General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

mystery brake fluid contaminant

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 01:32 PM
mystery brake fluid contaminant

Hi

I have a 2008 Honda fit sports Manual with 9000 miles on it. I never had any problems with it until I took it for its oil change. After that, when I was pulling out of the park and at low speed, I was hearing a chirping noise under the front wheels. At high speeds (75 mph and up), I couldn't hear that noise b/c of the wind, but the car was shaking like a helicopter. I took it back to the same guys the second time. Got a service analyst who gave me a nonsense diagnostics about wheels being too small, me driving too fast and some garbage being stuck in the wheels. I drove the car for one more month with the shaking getting progressively worse (happening at lower speeds). Finally when I took it to them for the third time, they told me that there is a mystery "petroleum based fluid" mixed with the brake fluid, and as the result my entire brake system has failed and everything needs to be replaced. They also told me that the reason for the contamination is that someone wants to mess with me big time and has poured this mystery fluid into my brake fluid at most 48 hours before I took it to them. I didn't buy the story and got into the fight with the service manager. Insurance did buy the story. They came and did an assessment, and sent me a check for $4000. Car was out of commission for a month since none of the brand new parts were available on the market for replacement.

Meanwhile I called up American Honda. Initially, they stuck with the dealership diagnostics and sent me a letter saying so. However, two weeks into this mess, I got a call from the dealership telling me that the American Honda has had "a change of heart" and they will pay for everything, which they did, down to the rental car. But the mechanic I talked to, didn't have any clue why. Neither did the service manager. He did tell me that the engineer who gave the initial diagnostics was an idiot and the problem was not due to contamination. But he didn't know what it was due to. According to him, neither did American Honda. But they wanted to take a closer look at the brake system, so the dealership sent everything back to them. Everything and I mean everything on the brake system has been replaced:

Master cylinder
both front brake discs
both front brake calipers
all four of the rubber brake hoses
both rear wheel cylinders
both sets of rear brake shoes and drums
last but not the least ABS modulator

The worst part is, no one seems to know what is wrong but everyone is quick to reassure me the problem won't come back. So my question: do you guys have any idea what could be the problem apart from the obvious that the guys poured wrong fluid down the brake fluid container? Has anyone had this misfortune?