General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Invisible Mask Review

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 04:56 AM
Invisible Mask Review

This is a review for Invisi-Mask Hood kit from Invisible Mask for all you Fit Freak that is thinking about DIY paint protection kit.

The kit cost $99.00 and comes with 1 hood, 2 fender and 2 side mirror pieces.
As part of their special offer the kit comes with free priority shipping, installation kit (2 spray bottles, 1 syringe, 1 rubber squeegee, 1 small box knife and 1 microfiber towel), and a pair of Door Edge guard.
It should have comes with door cup kit but for some reason it wasn't in the box and my e-mail to that company asking about it is still unanswered).

Here is what comes in the package

Here is another picture with the sheets unrolled. It's hard to capture them on camera since the film is clear and the liner is white.

I just got the hood piece installed today and here is my impression about the kit.

Material
  • I feel of the Invisi-mask is not as "rigid" as 3M film even when they are both the same thickness.
  • On that account I feel that it's easier to stretch the Invisi-mask out.
  • From what I remember the 3M film is a bit more foggy initially but clears up after a few days.
  • One thing in common; when both materials are almost at their stretching limit there will orange peel-like texture showing. But off course you won't see it until you wipe all of the soap solution off.
Fitment

The first time I got the film on the hood I said to myself, "They put warning about how the pieces will be a little small but this is ridiculous".
With the kit centered there was about 1/2" gap on both sides (from the edges of the hood to the closest edge of the kit).
But after slowly and continuously stretching it I managed to get the film to reach the edges.

First Impression on the installation
Overall this film looks pretty good. I can hardly see the transition line standing 2 feet away from the car.
Even though it requires patience and perseverance (and a lot of elbow grease) it's not that hard to get this piece installed. I think the bumper kit will be quite a challenge though.
I guess now is just a matter of testing it in the real world and see how it compares to 3M film.

I might install the fender pieces tomorrow if I got their orientation figured out.

*Tips*
On the instruction DVD they recommend "folding" any part of the film that sticks out using a stiff card wrapped in paper towel.
Be really careful not to slide the card forward when pulling it out as it can accidentally "grab" film that sticks out and creased the area around it.
Only use straight in and out motion or use your fingers to do folding.

Here is the damage that I did.

Last edited by FITinMyPocket; 10-18-2008 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Pictures Hosting Update
Old 10-18-2008, 05:34 AM
Great review! thank you so much! i am actually thinking about this product. Oh, I cannot see the pictures. Can you make sure the links work?

Old 10-18-2008, 01:59 PM
SoTF> Sorry my first time posting pictures on a forum.
What funny is I can see the picts from 2 different computers.

Can someone confirm if the picture is there or not.

Thanks

Old 10-18-2008, 02:07 PM
5 Year Member
Pics not working for me.

Old 10-18-2008, 02:20 PM
Banned
no pics for me

Old 10-18-2008, 02:29 PM
Sorry. I figured out why.
Yahoo said I exceeded my hourly data transfer limit.
I've just created an account with image shack and will update the links.

Old 10-18-2008, 02:44 PM
Picts Updated.
Hope everybody can see them now.

Old 10-18-2008, 07:46 PM
can see the pix now. thanks! Looks like you did a great job w/ this thing. Dont' forget to tell us your experience installing the rest of the kit.

I am actually more interested in the bumper kit. That's the bigger challenge isn't it? the hood is almost flat. the other pieces are small. the bumper will be a real hassle, but is the area that needs most protection.

Last edited by Surviver of the Fittest; 10-18-2008 at 07:50 PM.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:53 PM
Retired Moderator
Pic`s look great!!!...and love the color of your car too... MOAR Pic`s please

Old 10-20-2008, 12:26 AM
Arrow

Hi Everybody,
Thanks for all the kind comments.
I will post update as soon as the other pieces are done.

Now is just a matter of real world testing.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:51 AM
5 Year Member
ah neat! I had ordered some 3M raw material 6"x3' which i cut lengthwise in half to use for my rear doorsills since my dogs scratch them up getting in and out. I installed it this weekend and botched it up somewhat (as I expected to do!). The curves are rather severe. I have a couple large bubbles (like 2.5" x 0.25") that the kit says should evaporate with the sun (which my doorsills never see), or I can prick them with a syringe. What do you recommend for that?

I'll make a new thread with pictures once I feel the job is completed.

Old 10-20-2008, 11:32 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
that sounds like a worthy kit to try especially at that price.
good job on the install.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:43 PM
That is a good question.
On the front end of the car (hood, etc.) I think it might not be a good idea since the hole might become a weak point for the film.

Originally Posted by Fit4Pits
ah neat! I had ordered some 3M raw material 6"x3' which i cut lengthwise in half to use for my rear doorsills since my dogs scratch them up getting in and out. I installed it this weekend and botched it up somewhat (as I expected to do!). The curves are rather severe. I have a couple large bubbles (like 2.5" x 0.25") that the kit says should evaporate with the sun (which my doorsills never see), or I can prick them with a syringe. What do you recommend for that?

I'll make a new thread with pictures once I feel the job is completed.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:54 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
a pin hole is not going to matter that much. ive done a few clearbra installs
myself and they even sell a tool for pro's dedicated to percing.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:03 AM
I finally got time today to try figure out how the fender piece should be installed.
Now I'm really worried after seeing how small the coverage is.

I wish it could be as big as the full coverage kit from X-PEL but off course they charges $550.

Hmm..maybe I should get an uncut sheet and make a custom one for the fender.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:54 AM
I think they have full coverage kit now but may not be available for hte Fit yet. Ask them when they will be available and if you can just buy the fender pieces alone.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:12 AM
Updates after a little over 3 months of use.

The film on the hood (the only piece I installed) are peeling on the upper passenger side.
Sent a couple of e-mail to Invisible Mask in the middle of January but have not got any response. The kit comes with lifetime warranty against peeling but it's pretty useless when the company won't respond to e-mail.

I have to remove the film first but there might be possibility that the film didn't really do a good job on protecting the paint underneath it. I found a couple of spots where the paint seems to have flaked off even when the film is still intact.

So overall I would not recommend this product due to the quality and customer service issue.
The 3M kit from X-pel that I have on my other car seems to give better protection the car and their support line are actually responsive.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:08 AM
Your car looks great...Great reviews...

Old 12-13-2009, 07:59 PM
Do not use Invisible Mask. They sent an incomplete shipment and would not send the rest of the parts. Refused to talk to me on the phone. I had to dispute the order through my credit card to get my money back.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:10 PM
Yes, I got the same experience.
They listed door cup kit to come with my kit and they have never sent it ot me.

They were responsive before the payment was made but after it's done they didn't respond to any of my 5 e-mails.

The kit that they sold starting to peel and I saw some rock chip underneath the film.

Too bad it's too late for me to claim through my credit card.
Maybe I should post my experience in the rip off report.

Buyers beware!!

Quick Reply: Invisible Mask Review