General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

I Wonder How Many Chevy Aveo Buyers Have A Clue The Car Is A Daewoo?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 11:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by feddup
Nothing new here. I'd like to add GM/isuzu/daewoo.

I liked that My fit was made on mainland Japan but I'll bet my life that there's ALL KIND OF CHINESE PARTS IN THERE! Those interrelationships aren't going to end they will, in fact, get worse. Get used to it, the world is FLAT!
yeah, but have you confirmed what other parts honda uses? if not, its just an assumption.

and the fact that the fit is built there is only good for 'true jdm' rights. if they built it in the U.S., it would be just as nice/reliable, like all hondas being made here since the 80's.

Old 09-16-2008, 12:43 AM
true

Originally Posted by eldaino
yeah, but have you confirmed what other parts honda uses? if not, its just an assumption.

and the fact that the fit is built there is only good for 'true jdm' rights. if they built it in the U.S., it would be just as nice/reliable, like all hondas being made here since the 80's.
I have no idea what the Japan made % of the parts is. I think that's why I made the statement. I know in the world of electronics the "made in Japan" logo actually means something. They (the Japanese), farm out their low end work. As for "made in America" Hondas I'd like to avoid them. Americans (and I'm one of them) have a (and I'm going to get SO flamed for saying this out loud) "good enough" work ethic. I'm American and would prefer my car be assembled, at least, in mainland Japan. Their record is proven. When I was young I was a GM lover, tried and true, but when their products showed their "TRUE COLORS" mediocre and luke warm than I switched. I'd love it if American car makers would rise up to the challenge. I'm tired of being from the land of "good enough" (insert hillbilly guffaw here).

Old 09-16-2008, 02:34 PM
Daewoo Is The Bottom Of The Barrel

In terms of Korean cars. I remember when they tried to make a go of it in the US. They lasted maybe 2 years. The quality is simply not there. Worse than cars like the Chevy Cobalt and that's pretty bad. I was surprised when Honda rebadged an Isuzu however at least an Isuzu is a decent quality product. The Aveo is a tiny death trap that doesn't even provide good gas mileage since the company simply does not have the technology. Kinda like Chevrolet! Or they would not be forced to rebadge a Daewoo to compete with the Versa, Yaris Fit, etc. Chevy can produce the technology, they simply have not done so. Bob Lutz in his infinite wisdom has dragged GM down to the piont where they need a bail out from the government while Toyota takes the lead. Sad state of affairs and the Aveo typifies their mentality.

Old 09-16-2008, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by SlavetotheHonda
In terms of Korean cars. I remember when they tried to make a go of it in the US. They lasted maybe 2 years. The quality is simply not there. Worse than cars like the Chevy Cobalt and that's pretty bad. I was surprised when Honda rebadged an Isuzu however at least an Isuzu is a decent quality product. The Aveo is a tiny death trap that doesn't even provide good gas mileage since the company simply does not have the technology. Kinda like Chevrolet! Or they would not be forced to rebadge a Daewoo to compete with the Versa, Yaris Fit, etc. Chevy can produce the technology, they simply have not done so. Bob Lutz in his infinite wisdom has dragged GM down to the piont where they need a bail out from the government while Toyota takes the lead. Sad state of affairs and the Aveo typifies their mentality.
WOW, so the ZR1 has no technology??? Or the new Camaro and Malibu. Or how about the MT car of the year the Cadilac CTS(not a Chevy but a GM). You realize Ford and Chrysler are both hurting right??? Isuzu's are garbage period, thats why you do not see them around to much. Hell the Isuzu is Acsender is a rebaged Trail Blazer. The Honda Passport's sold horribly, I would know I sold them when I was in college. There is nothing wrong with buying an AVEO. It is a cheap car for people who don't want to spend $$$ or can not afford another car. Hyundai is another Korean car company and they are doing very well. There quality is up to par to now a days.

Hyundai charges into lead in quality study - Autos - MSNBC.com
Industry Report Part 1: New J.D. Power Initial Quality Survey Puts Hyundai Above Toyota | Auto Newss | Automobile.com
Yah the Koreans have no idea what they are doing ^^^^ You really should do some research before you show your ignorance.

Last edited by 6speedmaster; 09-16-2008 at 04:33 PM.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:26 PM
I Bought A Ford Mustang When They Resdesigned Them

Broke down at 46 miles. Why does Ford, GM and Chrysler CONSTANTLY lag behind the Japanese? It is poor management and lack of quality control from what most experts say. As for a Daewoo, I would not put then anywhere near the same league as Hyundai. They are more like Hyundai when they first hit the US market 20 years ago. Blown engines, constant electrical problems, poor infrastructure etc. If Daewoo was of the same quality they would be "in the game" here in the states. They tried and failed.

Old 09-16-2008, 04:26 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
to me a yaris and aveo are like the same thing.

Old 09-16-2008, 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
to me a yaris and aveo are like the same thing.
LOL, no way the Yaris is a Toyota

Old 09-16-2008, 10:03 PM
agreed

Originally Posted by 6speedmaster
LOL, no way the Yaris is a Toyota
The yaris will be on the road, uglier than shit, when the Aveo has been scrapped for a decade.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:09 PM
5 Year Member
I have had ALOT of experience with the Chevy Aveo (four years worth to be exact) and I can say it is a huge piece of junk. The car feels shoddily put together. The handling is bad, and the gas mileage is sub-par. The interior is poorly designed and it's WAY smaller than other cars in the sub-compact segment. Maybe in 2001 when it was released it was good in comparison, but now with the Versa, Yaris and Fit out, it can't hold it's weight. It's cheaper than other things in the segment for a reason.

It's still better than the PT Cruiser though *shudders*

Old 09-17-2008, 08:29 PM
Odds are that most buyers are "Pro-American" which is nonsense nowadays anyway. I'll bet 10-1 that the Chevy salesman almost ALWAYS tell the buyer the cas is a US built car. Yes the sticker is an indicator but anyone buying an Aveo probably isn't checking where it was assembled and the amount of US parts etc. They sure are selling ALOT here in Hillbilly Florida!
Nah, my fiance bought one (sedan) when they first came out simply because it was super-cheap. He knew it was a Daewoo; in fact, when he bought it, the salesman told him that in a derisive manner, like he was trying to make sure my fiance would still want the car knowing that fact, lol. It's been a really dependable and reliable car. Not a huge fan of the steering (the Fit is *so* much better in that regard), but other than that, no real complaints about it. I would have bought one myself, actually, if I wasn't so enamored with the Fit from day one One of my coworkers has an Aveo hatch that she seems to be happy with.

Old 09-19-2008, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by Edison Carasio
I have had ALOT of experience with the Chevy Aveo (four years worth to be exact) and I can say it is a huge piece of junk. The car feels shoddily put together. The handling is bad, and the gas mileage is sub-par. The interior is poorly designed and it's WAY smaller than other cars in the sub-compact segment. Maybe in 2001 when it was released it was good in comparison, but now with the Versa, Yaris and Fit out, it can't hold it's weight. It's cheaper than other things in the segment for a reason.

It's still better than the PT Cruiser though *shudders*
Of course it's a piece of trash. Daewoo is truly the "bottom of the barrel" here in the US. An Indian 2K TATA might be of worse quality but that's about it. Daewoo couldn't make it here in the US when they tried 10 years ago because of the horrendous quality.

Old 09-19-2008, 07:45 PM
I am truly amused at all the people on here arguing over small econo boxes. Im pretty sure the person buying an aveo doesnt really care about where its made nor the quality to be honest. All they are looking for is a point A to point B car that is cheap, especially if you consider what a previous poster said about most people in an aveo being older white guys. Chances are they have a much bigger/nicer car in the garage at home (vette, mustang, ifinity, etc which are not as good on gas) and Im sure they are wondering why some of us would pay 18k for a FIT when it gets the same mileage as the aveo (plus or minus a few).

Last edited by FitPilot; 09-19-2008 at 07:49 PM.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:47 PM
5 Year Member
Of course it's a piece of trash. Daewoo is truly the "bottom of the barrel" here in the US. An Indian 2K TATA might be of worse quality but that's about it. Daewoo couldn't make it here in the US when they tried 10 years ago because of the horrendous quality.
Agreed. I have a friend who works for 5th/3rd bank. Mention Daewoo and you'll hear: 'Daewoo baaaad'. They absolutely refuse to finance anything made by Daewoo as they know they won't be able to get anything out of it if the buyer defaults.

I have to think that a number of people buy the Aveo thinking it is an American car simply because it's sold at Chevy dealerships. The 'average' American is getting more and more stupid. I know, I deal with them every day at work.

"Where are you going?"
'Uh... umm... ' -pulls out their ticket-
"You don't know where you're going?"
'Um... hold on...'
-me waits-
They actually have to look at the ticket, mind you - 'Um... Georgia.' (as an example)
"Where in Georgia?"
'Georgia!'
"What city in Georgia?"
'Din't you hear me say Georgia, muf***a! Why you got dat attitude like dat!'

stunned silence

"Go see customer service. You won't be getting there with me."
'Huh? I'm gettin on dis bus, muf***a!'

Words fail me.

Old 09-20-2008, 03:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fa1
Every Aveo I've seen on the road is an old white male driver.
OWM FTW!

Old 09-20-2008, 03:58 PM
5 Year Member
Spare vehicles

Originally Posted by Fat Ping Cat
check out this rice for sale on ebay..

$13,000 any takers?
Are the two motorbikes there as spare vehicles, so that when the Rice Aveo breaks in two, the driver and passenger can still keep going? Probably a good idea.