General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Is Fit worth buying compared to 1.6L?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 09:17 PM
Is Fit worth buying compared to 1.6L?

Just signed up for a fit,wondering if that is a gd choice.Meaning as compared to a Lancer, its more expensive, size is smaller,underpower..
Lancer looks spacious,better with boot and much cheaper.
Any comments any1?

Old 12-01-2005, 10:48 PM
5 Year Member
You kinda answered your own question there,

But the jazz can't really be compared to a larger car, HOWEVER, the space in a jazz is actually quite large.

You can fold seats up, so you can fit tall items such as plants, or you can fold them flat for longer items. You could pretty much sleep in the back of a honda jazz as the seats fold down absolutely flat.

Old 12-02-2005, 04:03 AM
Someone that Posts too much
Mitsubishi has an advertising campaign at the moment in Australia, "if you can find a better built, better backed car then buy it." So I took their advice and bought the Honda. There is really no comparison between the build of a Lancer and the Honda.

As for power superior engine technology in the Honda more than compensates for a slightly smaller capacity. The CVT leaves the Mitsu slush box for dead. No wonder Mitsi uses a CVT on the Colt. They just haven't got around to doing it in the Lancer yet.

Resale value in Singapore would be even higher than here for the Honda.

Honda is a financially secure company and an excellent global corporate citizen. Mitsubishi is still on the verge of bankruptcy despite being bailed out by Daimler. Remember Mitsubishi was found guilty of lieing to its customers globally and outright fraud.

Old 12-02-2005, 08:35 AM
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by vividjazz
Mitsubishi has an advertising campaign at the moment in Australia, "if you can find a better built, better backed car then buy it."
They're pushing the same campaign here in the States - it ain't working...

Old 12-02-2005, 09:05 AM
worth buying don't worry. me getting 1 soon

Old 12-05-2005, 12:00 AM
Originally Posted by jsee335
worth buying don't worry. me getting 1 soon
Hopefuly I dun regret. Anyway, heard bad comments of lancer too.

Old 12-06-2005, 04:55 AM
Mitsubishi has an advertising campaign at the moment in Australia, "if you can find a better built, better backed car then buy it." So I took their advice and bought the Honda. There is really no comparison between the build of a Lancer and the Honda.

As for power superior engine technology in the Honda more than compensates for a slightly smaller capacity. The CVT leaves the Mitsu slush box for dead. No wonder Mitsi uses a CVT on the Colt. They just haven't got around to doing it in the Lancer yet.

Resale value in Singapore would be even higher than here for the Honda.

Honda is a financially secure company and an excellent global corporate citizen. Mitsubishi is still on the verge of bankruptcy despite being bailed out by Daimler. Remember Mitsubishi was found guilty of lieing to its customers globally and outright fraud.
Is the Honda Jazz 1.5L manual transmission fun to drive too? Our budget only allows for the manual 1.5. I could've chosen the 1.3 CVT but I like the bigger engine and the packaging of the 1.5 looks more attractive.

Old 12-06-2005, 05:30 AM
I haven't driven the manual Jazz as my wife can't drive a manual. I can't see why it still wouldn't be fun as its still attached to a great engine and the rest of the car is the same great design.

Also getting lazy in my old age not wanting to speed 90% of the drive with the clutch pushed in with Sydney traffic. I'll ride my other Honda (VFR) if I want to change gears. The Jazz manual is not suited to the highway as gearing higher than the CVT. To me a large part of what sets the Jazz apart from the rest of the crowd is the fantastic CVT.

Last edited by vividjazz; 12-06-2005 at 05:36 AM.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:50 PM
Here in the states Mitsubishi is actaully dying. Every year they sell less and less cars. They're always breaking down and having major problems. And the vehicles they come out with are always less than what you paid for. So, go with the Honda. I've been a Honda fanatic ever since I bought my first Honda (a CRX) back in 2000. I'll never own another car besides a Honda.

Old 12-06-2005, 02:20 PM
Exclamation

Actually the 3 diamonds are doing better...
...but I still wouldn't buy one.

Mitsubishi Motors Reports November U.S. Sales
Thursday December 1, 3:01 pm ET

CYPRESS, Calif., Dec. 1 /PRNewswire/ -- Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc., (MMNA) today reported November sales of 8,902 units -- a 7.2 percent increase from November 2004 and the second consecutive month of a year-over-year sales increase. "We continue to believe that rebuilding our brand is a matter of succeeding one step at a time, one month at a time, one new model at time," said David Schembri, executive vice president of sales and marketing at Mitsubishi Motors North America. "At a time when our industry is struggling to keep pace with last year, we're very encouraged with back-to-back monthly increases."

Eclipse continued its dramatic improvement with 1,930 units sold, up 243 percent from November 2004.

Galant was Mitsubishi's volume leader for the month with 2,110 units sold and up 6 percent from last year.

The Endeavor closed with 1,936 units sold up 27 percent from last year. Sales of total Mitsubishi vehicles assembled in North America were up 51% compared to November 2004.

"Our exciting, new products, communicated by our breakthrough advertising, are driving customers to our dealerships," Schembri said. "The stage is set for us to continue this product offensive with the launch of the new 2007 Eclipse Spyder next February."

Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc., (MMNA) is responsible for all manufacturing, finance, sales, marketing, research and development operations of the Mitsubishi Motors Corporation in the United States. Mitsubishi Motors sells coupes, convertibles, sedans and sport utility vehicles through a network of approximately 570 dealers. For more information, contact the Mitsubishi Motors News Bureau at (888) 560-6672 or visit media.mitsubishicars.com.

Source: Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc.

Old 12-06-2005, 03:09 PM
If you add up the number of Mitsus in that article and divide it by the number of dealers (570) thats only 10.5 cars sold per dealer. You wouldn't want to be on of those dealers trying to make a living.

Old 12-08-2005, 11:52 PM
Smile

Yipee, looks like I made the rite choice after all!Anyway,the specs say that 24km/L. I dun tink it is that true till that extent.Any1 can contribute more accurate 1?

Old 12-25-2005, 02:55 PM
Hello I have just traded my Honda HRV (1600) for the Fit/Jazz which is 1500 and I have to say from a girls point of view I have found the fit to be much more of a machine! When I put my foot down to take off for an overtake she handles like a dream where my HRV took a little bit more time to get the speed up and it was a 1600!! You wouldnt be making the wrong choice in buying a Fit/Jazz as I would have more of them parked in my garage if I could afford it! You have made the right choice.

Old 12-28-2005, 04:40 AM
I haven't driven the manual Jazz as my wife can't drive a manual. I can't see why it still wouldn't be fun as its still attached to a great engine and the rest of the car is the same great design.

Also getting lazy in my old age not wanting to speed 90% of the drive with the clutch pushed in with Sydney traffic. I'll ride my other Honda (VFR) if I want to change gears. The Jazz manual is not suited to the highway as gearing higher than the CVT. To me a large part of what sets the Jazz apart from the rest of the crowd is the fantastic CVT.
vivid, do you have more gear ratio info on the CVT and Manual ?

Old 12-28-2005, 05:25 AM
WRT to gear ratios for the manual I thought is was in the manual but I can't find it. Has to be the 1st car I've ever owned where the ratios aren't published in the manual. It just has suggested speeds for shifting gears and maximum allowable speeds. I suppose that gives some idea of the ratio.
1st to 2nd 15mph
2nd to 3rd 25mph
3rd to 4th 40mph
4th to 5th 47mph
The maximum allowable speeds are different for the different engines 1.2L, 1.4L (aka 1.3L in some markets), 1.5L VTEC. Since the 1.5 VTEC is the most applicable to the US market I'll reproduce those figures.
1st 32mph
2nd 58mph
3rd 82mph
4th 105mph
5th not listed
These speeds will hit the rev limiter.

As for ratios for CVT its continuous. There is not a final ratio or anything in the manual.

Heres some pretty graphs though (power and torque curves). KW is approx 1.1x PS. You'll need to convert to hp.

1.5L VTEC

1.3L

Someone who has access to one of those elusive Honda workshop manuals might have some more information on ratios.

Last edited by vividjazz; 12-28-2005 at 05:35 AM.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:54 AM
OK found this in Japanese.

Ratio for CVT 1st 2.367 - 0.407
Reverse 4.226 - 2.367
Final gear ratio 5.777

This is on the original 1.3L i-dsi released in 2001. Ratio is different for the 4WD version of the Fit only sold in the JDM.

The car was not sold in Japan with a manual gearbox.

Old 12-28-2005, 05:57 AM
Here we go manual 1.5L VTEC ratios

Ratio 1 3.142:1
Ratio 2 1.750:1
Ratio 3 1.241:1
Ratio 4 0.969:1
Ratio 5 0.805:1
Reverse 3.230:1
Final drive ratio 4.111:1

Old 12-29-2005, 11:26 PM
Originally Posted by Kirsty
Hello I have just traded my Honda HRV (1600) for the Fit/Jazz which is 1500 and I have to say from a girls point of view I have found the fit to be much more of a machine! When I put my foot down to take off for an overtake she handles like a dream where my HRV took a little bit more time to get the speed up and it was a 1600!! You wouldnt be making the wrong choice in buying a Fit/Jazz as I would have more of them parked in my garage if I could afford it! You have made the right choice.
Maybe bcoz its lightweight?I heard 1.3L very diff to do overtaking!!

Old 12-30-2005, 01:16 AM
I'd be quite suprised if they even offer the 1.3L in the US market and the 1.3 doesn't sell that well in the Oz market. Most of dealers don't even have one for a demo. The 1.3 is still the same 1000kg car as the 1.5.

I found the 1.5L VTEC CVT almost as peppy as my 4L 6 cylinder ute except I wouldn't tow a boat with the Jazz.