General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Springs or save for coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 10:15 PM
5 Year Member
Springs or save for coilovers

Hey guys the next thing i want for my fit is to lower her. But its my DD and i don't want my struts to go at 50k with aftermarket springs. I want ethier tanable GF or skunks. So how long will these springs hold up on a fit that does not see the track?? Any ideas guys if they do go at 50k which i saw a couple of guys saying that. than i would rather just save up for coils becasue those should be good for the life of the car right. Sorry new to suspension mods, and looked for the info but could not find any info on it

Old 10-06-2008, 10:20 PM
well it all matters on your driving.. but the stock shocks were not made for a drop. soo they will go out non the less. but springs are the cheap way to drop your car but coilovers will be the best choice cause you wont have to worry about your shocks and its adjustable other then the springs once they settle thats how it is. but if i was you just save up for coilovers.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:21 PM
personally, im saving up for coilovers because i rather pay the extra cash for adjustability and peace of mind. U wont have to worry about your suspension once u get coilovers. As for springs, temporarily lowering is fine and many members have had their's for awhile and without any problems. but i say, COILOVERS!

Old 10-06-2008, 10:28 PM
5 Year Member
I was thinking coils just because why would i put springs on if i will have to replace the struts at around 50k. And that way i do get peace of mind. But i guess springs would work for a year or so to i save enough for Coils. Thanks for the input and giving me the facts

Old 10-06-2008, 10:48 PM
5 Year Member
stock shocks will go regardless. i say rock springs till you are ready for coilovers. i had springs for 10k miles. no issues. nao im on coilovers.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:58 PM
5 Year Member
get springs and when yer shocks go get coils. unless of course 50k for you is like a year away...I was wanting coils but unless I find some decent ones for under $1kish I think I'll just rock some skunk springs when winter's done here.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:59 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
even with stock springs your dampers can go at 50k. depends on how you drive.

you'd best off with coilovers or springs + upcoming hitachi dampers.

Old 10-06-2008, 11:43 PM
5 Year Member
i feel you should get a spring/shock/strut combo first, then graduate into coil system.

Old 10-06-2008, 11:48 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
I am confident that your shocks will last 50k+ miles with aftermarket springs. but the performance is not going to be as great as with a properly mated spring and damper, of course.

I am wondering about something though; it seems people are always talking about stock shocks going out when used with aftermarket springs, but has anybody really had this happen to them? i haven't gone through many cars, only 2-3 depending on how you look at it, but i have never had blown OEM shocks with aftermarket springs. this includes after putting springs on a 70k mile car and then driving it till the odometer had 120k on it.

i'm not saying it's not going to happen but really i am just curious if some of you are saying the shocks will go out simply because that's what you've heard, or because you've experienced it (or personally know someone whom it has happened to, i guess).

Old 10-07-2008, 12:59 PM
5 Year Member
Yes that is what i am trying to see to is i hear that they go around 50k but i have never seen it. I think i will just get some springs till i have enough for the coils

Old 10-07-2008, 02:35 PM
5 Year Member
if its just a dd i would just do springs now and then if your shocks blow which i doubt they will, go for coilovers or just replace them. itll be much cheaper to do that and plus ull get a nice drop.

Old 10-07-2008, 03:20 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by doctordoom
I am confident that your shocks will last 50k+ miles with aftermarket springs. but the performance is not going to be as great as with a properly mated spring and damper, of course.

I am wondering about something though; it seems people are always talking about stock shocks going out when used with aftermarket springs, but has anybody really had this happen to them? i haven't gone through many cars, only 2-3 depending on how you look at it, but i have never had blown OEM shocks with aftermarket springs. this includes after putting springs on a 70k mile car and then driving it till the odometer had 120k on it.

i'm not saying it's not going to happen but really i am just curious if some of you are saying the shocks will go out simply because that's what you've heard, or because you've experienced it (or personally know someone whom it has happened to, i guess).
i had shocks leaking using neuspeed springs in the past on my prelude.
one of the main reasons why i went with TEIN HA's at the time.

it depends on the spring rate and how you drive your car.

if you guys are thinking about spending a few hundred on springs and
couple hundreds more on dampers, you're within striking distance to
getting the enduratechs. they're only $899. just spend the money
and get it right the first time.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:24 PM
5 Year Member
Well im looking at geting just some used springs for around 120-150 on here some Skunks or tanables GF. Than in a couple of years geting the skunk coils it seems that those coils are good from the reviews i read.