General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

my first car purchase

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 01:43 PM
Smile my first car purchase

Okay, I put down my $500.00 deposit in July, to try out the 08 Fit Sport. I live in Northern Maine where dealers are hundreds of miles apart, so there is no compitition between dealers. The '08 silver sport Fit never became available, so now my deposit is on an '09. I'm a senior citizen, widow and never bought a car before. I've been driving a '95 Jeep grand cherokee, purchased used, by my late husband. I like the fact that I have good visability (I'm only 5'2"). The jeep has almost 250,000 miles on it and I'm getting nervous, although the guy who does my garage work says it still has life to it.
I've researched online and like the reports on the Fit Sport. I plan to keep this car for a long time. I'm kind of dismayed at the reported steep price increase on the '09, it's about at the top of my budget. I need solid advise on what things to have included, if I can get the silver '09 Fit Sport. I have a portable GPS so don't plan to add that onto the cost of the new car. What to add from the dealer, what to buy from elsewhere? Will I like the Fit in winter snow? Do I have the car coated by the dealership and if not, where would I look to have it done? Any tips will be gratefully appreciated!

Old 09-04-2008, 02:10 PM
5 Year Member
Hello and welcome ma'am. I don't see many senior citizens on the forums so it's pretty cool that you've found us

As far as dealer options, it's best not to buy ANY when purchasing a new car. Options are overpriced from the dealer. There are many sites online where you can find OEM accessories for a fair price. For example, floor mats, cargo covers, trunk mat, etc. can all be purchased elsewhere (http://handaaccessories.com/fit09.html). If you're good at negotiating try to get the dealer to throw those in for free at no additional cost!

As far as snow performance, I can't really say I've had experience with since I live in California. It might not handle as well as your Jeep did (if your Jeep was 4-wheel drive) but the Fit is definitely a safe car.

Finally, Congrats!!! When are you expected to get the car? Take some pictures of it when you do!

Old 09-04-2008, 04:22 PM
It's a matter of preference, but you might want to give up the sport model for the base to save some cash. That way you can buy the stuff you want separate from the dealership since they tend to be pricey.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:23 PM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Hi there, and welcome! We are all Fit enthusiasts, so pardon us if we are biased toward this car!

Have you ever driven the Fit? I would not buy a car I had not seen and test-driven. That is just one issue.

Having lived in northern Maine, to be honest, I don't think I would give up 4wheel drive and a heavier car with vehicle stability assist. The Fit is a small, relatively light car which would give you great gas mileage on the open road, but it also sits fairly low and you need a certain amount of clearance for the snow pack on the road.

When I lived up there, we had a very small Honda Civic hatchback (this was in the early 80's) and it was fine when the roads were very clear. But it was small and I did worry when the snows came. We sold it when we moved back to Colorado. We of course had to have an engine heater in the winter, for those -70F temperatures.

I don't mean to sound negative about this car - but your conditions are extreme. I would try to test-drive a heavier car or SUV with vehicle stability assistance, which will help you in case of ice on the road.

(for the other forum members - we're talking 4 feet of snow in ONE snowstorm here. You have to get your yard snow-plowed in the winter, and the piles reach heights of 15-20 feet or more. Believe me, this lady needs a heavy car with VSA.)

Last edited by Juliane; 09-04-2008 at 07:27 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 09-04-2008, 07:34 PM
5 Year Member
P.S. I was even farther north, up in Caribou, so your snow amounts may be slightly less...but still....I'd get the heavier car with stability assist.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:01 PM
I did get to test drive the '08 Sport in July, but I really wanted the silver and they only had a blue one left on the lot. I liked the way the car handled and when I heard about the changes coming along in the '09 Fit, I decided to wait. The dealer thought the new models might come in the end of Aug. but silver was not on their manifest and he would have to try for a dealer to dealer swap, so I said just put me down for a silver when you get one. If I change my mind, I get the $500.00 back.
Having had many different colored cars in my life, I think that silver stays looking cleaner in the winter and I don't have a garage to keep my car inside at this time. I chose the Sport because I am very partial to having cruise control. When you have to drive 60 miles to get to a mall, you find that cruise control is a great feature!
We do get piles of snow at times, but even with last year's worst storms, I didn't need to use the 4 wheel drive on my jeep. You make a good point though about the clearance and the weight of a Fit. It's so difficult to know what to do, this is such a major step for me to take. I am amazed when I read some of the posts on here where guys swap cars from year to year. I have to look at this as a long term commitment. I've been saving up $$ for a long time to buy a car. I won't have to make payments (yahoo!!)
I did ask the dealer about winter driving and he said that he would recommend getting studded tires or at least some good snow tires, but he didn't think that I'd have a problem. The towns keep the roads quite well plowed and sanded in our area.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:22 PM
5 Year Member
Does anyone else in your area drive a smaller, lighter car, like a Toyota Matrix or a Yaris? Even a Honda Civic...although it's larger than a Fit. That might give you an idea about the capability of different sizes of cars.

It's great that you have driven a Fit! It's hard to beat the price and what you get for your money. I drove quite a few cars before buying my '08, and I can tell you that none of them compared to the Fit in response, driving control, and interior finish, even a Toyota Rav4 that cost about $25,000! Shocking that even imported cars are looking and feeling "cheaper" all the time. Honda is holding the line well on that point, I feel. I didn't drive a Civic but lots of people here have, and for people who like a little larger car with some extras, Civic or Accord are good options. I'm done with Toyota - I'm not paying $25,000 for a car with cheap, hard plastic on the interior, that gets 19 mpg in the city!

I know just what you mean about making the decision. We paid cash for ours too, and we also keep our cars until they die. So I didn't decide on a whim...but it's funny that once you drive a Fit, they sort of get into your blood, at least they did that with me. They are just plain fun to drive!

I do remember that the plows would be out before the snow even stopped falling, which is good. And if you don't have to get out on the worst days, like people who have to get up and drive to work, then you can hopefully stay away from the worst conditions.

Maybe there are some Maine forum members who can chime in? I'm sure there are at least a few who can vouch for the conditions and give you tips about equipping your car for the winter.

Does your temp get down to -70F in the winter? We had to wear mukluks and parkas just to go outside at all. But the downhill tubing was great!!

Old 09-04-2008, 11:51 PM
I've been looking around and I see many smaller cars popping up in my area of Maine. Funny, I never paid attention to cars before, now I'm able to identify quite a few! I did talk with an older couple in town who own a Chevy Aveo. They had no problems in snow last year. I have not test driven any other new cars. I did test drive a used Jeep Liberty earlier this spring but didn't like it. I'm concerned with buying a used vehicle because I might be stuck with some one else's problems. My late husband was excellent at fixing up old cars and making them run well long past their expected life. That's why he always bought our cars, he could spot a lemon a mile away.
We have had some -40 wind chill temps. over the past few years, but none as low as -70, thank goodness! Winter up here just stays around so long. I just feel drawn to the Fit, can't explain it really. I've only seen one in Bangor. It was parked in the SAM'S club parking lot. I waited around for a while, hoping that the owner would come along, I really wanted to talk to her/him, but finally I had to head home.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:10 AM
older but adapting

Originally Posted by Super Mario
Hello and welcome ma'am. I don't see many senior citizens on the forums so it's pretty cool that you've found us.
I second that it's nice to see older people checking out the purchase choices online. I'm 47 so there are other older people here. The fit does quite well on snow and ice and you might be pleasantly surprised at how quickly the little engine heats up. Most of the people I see driving fits in Kansas City are in their 60s. It's nice that older people see gas prices and are willing to adapt with the times. Your Honda might well be with you for 20 years if you take care of it. For accessories you might check out college hills Honda 2007-2009 Honda Fit Accessories : Genuine Honda Accessories at Discount Prices
for good prices. Feel free to ask questions and I'm sure the fitfreaks would love to help you. It's what this place is for!

Old 09-05-2008, 08:32 AM
5 Year Member
Well, it sure sounds as though the Fit bug has bitten you! I know just what you mean about being drawn to this car! Once I test-drove it, I kept trying to argue myself out of liking it so much, but thankfully, I was unsuccessful!

Go for it! If it's the car you really want, you will be very happy with it. It's still an economical car that is well-made, and your best color happens to be the first one off the trucks! I do hope you don't have to pay extra because you're in an area with few Fits. If that's the case, try telling them you will drive down to Bangor to get the car for a better price.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:42 AM
Hi mimi, and welcome!

I live in North Carolina and haven't driven my Fit much in snow, as we haven't had much the last two years. I have driven it in ice, flooding rains, a hurricane and other extreme conditions. I can tell you that I have felt as safe (or safer!) in this car as any others that I have owned.

I have also owned 2 Civics and drove quite a bit in snow. To me, Hondas seem to do very well in the snow because of
  • Front-wheel drive
  • Nimble responsive steering
  • lightness of the car
I was almost killed in a multi-car highway accident a few years ago and it was during a blinding snow/ice storm, so safety is a big thing to me now. (I was in a rear-drive Toyota Tacoma)

You mentioned trying to stay within your budget -- I would recommend buying your car either through the internet (the dealer's website or go to the Honda website itself) and request a quote.

They will give you the price in writing and you won't go through all the b.s. Another suggestion is to use your Costco/Sam's Club membership.
Even if it's MSRP, it will ensure that you won't have to go through their usual shenanigans.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:33 PM
I do hope you don't have to pay extra because you're in an area with few Fits. If that's the case, try telling them you will drive down to Bangor to get the car for a better price.[/quote]

I actually do have to drive the 60 miles to Bangor because that is where the nearest Honda dealer is located. The next nearest dealer is in Augusta, a 2 1/2 hour drive from my house. The only new car dealers in my area are Ford, Chevy and Chrysler/Plymouth and also several used car dealers. Having owned a Honda years ago, I'm sold on their duribility and comfort. I'm pretty sure that I'll settle on the Fit Sport.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:45 PM
Originally Posted by jrlnc
Hi mimi, and welcome!

I live in North Carolina and haven't driven my Fit much in snow, as we haven't had much the last two years. I have driven it in ice, flooding rains, a hurricane and other extreme conditions. I can tell you that I have felt as safe (or safer!) in this car as any others that I have owned.

I have also owned 2 Civics and drove quite a bit in snow. To me, Hondas seem to do very well in the snow because of
  • Front-wheel drive
  • Nimble responsive steering
  • lightness of the car
I was almost killed in a multi-car highway accident a few years ago and it was during a blinding snow/ice storm, so safety is a big thing to me now. (I was in a rear-drive Toyota Tacoma)

You mentioned trying to stay within your budget -- I would recommend buying your car either through the internet (the dealer's website or go to the Honda website itself) and request a quote.

They will give you the price in writing and you won't go through all the b.s. Another suggestion is to use your Costco/Sam's Club membership.
Even if it's MSRP, it will ensure that you won't have to go through their usual shenanigans.
JRLNC said
"They will give you the price in writing and you won't go through all the b.s. Another suggestion is to use your Costco/Sam's Club membership.
Even if it's MSRP, it will ensure that you won't have to go through their usual shenanigans."
Interesting idea, I didn't know that I could use my Sam's Club membership to get a car deal? How does that work? Also, since I already have a sales person at the Bangor dealership that I have given my $500.00 deposit just to get on the new car list, can I still get a written price quote from that dealership online? Should I try for a written quote from the other dealership that is 2 1/2 hours drive from here, even though I really don't think that I want to have to drive that far to purchase/service my new Fit? I don't know how to play this "car buying game" so I really appreciate any advice that will help me through "the maze" and save me money too.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:02 PM
I'm a Costco member, so bear in mind Sam's might be a little different.

Actually you can do it through the Costco website. Put in the year, make, and model and package (Sport or base, Manual or Automatic). Select the color, additional options etc. Then you furnish your membership information. They will refer you to the local dealer.

For Costco prices, they will usually send you through the dealer's fleet manager or sales manager.

Again, Sam's club may work a little differently. If I were you, I'd go into my Sam's Club to their membership/service desk and just ask "How do I use the member's Auto Buying Program?"

I think it might be the most hassle-free way to buy a Fit without paying for all the markups that a lot of other people would.

I hope that helps.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:14 PM
get quote!

Originally Posted by jrlnc
I would recommend buying your car either through the internet (the dealer's website or go to the Honda website itself) and request a quote.

Getting an online quote is good starting point at least. Plug in your zip code and choose the closest dealers. I'll be the first to admit that this works the best if you've got 5 or 6 dealers nearby but at least it's a starting point. DEFINITELY don't walk in to the dealership and count on the goodness of mankind. They might actually be good people just don't count on it. You should know about what this should cost before you walk through the door. My OTD price was arranged by phone after some initial e-mails in twenty minutes. Good luck and take your time!

Old 09-07-2008, 04:32 PM
5 Year Member
I can't wait to see photos when you get it!! Good luck and let us know how it goes with the dealer. Yes, I'd go ahead and get an email quote. I called several dealers AND sent emails so yeah, the sales guys were competing for me at the same dealer. Ha. If you get a good price then just take that with you to Bangor and tell them you need them to match it. I hope they are nice and not jerks. I have one dealership near me that seemed to be stuck in the 70's or something - they played that stupid game of not writing figures down, not including specifics in the quote, etc.