General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Hitch receiver for 2009

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 12:15 PM
First post... I just got a hitch rack from U-Haul and a Yakima Hold-Up for my brand new Fit. I can take some pics if anyone wants.

Old 02-28-2009, 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by Len1
First post... I just got a hitch rack from U-Haul and a Yakima Hold-Up for my brand new Fit. I can take some pics if anyone wants.

Please post pics.

I am looking to get a receiver hitch. What model/brand? What is the ground clearance from tail-to-ground with Yakima Hold-Up installed?

Old 02-28-2009, 01:22 PM
Banned
All of us, either with, or without a hitch, would like to see what you got from U-Haul. Thanks in advance for your photo(s).

Old 02-28-2009, 06:24 PM

Old 02-28-2009, 06:26 PM

Old 02-28-2009, 06:32 PM

Old 02-28-2009, 06:34 PM

Old 02-28-2009, 06:35 PM

Old 02-28-2009, 06:36 PM

Old 02-28-2009, 06:38 PM
Hope all that helped. Its a 1'1/4" hitch from U-Haul with a Yakima Hold-Up. Pretty painless. I called U-Haul and they said they could order it and it would be in within three days. Install took about half an hour.

Old 02-28-2009, 07:32 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Nice looking rack!

That deserves a couple of green tic-tacs, thanks for posting up!

Old 03-01-2009, 02:46 PM
Originally Posted by manxman
Tim,
I just received my Hidden Hitch today. It is a small area of the plastic fender liner at the edge of the frame at the wheel well opening that has to be "trimmed" according to the instructions. Dzager used a file, and I may either do that or a small hacksaw. For the small etrailer price, this is a hell of a substantial piece of hardware. It is made with the same design as hitches you would buy for a pickup truck, and spans the entire width of the car, from inside edge to inside ege of each wheelwell. It uses existing holes in the body.

I will post photos when I get it installed, but this won't be for a few days yet.
OK... to get this back on topic, I'm about to order one of these after finishing some projects on the STI. However, in looking at the instructions, I think manxman has misunderstood my question about filing the keyhole. The instructions indicate that there is a plastic tab to remove, which does not concern me much, but also that a keyhole must be filed in the (metal) frame rail. I assume this is to slip the metal spacer that acts as a washer for the carriage bolt inside the rail. Am I correct? Is there no other way? I don't want to violate the galvanizing if there is any way to avoid it.

Thanks,
Tim

Old 03-01-2009, 02:57 PM

Pictures snipped...
Hey, thanks! Those are really helpful pictures. I like the looks of the Yakima and it appears you have no troubles with clearance. Unfortunately I'm stuck with Thule on the other car and am therefore biased to do the same here since I have a bunch of extra lock cylinders on the same key. Has anyone tried the similar Thule rack (the 917) on their Fit Sport? How did it work out and what did you think of it?

Old 03-01-2009, 03:10 PM
Originally Posted by DrPhyzx
Hey, thanks! Those are really helpful pictures. I like the looks of the Yakima and it appears you have no troubles with clearance. Unfortunately I'm stuck with Thule on the other car and am therefore biased to do the same here since I have a bunch of extra lock cylinders on the same key. Has anyone tried the similar Thule rack (the 917) on their Fit Sport? How did it work out and what did you think of it?
Speaking of clearance issues... do you have any pictures from the side? I am trying to figure out if the Thule 917 T2 will clear when folded up without an extender.

Alternately, do you think you could take some quick (~0.5" precision) measurements of:
1) Horizontal distance from the hitch pin location to the back of the bumper
2) Vertical distance from the hitch pin location to the top of the bumper

With that I could try to guess at how the 917 will work out using the measurements on Page 8 of the instructions:

http://www.rackattack.com/product-pa...structions.pdf

Old 03-01-2009, 04:31 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by DrPhyzx
OK... to get this back on topic, I'm about to order one of these after finishing some projects on the STI. However, in looking at the instructions, I think manxman has misunderstood my question about filing the keyhole. The instructions indicate that there is a plastic tab to remove, which does not concern me much, but also that a keyhole must be filed in the (metal) frame rail. I assume this is to slip the metal spacer that acts as a washer for the carriage bolt inside the rail. Am I correct? Is there no other way? I don't want to violate the galvanizing if there is any way to avoid it.

Thanks,
Tim
They are not "washers", they are threaded plates that require the keyholes in order to fit into the u-shaped frame rails. Just buy the hitch- a Physicist like yourself won't have any trouble at all figuring out how to mount such a simple device. Just smear heavy grease, or "Dip-It" from your hardware store on the exposed metal of the key hole to stop rust. No BFD. Mere mortals like Dave Zager and myself had no trouble.

Last edited by manxman; 03-01-2009 at 04:34 PM.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:42 PM
"Alternately, do you think you could take some quick (~0.5" precision) measurements of:

With that I could try to guess at how the 917 will work out using the measurements on Page 8 of the instructions:"

1) Horizontal is 4" from the securing bolt to the edge of the bumper and 2" from the edge of the receiver to the bumper.
2)Vertical is approximately 1.5" from the bottom of the bumper to the top of the receiver.

Also... When folded in a up in a stowed position the rack is about 4.5" from the back bumper.

Wait a bit for pics. I'll get one later.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by manxman
They are not "washers", they are threaded plates that require the keyholes in order to fit into the u-shaped frame rails. Just buy the hitch- a Physicist like yourself won't have any trouble at all figuring out how to mount such a simple device. Just smear heavy grease, or "Dip-It" from your hardware store on the exposed metal of the key hole to stop rust. No BFD. Mere mortals like Dave Zager and myself had no trouble.
Threaded? Are you sure? The instructions call them "spacers" and they look to me like the type of spacer that would have a square hole to accommodate the shoulder on the carriage bolt to keep it from spinning when you torque down the nut that is clearly shown going on the bolt from the outside. Thanks for the Dip-It tip. Seen it but never used it before.

In any case, are you about done being pissed off at me for being overly inquisitive?

Old 03-01-2009, 05:41 PM
"Alternately, do you think you could take some quick (~0.5" precision) measurements of:

With that I could try to guess at how the 917 will work out using the measurements on Page 8 of the instructions:"

1) Horizontal is 4" from the securing bolt to the edge of the bumper and 2" from the edge of the receiver to the bumper.
2)Vertical is approximately 1.5" from the bottom of the bumper to the top of the receiver.

Also... When folded in a up in a stowed position the rack is about 4.5" from the back bumper.

Wait a bit for pics. I'll get one later.
Thanks... it's going to be close for the Thule. I actually need the vertical measurement from the hitch pin to the top of the bumper for (2) but I'll assume you mean the closest distance from the receiver to the bumper cover and try to figure from there as best I can.

A pic that shows the profile from the side (with rack folded up) will help: the tightest clearance looks smaller than 4.5" from the other pics. If it's really close for the Thule, I'll probably have to go bricks-and-mortar on the 917 in case it doesn't work out and I need to go to the HoldUp.

Last edited by DrPhyzx; 03-01-2009 at 06:04 PM.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:34 PM
If I understand these, the Thule won't work

Old 03-01-2009, 06:46 PM

Quick Reply: Hitch receiver for 2009