General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

18-20 MPG in san francisco...please help

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 01:18 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by R35553H
Sir, turn off A/C when it is not hot enough to have it on. The A/C compressor creates unnecessary friction/strain on your engine.

Do you drive with your patrol car, too? You can't really compare between the two. Your patrol car has a V8 and three to four times the torque of the Fit. Hence, it was easier to get around the city with your patrol car than the Fit.

If you drive your Fit like a Fit, your mileage should improve, however, if you drive your Fit like your patrol car...well, you get my point.

I hope those two points help.
WHAT? LOL

I didn't say anything about driving my patrol car? That thing gets like 3 MPG with the v8 and the weight of all the equipment in the car.

I dont turn my AC on unless I'm on the highway or its the SUPER rare day that it gets over 80 degrees in the city and my kids are in the car.

Today the gas light came on at 204 miles, I drove to the Chevron and put in 8.5 gallons and that equates to 24mpg which I'm happy with, this includes more highway driving than usual but I'm happy with this, not sure if the intake helped but it sounds great!

I'm going to keep an eye on it and see if it dips into the 18-19 range again, but thanks for the all the input guys!

Old 10-24-2008, 01:33 AM
24mpg is better then what you were getting before and it just varries from car to driver to conditions. i like to drive my car fairly hard and still get above 25mpg where as some others may drive harder then me in the fit and yield a better mpg.

i hope you find the problem and get better gas mileage otherwise it would have defeated a main purpose of buying the fit. you would have been better off with many other cars that can get better mpg.

Old 10-24-2008, 04:43 PM
Over the last 13 tanks and 6000ish miles I've averaged 41.2 mpg with an AT Fit. Worst tank was 37.5 best 46.3.

I'm ALL highway though. I cringe when I have to go to town and sit in traffic...And that's were I got the 37.5 tank.

Listen to what Pb and h is saying on the hypermile techniques. That boy's got it goin' on in the mpg dept. You can learn all you need/want to know over on http://www.cleanmpg.com

I wouldn't worry about your city mpg too much. It's a great car regardless.

Last edited by Rockrover; 10-24-2008 at 04:46 PM.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:22 AM
5 Year Member
Giving the OP suggestions when all of you don't even live in San Francisco is just plain wrong.

You guys haven't driven hard in San Francisco....

we should let people from SF talk on this subject, I live in the Sunset, so does LilCat, and not too many people on the forums live in SF, and drive hard. And don't say "I lived in hilly cities before" or "I'm living in a hilly city someplace else" meh!

he has good mileage. if he takes it easier, the best he can get is 25mpgs in the city.

Old 10-25-2008, 04:26 AM
Fa1
Originally Posted by CuTeBoi
Giving the OP suggestions when all of you don't even live in San Francisco is just plain wrong.

we should let people from SF talk on this subject, I live in the Sunset, so does LilCat, and not too many people on the forums live in SF, and drive hard. And don't say "I lived in hilly cities before" or "I'm living in a hilly city someplace else" meh!

he has good mileage. if he takes it easier, the best he can get is 25mpgs in the city.
What he said

Old 10-25-2008, 12:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CuTeBoi

It's not just the hills, either; it's also the traffic, as in traffic getting in your way.
For example, between O'Shaugnessy and 280, Bosworth has a stop sign. That's good for a 5 minute delay in the morning, and you can't coast the entire distance (downhill, then flat), so that's a lot of wasted gas. Freeways during rush hour are a mess, too.
There are also a lot of stop signs, so you end up wasting a lot of gas accelerating, even if you're not redlining it, just to stop again two blocks later (in the Sunset, for example).

I don't live in the city anymore, just visit my parents a lot, so I haven't done enough driving with my 08 MT to be able to give mileage numbers for city-only travel. Our branch offices up there are all out of the city now, so I spend time on the freeway to east bay, south city, and San Jose when I'm there.

--Barry, 08 FS MT BBP

Old 10-25-2008, 07:47 PM
5 Year Member
I've been here for a few years, and 1 year driving around from san jose to san carlos, I remember I made a topic about why I was getting 18~23mpg, with the exact same topic title. I had changed my driving habits from commuting to work with most highway getting 28~30mpg, to all city getting 14~23mpg, depending on what I was doing.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:14 PM
i get around 25-28 if i take it easy. start slowly then coast to the light 30mph. if i drive spirited then i'll get in the low 20-23. quick starts and hard braking.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:31 PM
Originally Posted by solbrothers
u have an auto, thats why ur mileage sucks
Telling someone in S.F. that their car sucks because it is an auto is psychotic.

S.F. is the one town I've ever driven in that has steep hills and then stop signs/lights while you're going uphill. That doesn't count the fact that you have people constantly trying to jaywalk in front of you, so you have to stop even in between signs/lights when the road is relatively flat.

I've driven in S.F. with a standard and I think it takes a special kind of person to want to do that full-time. Don't get me wrong, it is fun if you enjoy it, but most people have other things in life to worry about.

With that said, I life in Central Cal (read flat) and get roughly 29-30 mpg when I do more city driving. I do a lot of highway driving in the hills (no stops, especially going up hill) and find that I can increase to 32 - 34 at most (that is a LOT of highway driving, going up the hill and then back down).

So, I don't think your car gets that bad of mileage for the Fit. I received the same, if not better, mileage out of my Integra AND I was doing more city driving.

I just don't think this car lives up to expectations for mileage. At least not in Ca. I read in another thread that the ethanol in our fuel might be partly to blame.

Last edited by KatzeChicX; 01-04-2009 at 11:55 PM.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:01 AM
5 Year Member
all city + autotragic = shitty mileage

Old 01-05-2009, 12:02 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by katzechicx
telling someone in s.f. That their car sucks because it is an auto is psychotic.

S.f. Is the one town i've ever driven in that has steep hills and then stop signs/lights while you're going uphill. That doesn't count the fact that you have people constantly trying to jaywalk in front of you, so you have to stop even in between signs/lights when the road is relatively flat.

I've driven in s.f. With a standard and i think it takes a special kind of person to want to do that full-time. Don't get me wrong, it is fun if you enjoy it, but most people have other things in life to worry about.

With that said, i life in central cal (read flat) and get roughly 29-30 mpg when i do more city driving. I do a lot of highway driving in the hills (no stops, especially going up hill) and find that i can increase to 32 - 34 at most (that is a lot of highway driving, going up the hill and then back down).

So, i don't think your car gets that bad of mileage for the fit. I received the same, if not better, mileage out of my integra and i was doing more city driving.

I just don't think this car lives up to expectations for mileage. At least not in ca. I read in another thread that the ethanol in our fuel might be partly to blame.
i didnt say the car sucks, although autotragics suck, imo. I said his fuel economy sucks because, its all city, and its an autotragic, and it in san francisco where there is nothing but hills.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:02 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
my fit sport AT gets 32-33 almost always and its just lowered, which actually helped a lil bit, especially with side gusts. I run 35psi in the tires. Whenever I drive in SF I get like 27mpg. The more shit you have in your car the worse the mileage will be.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:00 AM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by solbrothers
i didnt say the car sucks, although autotragics suck, imo. I said his fuel economy sucks because, its all city, and its an autotragic, and it in san francisco where there is nothing but hills.
Any hills will have the same effect. If it's a 15% incline, it's a 15% incline, whether it's in the city, or on a highway. It takes more gas to go uphill.

City or highway, starting from a stop, going uphill, uses more gas.

On very steep hills, starting from a stop with a stick is scary. Why? Because in S.F. people get right on your bumper, and there is no room to roll back a bit. So then I'd pop the gear, the weight is mostly on the back of the car, the car is front wheel drive, you get a little screech from the front, then the car dies, then it rolls backwards, and that was about when I start to cry as I was rolling towards the sidewalk.

When I had the VW anyway. It was a stick. I'd have to carry a map with me, and reroute around the steepest hills, because they were too scary.

The automatic is SAFER on such hilly streets. Can't be rolling backwards towards sidewalks and other cars.

The gas mileage will be crappy on such streets with stop signs or lights every single block, no matter what car you drive.

And sitting at a stop light, or waiting for a cow or chicken to cross the road is still the same, coming to a stop and waiting. So it's not just city, country routes can have the same. Highways can have accidents or construction that make stop signs on city streets seem like the speedy way to get somewhere.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:34 AM
5 Year Member
By the way, I noticed a huge difference in the routes I can take to get to various places. One highway is very hilly with long lights, and sucks the gas. I can take a route that is almost level, with shorter lights and almost level, with a lower speed limit and get way better mileage...but it takes longer. Because I'm not driving as fast.

I get to use all the tricks of stretching the gas by slowing down long before lights or stop signs, and without having to jam down the gas pedal so that the people on the highway coming up fast at the light don't run into me.

Try different routes when you can. Zero out the trip odometer. Go there and back. Check the miles and MPG. Zero out the trip odometer, and take a different route there and back, check miles and MPG. The shortest or fastest route might not be the best route for gas.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:38 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Seriously, I hate driving my cars in SF. I have to go diagonal through almost every intersection in my accord, and if you have a full car of people it's even worse, I have actually beached my shit in SF even with angles. The clutch smells like ass after a while with a full car no matter how good the driver, the E-brake helps for starts/stops. Having an AT in the city is SOOOOOOO much better. Having a beater for the city: Priceless. Also, riding a superbike in the city is taking your life into your hands, and it will probably get stolen. Best vehicle in the city is a POS with an auto, or an old beat street fighter or motard bike with a big cable to lock the wheels in place or to a street pole

Old 01-05-2009, 07:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Shaggs2Dope
Seriously, I hate driving my cars in SF. I have to go diagonal through almost every intersection in my accord, and if you have a full car of people it's even worse, I have actually beached my shit in SF even with angles. The clutch smells like ass after a while with a full car no matter how good the driver, the E-brake helps for starts/stops. Having an AT in the city is SOOOOOOO much better. Having a beater for the city: Priceless. Also, riding a superbike in the city is taking your life into your hands, and it will probably get stolen. Best vehicle in the city is a POS with an auto, or an old beat street fighter or motard bike with a big cable to lock the wheels in place or to a street pole
I totally agree with you! Except the part about the clutch smelling like ass. I don't even know what that means. Since I now have the automatic, I'm not going to make a day event out of running out to sniff cars at stop signs on hills. Plus I'd have to sniff asses. That's either people butts or something like a mule. I'd probably get arrested for sniffing people butts and I've never seen a mule on city streets.

That is one reason I seriously considered the Smart car. Dinky automatic. And if I had a need for and a choice of city daily drivers, I'd go for an older Honda CVCC.
Honda Civic CVCC (1975) with pictures and wallpapers

I still think they need to bring back the CVCC in a slightly updated form. With a convertible. Tiny, four seater, good on gas, strippy, convertible.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:17 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
or make a del sol sized vehicle with mid engine rear wheel drive with a CBR1000RR motor, and have it available with 6speed sequential gearbox or cvt auto. Even if they put a 600RR motor in it the thing would have 110hp at the wheels, weigh under 2000lbs and have a redline of 15,000RPM. Or make an EG style hatchback and pop it in there. If you had the 1000cc motor you would put down 150hp at the ground.

Have any of you guys checked out the K-1 attack. I tried to get one of them but they stopped making the chassis with the honda motor mounts, now you can only get one with ford sourced motors. I would love to have an 1800lb mid engine rwd with 200hp/161tq before mods