General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

2009 Sport - Gas Cap Door Doesn't Lock ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 02:48 AM
2009 Sport - Gas Cap Door Doesn't Lock ?

Does anyone know where to find a locking gas cap for my 2009 Sport?

Just went to fill the car up for the first time and was shocked that the gas cap door didn't lock? Why didn't they put a door release inside the car like on most other Honda models? Someone really dropped the ball on this one!

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-22-2008, 03:27 AM
i picked one up at Autozone for about $10(or $15) for my 2007.....works fine.

Old 09-22-2008, 05:15 AM
agreed!

Originally Posted by ru4real
Does anyone know where to find a locking gas cap for my 2009 Sport?

Just went to fill the car up for the first time and was shocked that the gas cap door didn't lock? Why didn't they put a door release inside the car like on most other Honda models? Someone really dropped the ball on this one!

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
I agree but it is what it is! You'll have to buy a locking gas cap and, yeah, it's still not as good as other Honda models. Why? I wish we had a Honda source from whom we could ask such questions. We don't! The Fit DOES have flaws and many are puzzling!

Old 09-22-2008, 08:16 AM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
There is no inside release for the hatch, either. Both involve cables, so I suppose there is a price point involved. I haven't bothered with the locking cap - I figure it's going to be too much trouble to siphon unless you are getting more than 6 gallons (assuming my tank isn't 100% full). I'd think people will go after a large SUV or pick-up with big tanks.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:20 AM
5 Year Member
i think they didn't use cables cause the gas tank location

Old 09-22-2008, 09:00 AM
If you look at the inside of the fuel cap "hatch", there is a catch molded into it. And on the vehicle side, opposite from this catch, is a small panel. I haven't looked inside, but it looks like it MIGHT be possible to add some sort of cable driven pin that would lock the hatch closed. Maybe Honda is planning this on the next model year.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:15 PM
I have tried siphoning gas (didn't feel like going out to getting gas for the mower) out of my 08 with a full tank and I can only get about half a gallon out before sucking air. I worked at the hose for a good five minutes trying to get more, but nothing. I was using a 3/8 inch clear line and it has to go in about 3 feet to hit the tank. The filler neck has quite a few twists and it is hard to get the hose down far enought to get any. I don't know if it is worth it to get a locking cap.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:27 PM
not worried about the siphoning part at all.....

I'm more concerned with the vandalism part (someone putting something in the gas tank that could damage the car)

sugar, salt, water, pee, etc....

Old 09-22-2008, 09:34 PM
You are right. I wasn't thinking in that direction. Missing gas and you are out a few dollars. Something gets thru the gas filter or gumms up the whole tank and you are out big bucks.

However, In my younger days (about 20 years ago) I can see myself telling the officer:

"So I was walking down the road and had to go realy bad. There is a tree, a fence... No wait, I know, I will pee in this guys gas tank!"

Old 09-22-2008, 10:22 PM
5 Year Member

I'm more concerned with the vandalism part (someone putting something in the gas tank that could damage the car)

Just make sure you don't hack some immature person off!!

Old 09-22-2008, 10:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by seeremlive
I have tried siphoning gas (didn't feel like going out to getting gas for the mower) out of my 08 with a full tank and I can only get about half a gallon out before sucking air. I worked at the hose for a good five minutes trying to get more, but nothing. I was using a 3/8 inch clear line and it has to go in about 3 feet to hit the tank. The filler neck has quite a few twists and it is hard to get the hose down far enought to get any. I don't know if it is worth it to get a locking cap.
The thing is, how is anyone going to know that the Fit doesn't have a locking gas cap unless they go around pulling at all the little doors?? How does anyone find that out? Don't criminals go for easy and quick? I think siphoning gas out of our little tanks is a waste of time and energy, and if someone is mad enough at you to put sugar in your tank, he or she could also do other damage like keying your paint or breaking your windshield, slashing tires, etc.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:48 PM
Fa1
They will read this thread

Old 02-11-2009, 06:45 PM

Bumping because I filled my tank up for the first time today, and after fumbling around the inside of my car for several minutes searching for the release, realized there was none, and that the gas cap didn't even lock.

My concern is vandalism as well. Any new developments on this front since the last post from September of '08?

How do you guys feel about this?

Old 02-12-2009, 12:50 AM
5 Year Member
There are several threads about this in the 2nd gen forum. Some have had luck with aftermarket gas caps others have had luck with the Honda Element gas cap. I personally tried the 07-08 Fit locking gas cap with no luck.

Originally Posted by superfriend
Bumping because I filled my tank up for the first time today, and after fumbling around the inside of my car for several minutes searching for the release, realized there was none, and that the gas cap didn't even lock.

My concern is vandalism as well. Any new developments on this front since the last post from September of '08?

How do you guys feel about this?