General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Other Than "Little Old Ladies" Who Would Buy A Slushbox?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 06:40 PM
5 Year Member
Hard to hold that 32oz coffee mug in the morning and shift at the same time. That's not fun!

Old 09-11-2008, 06:42 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
haha S-mode

PUT IT IN S!

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 09-11-2008 at 06:49 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:19 PM
5 Year Member
Sold my 5-Speed Civic for an Auto Fit. Now I get to hold my girlfriend's hand while I drive. I also get to eat cheeseburgers while I drive too, since holding a phone is illegal.

AT Fit + Paddle shifters FTW!

Old 09-11-2008, 07:43 PM
I agree with many of you who talked about the "family" nature of this car. If I were the only person to drive my '09 Sport Fit, I'd opt for the manual. I enjoyed driving my CRX and Civic this way in the past. I'm not 75, but I am 55, and it's just bs to call an automatic transmission a slushbox. My wife, son, and daughter were part of the equation when it came to making the decision about this car. BFD that you get to shift with a puny engine: who cares? I've replaced clutches in the past and actually do anticipate having some fun with those paddle shifters. The original post was way out of line....

Old 09-11-2008, 08:04 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
hey do jetski's have manual transmissions? or is it like those AT
scooters but in a hydro form?

Old 09-11-2008, 10:13 PM
If you want a "fun" vehicle, get a motorcycle.

For me, the cage is for utility, and rainy days.

BTW, my 09 AT Sport, TW comes in, in 2 weeks.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Konad
Hope your talking only about fits here.

I didn't get an auto because I enjoy driving plain and simple, I want complete control. And this hasn't been brought up but exhausts sound like $hit on autos and everyone will laugh at you (or at least I will) if you drive an auto with an exhaust. The 1.8-2.2k drone is terrible.

i read this and then i looked at your sig. hilarious.

take your own advice pal.

my wife has no desire to learn stick,and i applaud her for being honest and not trying be interested in something that she is not.

me? the only reason i would have invested in a m/t fit is if they had the color i wanted (nope), wasn't the only car we owned at the time, and the fact that it allows for more mods.

as far as a/t sounding like crap with exhausts, that neglible. there are A LOT of cars that sound like ass that are manuals all the way.

as far as the OP is concerned, having bmw's smg transmission would make you hate autos, as its pretty much deemed as a not so great transmission. (dsg however, is amazing.) and i can see the costs being neck-breaking on it. on a fit and most of the other a/t equipped cars out there, its not an issue.

i think its something like 80% of all drivers drive automatics? i promise you i'm not an old lady either.

besides, the most fun aspect of the fit is the HANDLING, not the acceleration. i have plenty of control over my car too. this thing was never meant to be truly fast, just swift. but the best aspects of it need not be only exclusive to the m/t. (but i will say that it is a very nice m/t, in typical honda fashion.)

Last edited by eldaino; 09-11-2008 at 10:44 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:02 PM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by zRollerskate
you realize that you dont have to use the paddle shifters right? We already have a S mode whore... and thats tyler
Hahah Thanks Brian!

This thread is just plain silly. Seems very troll like

Cool for you and your choice of 5MT. Im happy your happy.
Have you ever heard of traffic? Stop and Go trafiic that is. It sucks with a stick, the Bay Area, and most of cali has horrible traffic. Thats one reason.
There are countless other reasons that im not going to even waste my time to go into.

Personally I LOVE driving MT cars, i get to drive my Teg which is 5mt and i enjoy the heck out of it. Then i get in my DD, the Fit and i enjoy the Sport mode and the paddles just as much.
When your talking about a economy car, AT - MT, whats does it matter. Your still going to go slow, your still going to get good MPG, your still going to be driving a Economy car

On a side note, if it wasnt for S mode i would have me a MT Fit by now.

Last edited by TOOL; 09-11-2008 at 11:08 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:25 PM
Originally Posted by eldaino
i read this and then i looked at your sig. hilarious.

take your own advice pal.

my wife has no desire to learn stick,and i applaud her for being honest and not trying be interested in something that she is not.

me? the only reason i would have invested in a m/t fit is if they had the color i wanted (nope), wasn't the only car we owned at the time, and the fact that it allows for more mods.

as far as a/t sounding like crap with exhausts, that neglible. there are A LOT of cars that sound like ass that are manuals all the way.

as far as the OP is concerned, having bmw's smg transmission would make you hate autos, as its pretty much deemed as a not so great transmission. (dsg however, is amazing.) and i can see the costs being neck-breaking on it. on a fit and most of the other a/t equipped cars out there, its not an issue.

i think its something like 80% of all drivers drive automatics? i promise you i'm not an old lady either.

besides, the most fun aspect of the fit is the HANDLING, not the acceleration. i have plenty of control over my car too. this thing was never meant to be truly fast, just swift. but the best aspects of it need not be only exclusive to the m/t. (but i will say that it is a very nice m/t, in typical honda fashion.)
My opinion that automatics with loud exhaust sound bad does not mean I have a closed mind. Please make sure you fully understand what being closed minded means before you start pointing fingers and making accusations.

close-minded (a variant of closed-minded)

"Intolerant of the beliefs and opinions of others; stubbornly unreceptive to new ideas."

Old 09-11-2008, 11:37 PM
Master FitFaker. CHEA!
don't feed the troll

Old 09-12-2008, 08:24 AM
I Love The Way People Are Branded A Troll When:

They simply give an opinion that is not one that people like. It is my personal opinion and one may not necessarilly agree but to brand one a "Troll" is simply childish. Am I tactless? Certainly. Am I a troll? Give me a break. I stand by my statement that slushboxes take away from the enjoyment of the car but I certainly can understand that there are circumstances where one might "require" one. Would one buy a 911 or a Mclaren with an automatic? I truly doubt it, it simply makes no sense whatsoever. The PRIMARY reason I really enjoy this car is the fact that it is economical, very versatile yet really FEELS like a little sports car. I would lose that feel completely with an automatic transmission.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:13 AM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by SlavetotheHonda
They simply give an opinion that is not one that people like. It is my personal opinion and one may not necessarilly agree but to brand one a "Troll" is simply childish. Am I tactless? Certainly. Am I a troll? Give me a break. I stand by my statement that slushboxes take away from the enjoyment of the car but I certainly can understand that there are circumstances where one might "require" one. Would one buy a 911 or a Mclaren with an automatic? I truly doubt it, it simply makes no sense whatsoever. The PRIMARY reason I really enjoy this car is the fact that it is economical, very versatile yet really FEELS like a little sports car. I would lose that feel completely with an automatic transmission.
Its the way you titled this thread, worded your posts, ect.
Come off a little less childish and people wont call you a troll

Anyway, did you know that the fastest super cars of today have Paddle shifters!?! Yes.. a dual clutch tranmission aswell, but its a completly computer controlled clutch. Driver has no control over clutch besides diffrent settings such as launch control, and "quik shift mode". But really all the driver does is pull a paddle, much like a AT Fit driver would.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:18 PM
I usually go strong for the comfort level...

Hell even my wife who never even drove stick until 3 years ago and bit*hed all the while realized it's 10 times more fun to drive. I let her pick the car and SHE picked the 5 speed. The only REALLY COOL thing about the fit IMHO is that it is practical and yet handles like a sports car so why get a slushbox? BTW: Those paddle shifters get old REAL FAST. Had them on an M3 once, used them about a week. After that car I promised to never again own a slushbox. Not to mention poorer gas mileage, more maintenance, pricier, and not as reliable. I just don't get it unless your hitting 75 years old!!
My history with car ownership has consisted of more autos than manuals. I would have bought a "slushbox" with the Fit - but I didn't like the way it performed. I don't feel its a good match with the 08 Fit. Too much gear searching for my taste - especially on the freeway. I also couldn't find a very comfortable driving position either.

I was really surprised how much I like the manual Fit. Even the driving position felt much better! Maybe that had to do with pedal placement?
Anyway, the manual drove like a little champ and the Fit felt more powerful to me as well. I think the manual "Fits" the personality of the car as well. Mmmmm....my second middle age crisis perhaps?

Old 09-12-2008, 09:53 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
when im out motoring at night especially with just the wife (my kids
at grandma's) i dont mind the AT. my legacy has a sport-shift mode but
i just keep it in AT and cruise around town/expressways.

so nice to just relax and enjoy the night.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:21 PM
5 Year Member
Wifey has no interest in driving a stick, good for her..she gets what she wants and I'll drive my S2000 when I want to row the gears.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:10 PM
Personally I don't know why anybody would buy an AT. But I'm not you and you're not me so I can see why there is a disagreement

Old 09-13-2008, 03:05 AM
Hell even my wife who never even drove stick until 3 years ago and bit*hed all the while realized it's 10 times more fun to drive. I let her pick the car and SHE picked the 5 speed. The only REALLY COOL thing about the fit IMHO is that it is practical and yet handles like a sports car so why get a slushbox? BTW: Those paddle shifters get old REAL FAST. Had them on an M3 once, used them about a week. After that car I promised to never again own a slushbox. Not to mention poorer gas mileage, more maintenance, pricier, and not as reliable. I just don't get it unless your hitting 75 years old!!
I'm not "hitting 75", but I had to give up my manual transmission because my leg can't push the clutch in anymore due to multiple sclerosis.

Believe me, I'd much rather have my 5 speed back. Mileage was better, more fun to drive, etc. But at least I still have a Honda, and the AT drives like a go-kart!

n-jo
2008 VBP Sport

Old 09-14-2008, 08:21 PM
5 Year Member
Who would own an AT? Someone who can't FIND a MT Fit anywhere...

There are 4 dealerships within 50 miles of the house. One didn't have any Fits (they did call when they got one in... two months later). Of the four Fits we did look at, only one was MT. It was a used 38,000 mile '07 MT Sport that REEKED of weed (at the dealership, mind you). They wanted 17K (+tax, etc) for it, and I got my '08 base for 16450 OTD.

Fuel economy argument: In so-called 'normal' driving (IE: driving like an ass) with the AT, I get 38mpg. Slow and steady, the best tank to date was 49.5mpg. I'm averaging 44/45 mpg.

I would have much preferred the MT, but I needed a car quickly and really didn't want to go with the Yaris. At 7800 miles, I'm satisfied with it.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:47 PM
Can someone explain why most Fit owners seem to be getting 5-10 more MPG than the gov't estimates on this car? The discrepancy between what people say versus data compiled on Fuel Economy is huge. I guess when I pick up my Fit next week, I'll learn whether or not my slushbox exceeds gov't standards....

Old 09-14-2008, 08:48 PM
The op seems to enjoy starting threads which involve bragging, or making inflammatory remarks about other peoples choices in Fit options.

Why is that?

Quick Reply: Other Than "Little Old Ladies" Who Would Buy A Slushbox?