General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Honda oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 10:23 PM
Honda oil filter

Since my car had about 2200 miles on it I decided to do the first oil change.
The filter was $8 at the local dealer but I am going to find a better filter at the next change.
The tapered gaskets do not hold near as well as the solid base rings of conventional filters. And at 3/4 turn its bottoms out the filter body anyway. I noticed its made by Honeywell.
I imagine NAPA Gold would have a quality filter.
Oil was full but very dark and thin. I have sent a sample to my buddy to forward for analysis. I expect it to be heavy on moly as was the sample from his CRV.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:04 AM
I used to like to try different filters for oil changes, and sadly i tried a NAPA gold filter. It did get high marks, but unfortunately the one i purchases was not constructed properly and its seal busted and I began to loose oil and a bit of pressure at the same time.

OE is typically the best for the vehicle when the vehicle is left stock condition. The car company did the homework and it's probably the best for it. Especially when getting cars from large manufactueres.
Then again i'm a Fram ToughGaurd user...haha.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:35 PM
Although I have used Fram filters throughout the years I regard them as pretty much bottom line.
Funny about your luck with the NAPA Gold. My BMW buddies regard them as a top line filter.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:50 PM
yeah i was pretty bummed about it.
The fram orange base filter is crap, no doubt about it. And even the ones higher than it are not much better - but are better. I've discovered that one of my family mechanic shops uses penzoil and penzoil filters. I was a bit shocked when i checked one out and from the looks and feel of the filter, it was no different than a basic fram - and it sure seems to cost as little too. He just swears by them and has never had any issues remotely related to filters. He told me that its pretty simple - if you simply go for oil changes before or at the recommended times for the type of driving you do, it almost never matters what filter or even oil you use. He was of course reffering to daily driving, and not hauling or racing.

So yeah. get what you like. haha.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:07 PM
5 Year Member
everything you want to know about oil filters

Opinions and Recommendations - Oil Filters Revealed - MiniMopar Resources

i came to the conclusion Purolator PureOne, one of the best before you go to K&N or Mobil Filters, they're easy to find too

Old 09-23-2008, 07:14 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i only use factory or M1 filters