General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Down graded Fit for Americans suck!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006 | 06:31 PM
|
The safety options on the fit were few and didn't increase weight by that much at all. They are throwing in a 1.5 L engine and auto tranny to lower the mpg to 33 city and 38 highway miles per gallon. Which is a far cry to what the rest of the world is getting. A 1.3 L with a CVT7 tranny would be much better and would increase the mpg significantly TO ABOUT 39 CITY/ 45 HIGHWAY MAYBE EVEN BETTER! But Honda is scared that the new Fit will rip into the sales of the new Civic and Civic Hybrid. I can't believe I waited so long for this POS!!!! The original Fit over seas is way better. Honda just lost 5 car sales, as my friends and I are going else where like SCION! I'm sure some will still buy the Fit, while others will be disappointed by Honda and will switch to a different car brand like TOYOTA! Honda's idea of attracting young buyers to become loyal Honda customer is actually back firing as many people that I know are pissed off about the way Honda has configured the Fit. Honda might gain more customers than they lose, but they are also increasing the sales of Toyota & Scion where most of the disappointed Honda Loyalists are now turning to. No more Hondas for me!

Old 01-09-2006 | 07:09 PM
as far as drum brakes are concerned - who cares...the drum brakers are lighter in weight than disc and will be great for daily driving. the only way to are worse is when it comes to changing shoes compared to brake pads and not having the bling bling effect. i could have sworn they had 4 wheel disc though?

airbags - i hate airbags and am fine without 6 airbags hitting me in the face...two is fine...

stereo of only 120w and four speakers? well first off it is six speakers according to honda and does hyndai have an iPod adapter with their cars? very doubtful.

the 1.5L 5 speed is fine for this car. it is like a 5 door version of the crx which i find very appealing to me. it weights 200 lbs more and gets great gas mileage as well as well as very practical when it comes to moving things and from what i have seen it can handle/race very well...i am sure it will be a great competitor in various places with the help of aftermarket companies...

btw 18" rims are lame...

Old 01-10-2006 | 09:28 AM
mav
Originally Posted by papawhiskey
One thing that has always bothered me about the Fit: The wheel wells need to be bigger. For instance, on the Scion xA, they made the wheel wells quite large to accomodate 18" aftermarket wheels. The small wheel wells on the Fit make it harder to install an 18" wheel. I'm not sure they would give you much clearance for a tire with much of a sidewall. You'd pretty much be putting rubber bands on. Yes, this is a sub-compact, but it looks less aggressive with the smaller wheel wells, whereas the xA looks much more aggressive.
18" wheels, besides adding extra weight and worsen gas mileage, would look ridiculous on the Fit. IMO, the highest you can go on the Fit is 17" wheels.

Old 01-10-2006 | 10:51 AM
Thumbs down rant

Hard for me to figure out why Honda is catering just to the younger crowd, and short changing us with the US version. I'm in my 50's and have been looking for a replacement to my old VW bug for some time now. I was interested in the element when it was came out, but it was a disappointment. now here is the fit ... if it goes for over 14K here in US for base model, and if you want cruise control and fog lights, necessities here in SF, one must go for the sport version,
if I purchase one of these I'll scrap all that crap (body parts + wide wheels) or just wait until something else comes along. Still can't believe the Us version will have rear drum brakes,
My 3 yr old chevy astro van has all wheel discs, shucks even my bicycle has all wheel disc brakes ... Honda get with the program!!!

Old 01-10-2006 | 11:28 AM
mav
You people really complain too much... from poor gas mileage, rear drum brakes, Sport being too expensive, no cruise control on the base model, suspension, blah blah blah.

For a measely $13K, you get a versatile little car that gets excellent gas mileage despite the naysayers, with more features than any other car in its class. Gezz, what more do you people want? If Honda would have given us the 1.3L engine with 80HP and a 12-second 0-60 time, you people would be bitching that its too slow. I whether have a car that delivers decent performance with great gas mileage than a snail on wheels that delivers hybrid-like fuel economy.

At $13K and with all of its features, Honda is practically giving the Fit away.

Old 01-10-2006 | 12:00 PM
5 Year Member
I love it when people complain about having no cuise or fog lights unless they fork out for the Sport, when you could easily add these in the aftermarket. The way I see it, you get alot more in the Sport package that easily justify the investment: Keyless+Security+Immobilizer, MP3 Audio, Ground Effects, 15" wheels. Thankfully, the new tyre size is widely available 195/55R15 vs. 185/55R15 worldwide.

Also, when you bitch about rear drum brakes, let us know why? Do you work on your own brakes? I see no big deal in servicing my 99 Civic EX's rear drums. After the messy first time, it is now a breeze.

Do you race your car and you need better braking? Well, no more than 20% of the braking is provided by the rear. Drums are quite adequate. Besides, they are MUCH more reliable and do not just seize over time. Keep in mind Honda = Reliability and I applaud the decision on rear drums. If you need better braking, you can buy better tyres, then better pads/shoes.

And if you want discs just for show, well I can't really feel sorry for you :P

Last edited by VelociRacer; 01-10-2006 at 12:09 PM.
Old 01-10-2006 | 12:20 PM
5 Year Member
I hate rear drum brakes. Harder to change the pads, and they brake better. Everyone knows most Hondas suck with respect to braking distance, so I'll take all of the extra braking capability I can get. I dont see the reliability of rear discs as an issue at all.

Doesn't every other Fit (UK and JDM) have 4-wheel discs now?

Old 01-10-2006 | 12:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by corey415
Everyone knows most Hondas suck with respect to braking distance
I don't know where you got that from. I certainly KNOW they don't.

so I'll take all of the extra braking capability I can get.
Allow me to ask: What kind of tyres are you running? And on what Honda?

FYI, with suitable Max-Performance (DOT rating of 280 or less) tyres, and good brake pads (Hawk HPS), I can make my car stand absolutely on its nose without lockup. What's your application? All-season tyres? What do you expect?

Proper tyres will transform your car. I used Toyo Proxes T1-S, Kumho ECSTA MX, and Avon Tech M500 with OEM and Hawk HPS pads, even w/ OEM shoes and stock suspension (99 Civic EX Coupe 5sp). SCCA Detroit region #1/#2 rank in my class (2003/2004), need I say more?

Old 01-10-2006 | 01:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by VelociRacer
I don't know where you got that from. I certainly KNOW they don't.
They do most of the time. Look at any car magazine review for the Accord or the CR-V for example. And look at the brake distance specs. Most of the time Honda has the worst braking distance. I understand that much of this is due to crappy all season tires. But some of this is also related to the braking force (lack of) generated by the brakes.

Your car is modified. I am taking strictly about stock configuration.

Old 01-10-2006 | 01:18 PM
5 Year Member
They do most of the time. Look at any car magazine review for the Accord or the CR-V for example. And look at the brake distance specs. Most of the time Honda has the worst braking distance. I understand that much of this is due to crappy all season tires. But some of this is also related to the braking force (lack of) generated by the brakes.
I have to admit that my car came with some of the worst All-Season tyres out there (Firestone FR680). Your only connection to the ground is your tyres. Trust me when I say the tyres are the MAIN reason ANY car does poorly in braking tests.

Your car is modified. I am taking strictly about stock configuration.
Please read again, my brakes are stock. I only have 15" Rota wheels instead of 14" OEM steelies...

Originally Posted by VelociRacer
...even w/ OEM shoes and stock suspension (99 Civic EX Coupe 5sp).

Old 01-10-2006 | 01:35 PM
5 Year Member
Well you said you used aftermarket tires and brake pads.

Again I understand the importance of high performance tires. But considering that every other Fit now has 4-wheel discs, I am disappointed that the US Fit was left out.

Again, I'll take any performance benefit that 4 wheel discs provide (whether it be brake distance or fade resistance).

Old 01-10-2006 | 01:44 PM
mav
Just an FYI...

75% of the braking is done by the FRONT brakes. Yeah I would have liked to have rear disc brakes as well, but rear drums is more than sufficient for this type of car.

And regarding that ignorant comment about "Hondas suck with respect to braking distance", my S2000 brakes just fine thank you.

Old 01-10-2006 | 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by mav
Just an FYI...

75% of the braking is done by the FRONT brakes. Yeah I would have liked to have rear disc brakes as well, but rear drums is more than sufficient for this type of car.

And regarding that ignorant comment about "Hondas suck with respect to braking distance", my S2000 brakes just fine thank you.
I agree here. Rear discs would have been preferred probably because they are easier to change and look cooler but the drums will suffice.

Also, everyone Honda I have ever owned braked great! Esp. my del Sol.

Old 01-10-2006 | 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by crxgator
as far as drum brakes are concerned - who cares...the drum brakers are lighter in weight than disc and will be great for daily driving. the only way to are worse is when it comes to changing shoes compared to brake pads and not having the bling bling effect. i could have sworn they had 4 wheel disc though?

airbags - i hate airbags and am fine without 6 airbags hitting me in the face...two is fine...
Not every collision is front end. Many people die each year from getting T-boned. I would much rather have my head hit a side airbag, rather than the side window, B-pillar, or worse yet, the front end of another car.

stereo of only 120w and four speakers? well first off it is six speakers according to honda
Wrong! See the specs for the standard Fit at http://www.hondanews.com/CatID2150?m...35878&mime=asc. Only the Fit Sport will have the 6 speaker stereo.

and does hyndai have an iPod adapter with their cars? very doubtful. the 1.5L 5 speed is fine for this car. it is like a 5 door version of the crx which i find very appealing to me. it weights 200 lbs more and gets great gas mileage as well as well as very practical when it comes to moving things and from what i have seen it can handle/race very well...i am sure it will be a great competitor in various places with the help of aftermarket companies...

btw 18" rims are lame...
Really? The premise of your statement is that large rims look stupid. I guess the major manufacturer concept car designers don't know anything about style, and you're the king of style. I guess these new concept cars would look much better with smaller rims.

Larger rims make the difference between a "chick's car",

... and a "guy's car".

Last edited by papawhiskey; 01-10-2006 at 03:21 PM.
Old 01-10-2006 | 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by mav
18" wheels, besides adding extra weight and worsen gas mileage, would look ridiculous on the Fit. IMO, the highest you can go on the Fit is 17" wheels.
My point exactly! The wheel wells are too small for 18" rims. But if Honda made the wheel wells larger, you could put 18" rims mounted on tires that actually have some sidewall.

Even your signature pics of the S2000 display that large rims look cool on a car.

Old 01-10-2006 | 02:07 PM
mav
Those are 18" BBS wheels on my S2000. My point is that NOT all 18" wheels will make any car look cool. A very small car like the Fit will look ridiculous with 18" wheels. 18" wheels works for an S2000, but not a Fit.

Old 01-10-2006 | 03:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mav
I didn't say ALL Honda's suck with respect to braking distance. I said MOST. I know that the S2000 and the NSX have great brakes and come with better tires.

Old 01-10-2006 | 03:41 PM
yo dude,
I think you spelled it out when you wrote "messy first time",
Look Honda Makes Fits with rear discs, I'm just asking why is US market not getting the updated version? Yes there are aspects that appeal to me on the sport version,
that's why I'd rather go that way round (instead of fixing up standard model)
base model has been listed for 14K - I paid 18K for my chevy astro van (with cruise, auto headlamps, pw everything, and eight speaker sound system!) - but it only gets 18 mpg...

Old 01-10-2006 | 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by mav
Those are 18" BBS wheels on my S2000. My point is that NOT all 18" wheels will make any car look cool. A very small car like the Fit will look ridiculous with 18" wheels. 18" wheels works for an S2000, but not a Fit.
So your saying any small car like the Fit would look stupid with 18" wheels?

Old 01-10-2006 | 03:52 PM
Yeah, but it's a Chevy

Quick Reply: Down graded Fit for Americans suck!!!