General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

FAS switch

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 09:25 PM
FAS switch

I made one thanks to Paul.

I decided to try and mount the FAS switch on the stock shifter knob. A dremel is your best friend for this. I know it doesn't look that great and I am not sure if this will be my permanent fix. I might get some different wires or use the things that cover wires and run them up through the shift boot but this is the process and how it sits now:

The sport and stock shift knob:
Name:  FASmounting001.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  17.7 KB
Name:  FASmounting002.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  13.8 KB

The stock knob cut a little too much:
Name:  FASmounting004.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  20.7 KB

Cut knob on shifter(see too much):
Name:  FASmounting003.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  38.9 KB

Mock up of switch in place:
Name:  FASmounting006.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  13.6 KB
Name:  FASmounting007.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  15.9 KB
Name:  FASmounting008.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  14.9 KB

Final destination:
Name:  FASmounting010.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  15.0 KB
Name:  FASmounting009.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  14.4 KB

Old 10-11-2008, 10:37 PM
Hey I know you're for a good cause but aren't you taking it a little too far? Just my .02c

Old 10-12-2008, 12:23 AM
points!

I think you deserve credit for the effort put forth. Aesthetically it sucks but that's not what this project is about. What about accidentally hitting the switch when you did not intend to? I'd like a more discreet location. Why did you choose the shifter knob? I'm not a hater, this interests me and just want to know.

Old 10-12-2008, 01:09 AM
cleanMPG?

Hey is the way you're hooking up the switch the same as is pictured at cleanmpg.com? I like the fact that it works through the fuse panel. Is your switch using the same bottom end (fuse panel) approach?

Roll my own FAS switch - CleanMPG Forums

I have to admit that I'm a little anal about the "top end" (what people see) appearance. Hypermiling is cool but I wish to maintain the GD-3 fit's clean interior. Compromise and cost/benefit is what it's about. I'm moderate and unashamed. I want MPGs but that's not all there is!

Old 10-12-2008, 08:26 AM
5 Year Member
dont really follow the ECO post.. just curious what is the FAS switch and what does it do?

Old 10-12-2008, 09:02 AM
Black01 - how is this any different than say putting on a header, exhaust, suspension, for better performance or more speed. I chose to mod for better mpg.

Feddup - I am not really liking the aesthetics of it either, I am not sure how easy this is going to be to use.
When I tested it Friday without having it mounted, I held it in my hand while shifting and I did not accidentally hit the switch even though it was cumbersome. The shifter felt like the ideal place at the time and I thought I would hack up the stock knob since I didn't use it. I think it would be nice if I could coat the knob with rubber to make it look uniform. Not sure what else to do besides leave it like it is or let the switch hang loose in the car which I didn't like because I felt like I would snag it on something or accidentally hit it. I am definitely up for suggestions.

AtticusFit - FAS is force auto stop. The switch is a normally closed switch connected to the fuse that controls the fuel pump. When you press the button you break the circuit and cause the fuel pump to shut off. This eliminates having to turn the key in the ignition to turn the car off. That yields no lost mileage(car is never off), no down time, and no sudden loss of power steering. It is a simple idea that works great IMHO. It cost me a whole $10 for the switch(off ebay from china, seriously couldn't find it any where else and they sent me 5 switches) and the rest of the fuses, connections and wires I found at work.

Last edited by pb and h; 10-12-2008 at 09:06 AM.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:27 PM
good work

Originally Posted by pb and h
Feddup - I am not really liking the aesthetics of it either, I am not sure how easy this is going to be to use. I am definitely up for suggestions.
Although much less convenient would that little space by our left knee (I put a garage door opener in there) work? It's not perfect but is close to the fuses. I'm pretty anal about aesthetics and I think that it could be done tastefully. No matter where the location with constant use it would become second nature to the user. The shift knob is too intimate an "user interface" for me to jeopardize it's sensitivity in this way plus I think accidentally hitting the switch would be inevitable. Kudos to you on a cool meaningful project. Most "mods" I see do nothing or, more likely, actual damage.

Old 10-12-2008, 02:19 PM
I use the cubby hole for my phone and gum. My thoughts of putting it there or below are as follows:

- I would have to use my left hand
- cons of left hand would mean I would need to use my right hand for steering and that would take longer than just having it in a spot that my hand is currently occupying.

I thought about locating it behind the steering wheel, something similar to the paddle shifters but I don't want to make any permanent changes. The way it is hooked up now, I can quickly(less than 5 minutes) remove everything(wires, switch and knob) like nothing was ever there without any traces.

I will definitely know come Monday whether or not it will suit my needs or be a PITA. Sitting in the garage it feels great.

Old 10-12-2008, 05:59 PM
5 Year Member
I am not really liking the aesthetics of it either, I am not sure how easy this is going to be to use. ...

I am definitely up for suggestions.
If I may: Perhaps a two part epoxy like JB Weld to fill it in? You can then sand and paint as you wish.

You mentioned rubber. There is a liquid rubber (latex) sold in cans designed to be used on soldered connections. I think it's called Liquid Tape, or some such. Simply brush/daub on and let dry. The can I have at home (I'm in SC right now) is black, but there are other colors available. I remember seeing a liquid rubber for dipping tool handles, too.

Old 10-12-2008, 07:22 PM
5 Year Member
Shawn, A simple thing to hide the Frankenstein look. Go to a sports shop or bike shop and get some of the Web wrap. I'd say black. just wrap it up. I would also thread the wire down the boot and under the center console and off to the fuse box.

Did you see the note about 1000 rpms?
Works as good as I said right...

Last edited by pcs0snq; 10-12-2008 at 07:24 PM.
Old 10-12-2008, 08:20 PM
E=Mc2 - that is what I was thinking about assuming this is the right location for me.

Paul - I was thinking of that as well but I haven't had a chance to find some of that stuff yet. And yes, it dies quickly at 1K.

Old 10-12-2008, 08:24 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
wouldnt this make you run super lean at idle? seems like you are sacrificing the life of your engine for better mpg.

Old 10-12-2008, 09:33 PM
Not sure if I understand your question. If you cut the fuel pump then the engine dies. Like turning the key to off or Direct Fuel Cut Off which the ECU does automatically when in gear and not pressing the gas pedal.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:07 PM
agreed

Not sure if I understand your question. If you cut the fuel pump then the engine dies. Like turning the key to off or Direct Fuel Cut Off which the ECU does automatically when in gear and not pressing the gas pedal.
Agreed! if the engine's not running (you shut it off with the FAS switch) how can it run lean. It's not running! That's the point of his experiment.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:10 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
oh okay. sorry, i didnt fully understand the concept. so how does the engine start back up?

Old 10-12-2008, 11:28 PM
being a fitfreak means never having to say I'm sorry!

Originally Posted by kelsodeez
oh okay. sorry, i didnt fully understand the concept. so how does the engine start back up?
You shouldn't be sorry nor should anyone persecute or "hate" you. If you have an AT then I'm guessing the starter is required. I'm an MT lover and "poppin" the clutch at just the right moment is "the shit" for an MT owner. I need to be VERY CLEAR! I've never FASed for one second. I'm here to learn. My BBP paint gets ate up with chips when I'm NOT drafting other vehicles. Cutting out the fuel pump on a long downhill grade seems like a nice option. I repeat I'm lurking on this thread in a hope to learn. I'm not MR hypermiling experience!

Old 10-12-2008, 11:33 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by feddup
You shouldn't be sorry nor should anyone persecute or "hate" you. If you have an AT then I'm guessing the starter is required. I'm an MT lover and "poppin" the clutch at just the right moment is "the shit" for an MT owner. I need to be VERY CLEAR! I've never FASed for one second. I'm here to learn. My BBP paint gets ate up with chips when I'm NOT drafting other vehicles. Cutting out the fuel pump on a long downhill grade seems like a nice option. I repeat I'm lurking on this thread in a hope to learn. I'm not MR hypermiling experience!

okay THAT is horrible for your engine. bump starting in a four stroke internal combustion engine is horrible for your piston rings and seals, driveshafts, transmission, clutch, valves and catylitic converter.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:46 PM
The engine will start up when you step on the gas while rolling. Example is if you're going downhill and you shut the engine off by hitting the FAS switch, then when you reach the flat surface then you step on the gas, the engine should come back running.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:53 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
id be interested in seeing a video of this applied. is that possible?

Old 10-12-2008, 11:54 PM
popping the clutch

okay THAT is horrible for your engine. bump starting in a four stroke internal combustion engine is horrible for your piston rings and seals, driveshafts, transmission, clutch, valves and catylitic converter.
Explain to me how popping the clutch in a properly chosen gear (guessing 4th at 50 MPH when going downhill) is horrible for the engine. What evidence do you have?

Quick Reply: FAS switch