General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Hitch receiver for 2009

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 09:26 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DrPhyzx
Last I checked with the guys at Kuat, they were still saying September for the Kuat NV. That's not far away now and would be the best of both worlds.
Emailed them, and they said if the Beta doesn't work, then:

"you can hold out for 6-8 weeks we will be launching one of our new lightweight platform racks (The Sherpa) and it's going to be sweet. Info: 2-bike, 26lbs, 1.25" and 2" in one, cable lock, sweet looking, and an optional add on repair clamp."

Not sure if it's the same thing as the NV...

Old 07-14-2009, 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by drevil
Emailed them, and they said if the Beta doesn't work, then:

"you can hold out for 6-8 weeks we will be launching one of our new lightweight platform racks (The Sherpa) and it's going to be sweet. Info: 2-bike, 26lbs, 1.25" and 2" in one, cable lock, sweet looking, and an optional add on repair clamp."

Not sure if it's the same thing as the NV...
Yes... that's the rack formerly known as the NV. Have a look at the links I posted on it earlier in the thread. I wish I could have waited. I got a Saris Thelma which would definitely NOT work for your bikes. I'm not that thrilled with the quality (lots of plastic bits), but it's simple and works well.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:53 PM
5 Year Member
anyone had any experience with this??

Draw-Tite Class I Trailer Hitch Receiver 24776 : Trailer hitch bike rack and trailer hitches - etrailer.com

its for a GD3 by the way... I know this thread is for 2009 but i dont want to start a new thread or where to post this question. thanks!

Old 08-24-2009, 02:55 PM
I found this very helpful thread after searching for "U-Haul".

I'm considering purchasing a U-Haul hitch for my 2007 Fit Sport--and having them install it. Total price: ~$135.00. I wondered how far the U-Haul hitch would stick out. Thanks for the pictures, Len1 (and Triton)! It looks promising.

My purpose for installing a hitch is to attach a bike carrier. In particular, I'm considering this 30 lb SportRack platform carrier: Amazon.com: SportRack - A30901 - Universal Hitch Plat Form 2 Bike EZ (For 1.25"/2" Receiver): Sports & Outdoors. (SportRack was recently purchasd by Thule and are considered to be their budget line.)

I'm concerned, however, about DrPhyzx's posts mentioning that a platform carrier might damage the frame of the Fit.

Can anyone who has installed a hitch and who is using a platform carrier with it comment on this? (especially a *U-Haul* hitch, preferably on a 2007 Fit Sport) Thanks!

Old 08-24-2009, 03:17 PM
Originally Posted by cwaters
I found this very helpful thread after searching for "U-Haul".

I'm considering purchasing a U-Haul hitch for my 2007 Fit Sport--and having them install it. Total price: ~$135.00. I wondered how far the U-Haul hitch would stick out. Thanks for the pictures, Len1 (and Triton)! It looks promising.

My purpose for installing a hitch is to attach a bike carrier. In particular, I'm considering this 30 lb SportRack platform carrier: Amazon.com: SportRack - A30901 - Universal Hitch Plat Form 2 Bike EZ (For 1.25"/2" Receiver): Sports & Outdoors. (SportRack was recently purchasd by Thule and are considered to be their budget line.)

I'm concerned, however, about DrPhyzx's posts mentioning that a platform carrier might damage the frame of the Fit.

Can anyone who has installed a hitch and who is using a platform carrier with it comment on this? (especially a *U-Haul* hitch, preferably on a 2007 Fit Sport) Thanks!
30 lbs. is about the same as the Saris Thelma. In addition, if you read the manual in Sportrack's site, it doesn't say you need Class II (while it does for the similar 4-bike model.)

I don't know anything about the U-haul hitch, but my previous experience was that their hitches were just rebranded from Draw-Tite or another manufacturer.

I'm guessing you'll be fine if you load and drive it sensibly.

Old 08-24-2009, 03:54 PM
Thanks, DrPhyzx!

I was originally concerned that the end of the U-Haul hitch would stick out the back of the car in an unsightly manner--but that doesn't appear it will be the case. I guess I won't know for sure until after it's purchased and installed.

Old 08-25-2009, 01:43 AM
I put my DrawTite hitch on my 2009 Fit Sport and bought the easy light connector kit. Took 20 minutes, easy as can be. I pull a 5x8 utility trailer (quads, Home Depot shopping, etc.) Works awesome!

Old 08-25-2009, 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by Mustangx3
I put my DrawTite hitch on my 2009 Fit Sport and bought the easy light connector kit. Took 20 minutes, easy as can be. I pull a 5x8 utility trailer (quads, Home Depot shopping, etc.) Works awesome!
Good to know; thanks. Did that require installing electrical wiring, too? (for the brake lights, at least)

Old 08-25-2009, 09:50 PM
Yeah, the wiring kit simply plugs into the existing wire harness... click click click and you're done.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:55 PM
This is where I got mine.

2009 Honda Fit Sport hitch, receiver and lighting harness
eTrailer.com

Drawtite 24826 Class I Hitch
118420 T-one Wiring Harness
3593 Class I Drawbar (kit)

Old 08-30-2009, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the information about the wiring kit. So is the wiring harness something easily accessible at the rear of the vehicle?

Old 08-30-2009, 09:01 PM
BTW, on Saturday I drove to my regional U-Haul store that performs hitch installations. They had the hitch in stock. As DrPhyzx surmised, it looked *identical* to the one displayed on Draw-Tite's site. The installer put the vehicle up on the rack to perform the installation only to realize that the bolts and related items were not included with the hitch! The installer said that they are usually taped to the hitch; he said that they likely became separated somehow. He searched everywhere in the shop, to no avail. That was the only Fit hitch in stock so he is having another one shipped overnight. If all goes well, the hitch will be installed on Tuesday. Meanwhile, I received the SportRack carrier.

BTW, I noticed what appears to be a tow hook underneath the bumper--right where the hitch will be. Will installing a hitch interfere with that?

Last edited by cwaters; 08-30-2009 at 09:12 PM.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:25 PM
Can anybody post what their hitch looks like WITHOUT a carrier bolted in? I want to see how the various hitches (Uhaul, Drawtie, Hidden Hitch, Curt) look. I dont want an unsightly thing dangling from behind.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:07 AM
The wiring access is behind little plastic panels that you access the light bulbs at and VERY easy to hook up. The DrawTite brand does not interfere with the tow hook, I don't see how other brands would either. I can post an image this afternoon (still dark outside here.)

Old 08-31-2009, 01:44 PM
The installer at U-Haul showed me the hitch. There's not much to it. The only thing that looks like it will be visible at all is the actual coupling portion itself. The installer said that it appears the coupling portion will either be flush with the back end of the car or perhaps an inch or two underneath. I'm anxious to see the finished install.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:45 PM

Old 08-31-2009, 05:57 PM
Thanks, Mustangx3!

From your pictures, it looks like there are bars extending from the coupling out to the left and right edges of the car; is that correct? What year model is your Fit? According to http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2009_Honda_Fit.htm, it looks like a 2009.

The hitch that my U-Haul dealer showed me looked identical to the first one listed at http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2007_Honda_Fit.htm. That hitch, manufactured by Curt and for a 2007 Sport, looks much different; its bars extend diagonally underneath the car. The description says, somewhat ominously, that the "Skid shield must be removed for installation. The accompanying installation video at http://www.etrailer.com/tv-hitch_ins...honda_fit.aspx --which is excellent although mis-labeled, referring to a non-existent *2006* Honda Fit--states that the hitch attaches to the tow loop (perhaps making the tow loop thereafter inaccessible?), that the "skid plate" needs to be removed from the underside of the vehicle, and that the hitch covers up the same area exposed by the removal of the skid plate.

I hope I'm not making a mistake by installing this hitch!

Last edited by cwaters; 08-31-2009 at 06:11 PM.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:35 PM
Yeah, the bars go to the "unitized box frame" (lack of a better description). The passenger side has a unique attachment that wraps around the muffler area (pretty ingenious). This is a 2009 Fit Sport. There is just a tiny bit of wheel well inner fender plastic (size of a quarter) that is trimmed off to ensure the hitch sets flat (steel to steel) but I put the whole thing on myself in under 20 minutes (even searching for the right tools, etc.). Wire harness was extremely easy (plug and play). I've since added the black REAR BUMPER APPLIQUE to protect the bumper paint from the wire harness scraping the paint (on Ebay for like $40 bucks). So for this DrawTite model on a 2009 Sport there is nothing that really has to be removed or modified but that little inner fender plastic tab (I cut it with scissors). I love being able to carry bikes on the back and using my 5x8 utility trailer (Lowes) for all my shopping trips and to carry motorcycles/quads on. A couple weekends ago I pull my Polaris quad on the trailer down to Oregon Sand Dunes and got 34 mpg at 65 mph pulling the trailer!

Old 09-01-2009, 10:50 PM
Thanks Mustangx3!
I am getting that the Drawtite and the Uhaul version are perhaps the same hitch? If so, I'll look into how much the hitch is at my Uhaul place vs ordering & installing it myself. Sounds pretty easy. Thanks for the help.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:01 PM
The U-Haul dealer installed the hitch on my 2007 Sport this evening. Installation took about 15 minutes. The hitch was about $105. Labor and U-Haul's $5 anytime-anywhere lifetime warranty raised the price to about $140. The hitch looks identical to the Curt hitch displayed on etrailer.com.

As expected, the installer had to remove the skid shield--which is, basically, a metal cone or sorts that doesn't cover anything in particular. The installer said that it likely was there as a precaution to prevent the tow hook from scraping the ground when the vehicle bottoms out or would be towed from the front. He said that with the skid shield removed and with the hitch in its place, the hitch would serve the same purpose....and should be able to take the brunt of any scraping. I kept the skid shield and bolts, just in case.

The hitch isn't very obtrusive; it extends to the back edge of the bumper. Looking down from the top of the bumper, it's barely noticeable. Looking at the back of the vehicle, the only thing visible underneath the bumper is the coupler.

Last edited by cwaters; 09-02-2009 at 10:29 AM.

Quick Reply: Hitch receiver for 2009