show, drums may not look as nice thru your 18" rims.

Old 01-10-2006 | 07:14 PM
yeah the Japanese are so thoughtful, they kept those aweful rear disks for themselves and gave us the drums..how nice

Old 01-10-2006 | 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by Halo
yeah the Japanese are so thoughtful, they kept those aweful rear disks for themselves and gave us the drums..how nice
One thing you wouldn't need to deal with concerning the rear drums is warpage. Last fall I took my 1990 Honda Accord EX in for new tires. I also had them check the brakes because whenever I applied the brakes, deceleration was erratic rather than smooth because the front discs were warped. The discs still had enough thickness so they turned them to "true" them up. The rear drums needed no maintenance. The rear brakes work a lot less than the front brakes, but had they been discs, they may have had to be turned also.

I'm not saying the front disc/rear drum brake configuration is the best, but it's a different way of looking at what Honda is offering on the Fit.

Old 01-10-2006 | 09:51 PM
I really like the no door handles look of that Xa. Does anybody have pics of a Fit with shaved door handles?

Old 01-10-2006 | 10:03 PM
Society of Fit

Did anybody else get an email from Honda about this?
It looks good, but I would like to know how much room is in the trunk with the seats up. The Yaris trunk area is VERY small. My other vehicle is a GMC Safari, and I want to use the Fit as a family vehicle when we don't need the (fuel sucking) van.

Old 01-10-2006 | 10:06 PM
5 Year Member
I think its around 21 cubic feet with the rear seats up. Compared to around 12 for the Yaris.

Old 01-11-2006 | 06:43 AM
mav
Originally Posted by tjts1
I agree, that does look aweful. Oversized wheels on most small cars looks horrible. In most cases, it makes the car look like a mini-suv. The only exception that I can think of is the Mini Cooper.

I disagree with the last part of your post. I'm running 35 series tires on the rears of my S2000 on 18" BBS wheels and 30 series tires on the rears of my M3 on 19" BBS wheels, and no problem. As long as you get a good quality wheel, like BBS or OZ, you will be fine. Those custom wheels, like HRE, bend easily.

Old 01-11-2006 | 02:30 PM
Airbags and brakes

As their press release says:
"Dual-stage, dual-threshold front airbags, dual front side airbags and side-curtain airbags are standard equipment on all Fit models. All seating positions have three-point seat belts, while front occupants are further protected by pre-tensioning seat belts. An enhanced knee bolster provides additional protection for passengers.
Standard active safety equipment includes anti-lock braking system (ABS) with ventilated discs in the front and drums in the back, and electronic brake distribution (EBD)."

For a car that weighs this much and is built for this market segment, the drum brakes make nothing but sense. And it does come standard with ABS/EBD.

Personally, I can't wait to drive it. Was considering an xA, but have to wait to see where the FIT comes in price wise...

Old 01-11-2006 | 02:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SurFit
For a car that weighs this much and is built for this market segment, the drum brakes make nothing but sense. And it does come standard with ABS/EBD.
So if drum brakes make so much sense, why didn't Honda follow the same logic for the even lighter Fit/Jazz offered in Japan and the UK?

Old 01-11-2006 | 02:37 PM
|
Thumbs down 1996 Civic HX got better MPG

The 1996 Honda Civic HX was getting high miles per gallon with:

CVT 34 city / 38 hwy

5MT 35 city / 43 hwy

AND THAT WAS 10 YEARS AGO!

The Fit over seas in US MPG’s gets about 35 city / 50 hwy. But they want to give us only 33/38. EVEN with the added weight the MPG would be close to what it is getting over seas. It should be close to 32 city / 47 hwy with the added weight for the US model, and with the advancement in engine technology that Honda has made, the MPG should be even a little higher like 32 – 35 city / 47 – 50 hwy.

This is a big let down to all the people that care a lot about fuel economy with the growing concern of higher gas prices. Not to mention that people have been waiting and following the news for the Fit for a long time since it was announced. Their anticipation grew eagerly as the launch date for unveiling the fit became closer and closer. Since Honda kept the specs a secret while people were expecting much more, it is a giant let down. I know several people who had their hearts set on buying a Fit for sure, are now definitely not buying a Fit. They plan on waiting to see if Honda Comes out with a different Fit model that is more fuel efficient like it should be, otherwise they plan on buying something else.

Old 01-11-2006 | 02:44 PM
Question Eeesh - you are way to serious about this

Originally Posted by corey415
So if drum brakes make so much sense, why didn't Honda follow the same logic for the even lighter Fit/Jazz offered in Japan and the UK?
Sorry corey415/God. I should have said "the rear drum brakes make nothing but economic sense for Honda" instead. Tell me, how difficult is it to be perfect?

Old 01-11-2006 | 03:02 PM
5 Year Member
Well, arent the initial Fit's going to be made in the same plant as the JDM FITs? Therefore, wouldn't that NOT make economic sense for Honda to have two different braking/rear suspension assemblies for JDM/USDM Fits ...

I am serious because I plan to buy a car soon. I would love to buy a Honda Fit. But I would love it more if it was available with a moonroof and rear discs.

Old 01-11-2006 | 03:30 PM
You've got more info on this than I do - so I'll shut up. I'll be in the market for a new car in a couple of months, and am debating whether to trade in my current vehicle for a hybrid or new diesel, or keep it and buy a cheap sub-compact for commuting. My personal criteria are: safety, economy, and price (for the latter option). Until I started doing some reading on this site I had no idea that the FIT was a disappointment... My first reaction was "6 airbags, standard A/C, decent mileage, and an ingenious interior configuration - what's not to like?" I guess this is just one more case of the US driving enthusiast getting a raw deal when compared to Europe/Asia. Although having said that, it would be interesting to do a cost per mile comparison of the US FIT vs Japanese/European versions, taking into account our significantly lower fuel costs.

Old 01-11-2006 | 03:35 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SurFit
Y cost per mile comparison of the US FIT vs Japanese/European versions, taking into account our significantly lower fuel costs.
Excellent observation - I'm sure we'd be opening a can of whoop ass on cost comparison. Lots of the EU pays twice plus compared to our gas costs!

Old 01-11-2006 | 03:46 PM
I'm still going to test drive one, and if the price is right, I'll most likely get one. It'll be my first Honda - and if my suspicions are correct - the first of many...

Quick Reply: Down graded Fit for Americans suck!!!