General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Other Than "Little Old Ladies" Who Would Buy A Slushbox?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 04:35 PM
Other Than "Little Old Ladies" Who Would Buy A Slushbox?

Hell even my wife who never even drove stick until 3 years ago and bit*hed all the while realized it's 10 times more fun to drive. I let her pick the car and SHE picked the 5 speed. The only REALLY COOL thing about the fit IMHO is that it is practical and yet handles like a sports car so why get a slushbox? BTW: Those paddle shifters get old REAL FAST. Had them on an M3 once, used them about a week. After that car I promised to never again own a slushbox. Not to mention poorer gas mileage, more maintenance, pricier, and not as reliable. I just don't get it unless your hitting 75 years old!!

Old 09-11-2008, 04:56 PM
you realize that you dont have to use the paddle shifters right? We already have a S mode whore... and thats tyler

Old 09-11-2008, 05:02 PM
wtf is s mode? i dont know this automatic lingo haha

Old 09-11-2008, 05:06 PM
5 Year Member
Question

Mmmmm slushie. All my cars for the past decade or so have been AT's. No reason, my last MT car was my sisters BMW which I got for cheap. (then sold cause parts weren't cheap) Guess I am just lazy, or working on being 75. No harm, no foul, my cars, my money.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:07 PM
When you live in with family it's usually best to have a car that everyone can drive in case of emergencies. Also when it comes to certain cars they also are more attractive when it comes to selling it. The dealer I went to would not order me a Tidewater Blue Fit w/stick because they say if I back out nobody would buy it.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:10 PM
5 Year Member
S mode is right below D on the shifter. gears 1-2 are regular, but it wont shift of of 3rd gear until you hit about 80 mph, so you get more power (tach remains in the power band). or, while in s mode, you can shift with the paddles, at which point the engine will not override the gear you want - to a degree. it still won't let you shift into 2nd while doing 60, but that's a good thing. it won't override you if you redline it, tho, so there's still an element of manual transmission.

and slavetothehonda, the AT actually gets better mileage on the highway than the MT, and it's actually pretty close to what the MT gets in the city. the paddles DON'T get old, i use them every day and love it. don't bash other people's cars when you haven't driven them. Just because you owned an M3 doesn't mean you know what the paddles are like in the Fit.

Also a word of advice to you slavetothehonda: this is not the place to ridicule people who own a fit.

EDIT: i'm still trying to figure out the point of this thread. did you start it just to piss people off?

Last edited by Burbio; 09-11-2008 at 05:12 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by SlavetotheHonda
Not to mention poorer gas mileage, more maintenance, pricier, and not as reliable. I just don't get it unless your hitting 75 years old!!
same gas mileage (on the Fit) if you don't drive like an idiot.

pricier at first, more resale value in the future.

reliability... c'mon. i've NEVER had one issue with the 6-7 slushies i've owned, yet have replaced many a clutch and flywheel etc. b.s.

reason number1: traffic.

you're really just trying to pick a fight.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CTmatt
same gas mileage (on the Fit) if you don't drive like an idiot.

pricier at first, more resale value in the future.

reliability... c'mon. i've NEVER had one issue with the 6-7 slushies i've owned, yet have replaced many a clutch and flywheel etc. b.s.

reason number1: traffic.

agreed 100%. +rep for you

Old 09-11-2008, 05:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CTmatt

that or he had the jumbo espresso...no biggie...just sounded like he was having a blast with his 5-speed. more power to him. (he'll reach 75 years old one day too )

i've been called worse things in my life time than a 75 year old lady, and unless you are the guy who signs my paycheck and pays my bills, i don't really care what you call me, as it doesnt bother me.

btw good call moegenki. i like to travel a lot so its nice to know my friends and family can move my cars in case of an emergency when i am not around.

Last edited by FITrunner; 09-11-2008 at 05:49 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:52 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
I can tell an 09 person started this....
Theres a lot of reasons why people get automatics. Handicaps, ease of driving, lazy, cant drive 5speed, more comfortable, couldnt find 5speed, and the list goes on.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:54 PM
Just A Former NJ guy Who Is Far From Tactful But

Unless you are always stuck in traffic or have a wife who refuses to drive stick then IMHO you lose all the fun of the car. I have owned ALOT of cars and I have yet to own one with a slushbox that is fun. I also don't want the added maintenance, cost and higher repair costs asociated with an automatic. Thread is not meant to piss off anyone, simply one persons opinion and experience with automatic transmissions and cars that are fun to drive. It defeats the purpose of fun for me, if others can enjoy a slushbox then God bless them.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:55 PM
Luvs Dah b00st!
infact im gona sell my 5 speed for an auto tomorrow cuz i is lazy. enough with this clutch shift thing

Old 09-11-2008, 05:56 PM
5 Year Member
When you're sitting in traffic for 2 hours every single weekend..you kinda are thankful to the "slushbox." No fun in having your toes go numb after stop and go traffic. This is the big reason I ended up getting an AT..and when I feel the need for a bit of "fun" I'll just trade cars with my brother or the bf for a good week or so..best of both worlds :]

Old 09-11-2008, 05:58 PM
all good

it's your ride my friend.

but i really disagree with you about the added maintenance and repair costs.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:59 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Ive only had one auto... And it was for 3 weeks.
All the rest of my cars have been 5speed.

And also, the fastest cars in the 1/4mile are always automatic.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:59 PM
5 Year Member
[quote=I Am Ray.;423607]I can tell an 09 person started this....
quote]

LOLL x]

Old 09-11-2008, 06:20 PM
Originally Posted by I Am Ray.
Ive only had one auto... And it was for 3 weeks.
All the rest of my cars have been 5speed.

And also, the fastest cars in the 1/4mile are always automatic.
Hope your talking only about fits here.

I didn't get an auto because I enjoy driving plain and simple, I want complete control. And this hasn't been brought up but exhausts sound like $hit on autos and everyone will laugh at you (or at least I will) if you drive an auto with an exhaust. The 1.8-2.2k drone is terrible.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:31 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
No, Im not talking about Fits only. I prefer manual transmission, but I dont hate on people that have auto.
(a lot. )

Old 09-11-2008, 06:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SlavetotheHonda
Hell even my wife who never even drove stick until 3 years ago and bit*hed all the while realized it's 10 times more fun to drive. I let her pick the car and SHE picked the 5 speed. The only REALLY COOL thing about the fit IMHO is that it is practical and yet handles like a sports car so why get a slushbox? BTW: Those paddle shifters get old REAL FAST. Had them on an M3 once, used them about a week. After that car I promised to never again own a slushbox. Not to mention poorer gas mileage, more maintenance, pricier, and not as reliable. I just don't get it unless your hitting 75 years old!!

just wanted to pretend to be Michael Schumacher, never having owned an AT. But then yeah, I'm pushing 75.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Konad
I didn't get an auto because I enjoy driving plain and simple,
True statement. I used to actually enjoy commuting. I would look forward at the end of the day actually "driving" my car home (always had a manual back then). Unfortunately what many here say is true. There is no fun in commuting. Only short segments where I even get to get up to speed. Crawling along at 10-15 mph in a manual becomes a chore.

If I had a time machine, I would buy a new manual fit and send it back to myself in the 80's.

Quick Reply: Other Than "Little Old Ladies" Who Would Buy A Slushbox?