General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

I'm gonna get the footwell lighting done

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 01:34 PM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
I'm gonna get the footwell lighting done

I called my dealer (the one that DIDN'T get me a Fit!) and they gave me a price of $251.05 to install the foot lighting (ambient lighting). That sounds pretty fair to me, for a job that I am not competent to do, nor do I have the time and patience to do it correctly. I really want that lighting so I'm going to get it done this week. They said it would take about 3 hours so I can take some photos of the '09 Fits while I'm there if they have any on the lot. Will I take a test drive...hmmmmmm....

Edit: Aw crap! I just called the service guy back to make sure they would have the BLUE kit in stock, and he remembered that the '09 Fit is substantially different from the '08. There is NO ambient lighting kit for the '08 so my hope is that the '09 will retrofit into the '08. If not, I guess I'm going to be looking for an installer...

Bummer. Sorry about the thread for nothing...But I will update if/when he lets me know.

Last edited by Juliane; 09-22-2008 at 01:40 PM.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:54 PM
5 Year Member
Well, bad news - the lighting kit from the '09 WILL NOT work for the '08.

Waaaahhh. I would rather have Honda install these mods if possible. They referred me to the tint shop that tried to upsell me into spending more than $100 more than they quoted me over the phone. I'm not going to use a shop like that. Now I have to find someone to do this...I guess I will ask the Houston Fitfreaks for help.

Old 09-22-2008, 02:23 PM
dood just get a strip of neon and velcro it up under by the pedals. Nobody will see the neonbar or velcro

Old 09-22-2008, 02:28 PM
5 Year Member
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...ome-light.html

Maybe you can just buy the stuff and ask an electrical engineer type friend to install them for you. Doesn't seem hard, just tapping into a few wires.

Old 09-22-2008, 03:36 PM
5 Year Member
LedGlow Led Underbody Lighting and UnderGlow Kits and Accessories - Interior Kits

That's where I got mine. It's alot cheaper, only cost me about 50 bucks shipped, and took about an hour to install myself. Not difficult at all man. I can take some pics if you wanna see.

Old 09-22-2008, 05:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by totomark
LedGlow Led Underbody Lighting and UnderGlow Kits and Accessories - Interior Kits

That's where I got mine. It's alot cheaper, only cost me about 50 bucks shipped, and took about an hour to install myself. Not difficult at all man. I can take some pics if you wanna see.
Yeah, that would be great! If it's really that easy, maybe my 17 yo future engineer son can help me. Does your kit wire to your dome light? I want it to go on when the doors are opened.

Old 09-22-2008, 05:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by trancedsailor
dood just get a strip of neon and velcro it up under by the pedals. Nobody will see the neonbar or velcro
You make it sound so easy!! Ha ha, "dood." Thanks to my kids I say "dude" way too much...I know people must laugh at me...it becomes a habit.

Where do you plug in this neon, pray, tell? I want it to go on when the car doors are opened, not like having a chain pull to turn it on like an office lamp or something.

Old 09-22-2008, 05:36 PM
5 Year Member
is "street glow" completely rice or what...???

Old 09-22-2008, 06:18 PM
5 Year Member
i did this for one of my girly friends. she wanted some pink lights.

i went to autozone bought 4 like 6 inch light bars.

and just started tapping the electricals into different places.

she had 2 cigerette lighter holes so i just tapped into the front and the rear.

there are many ways to do it. you realy just need to find a decent power source.

and i just double side tape the light bars onto the plastics. you cant see them. and under the seats.

Last edited by SD_MR_FIT; 09-22-2008 at 06:21 PM.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:08 PM
5 Year Member
ShopsterlingHonda.com! Hamiltons' Honda Superstore!

this OEM kit should be cheaper. says it should only take 1 hour of installation time @ $95/hour.

hope this helped.

Last edited by Tofuman; 09-22-2008 at 07:11 PM.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:30 PM
5 Year Member
Try LEDs - underbody kits, cathodes, flexible LED strips, dome lights

I installed a set of the cathode tubes in our old scion xB and oznium was the cheapest I could find. Installation was pretty simple too! Go for it!

Old 09-22-2008, 08:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Tofuman
ShopsterlingHonda.com! Hamiltons' Honda Superstore!

this OEM kit should be cheaper. says it should only take 1 hour of installation time @ $95/hour.

hope this helped.
I wonder why you can have a light kit up there in the frozen north, and we can't...I will call my dealer tomorrow and show him this website. Wonder if he could order it from Ontario and have it sent down here...

Everyone thinks it's really easy to install this mod...so I will consider it...if I can find just the right kit and someone to show me how to do it. I am a hands-on learner, I like to have personal instruction... THX.

Oh, but look at the photo - it's blue - but the description says red, yellow, or orange. NOPE! I want blue and blue only.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:00 PM
streetglow is the way to go for any kind of neon if possible. I would totally get undercar kit sometime

Old 09-22-2008, 09:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by trancedsailor
streetglow is the way to go for any kind of neon if possible. I would totally get undercar kit sometime
Really?? It's not rice? It might not be legal either...I have to check into that. I would want that only on a switch I could turn on or off. And I'd have to get my white rims first...(dreams of cruising down streets looking so sick...)(yeah, right, grow up!)

Old 09-22-2008, 09:14 PM
I don't think it's rice much, seeing as how you don't know it's there during the daytime, and not even at night unless you flip the switch. Even if it IS rice, I dun care, I like flashy bright lights

Old 09-22-2008, 09:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Juliane
I wonder why you can have a light kit up there in the frozen north, and we can't...I will call my dealer tomorrow and show him this website. Wonder if he could order it from Ontario and have it sent down here...

Everyone thinks it's really easy to install this mod...so I will consider it...if I can find just the right kit and someone to show me how to do it. I am a hands-on learner, I like to have personal instruction... THX.

Oh, but look at the photo - it's blue - but the description says red, yellow, or orange. NOPE! I want blue and blue only.
We're having a "wrench meet" in Lake Elsinore, CA this Saturday. If you want to swing by, I'll be glad to show you how to do it.

(Yes, I know you're in TX; just kidding!) I bought a few strips of LED lights for installation and testing this weekend. I'll be installing custom map lights, a "makeup light" for my wife above the passenger visor (which now has a mirror on it), and experimenting with wiring up lights for the footwells and door sills, as well as light strips in the head and tail lights. I'm fairly experienced at soldering in connections and figuring out wiring, thanks to my Dad. I'll make a photo tutorial on the whole thing.

Some of the experimentation this weekend will determine which type of lights I buy for the door sills, so I don't have the blue LED strips yet. However, blue is the color I'm choosing for most of the lights that won't be used for reading (or makeup). I buy most of my lights from SuperBrightLEDs.com; from what I saw, they are cheaper than Oznium, but I didn't do a thorough comparison.

I think blue looks pretty good with a Blackberry Pearl Fit!

--Barry, 08 FS MT BBP

P.S. In California, blue and red lights are illegal if visible from outside of the car (while moving). Those colors are reserved for emergency vehicles. I'm considering a blue underbody kit, but I would only use it for show. Of course, I may do blue AND red, so I have a purple underbody kit to match my car.

Last edited by bdrake; 09-22-2008 at 09:17 PM.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:31 PM
5 Year Member
I will look forward to your tutorial! That would be great.

Just from a quick look, I think that any color light is OK in Houston, as long as it doesn't resemble a police bar or flash in any way. They don't want you to fake people out or cause any other drivers to think you are an emergency vehicle. I will have to check it out with the cops themselves, but I've seen some glow in blue and red here. If the bulbs show, you can get ticketed, too. So up under the body, softly lighting the street in blue, should be good. Of course my sons would disown me, but I will be stealth about it..."Where you goin Ma?" "Oh, just down to Kroger for some milk..." (gets in Fit and flips on glow switch...cruises down the street freaking out the local dogs and cats...)

Purple underbody would be smokin! Let me know how that works out...

Old 09-22-2008, 11:39 PM
5 Year Member
This is what it looks like...the ones I have are the ones I linked you above. Sorry in advance for the huge pictures--I'm still new here, as far as posting goes anyway, and I don't know how to resize. >_<

Name:  IMG_0026.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  37.0 KB

front

Name:  IMG_0027.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  23.6 KB

back

Name:  IMG_0031.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  37.1 KB

side

Name:  IMG_0032.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  23.8 KB

rear, both front doors open

Sorry for the crappy quality, but as you can see they're pretty bright. The install wasn't hard--it's not linked to the dome lights, however--it's wired to the fuse box, so they turn on when you turn the car on. I like em. Let me know what you plan to do!

Last edited by totomark; 09-22-2008 at 11:41 PM.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:12 AM
5 Year Member
That's a nice job. You have some nice, even lighting there. Did you use CCFL's or LEDs?

You can easily resize the pictures with MS Paint. Open the picture with Paint, click on Image, Stretch/Skew, 50%, save it, done. That's assuming you are using a PC, of course.

For the under-dash, under-seat, and under-body lights, I'm thinking of using a plexiglass tube to put the lights in. I can cable tie that up, and the tube is stiff enough to support the lights along its length. Underbody, I would seal both ends so that the lights are waterproof and protected. Scratches from road dirt, etc., shouldn't matter; they would just diffuse the light a little more. If they get damaged, then new plastic tubes are a lot cheaper than new LED strips.

--Barry

Old 09-23-2008, 02:24 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks! They're LED's--it comes as an LED strip in a tube, like you suggested. You can check it out where I linked it further up in the thread. I can't wait to get some underbody lights as well--in time.

Thanks for the picture advice--I totally forgot about that, as I had already uploaded them and was trying to resize them in the post box. :P

Quick Reply: I'm gonna get the footwell lighting done