General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Changing wiper blades

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 09:21 PM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
Changing wiper blades

I just changed the wiper blades, but I ended up getting rid of the default thick rubber arms. The replacment blades, which come with a metal arm, seems bound to the wiping part.

Do people usually keep the thick rubber wiper arm? or do you replace the entire arm? Eyeballing how everything's held on, I think I figured out how to get the wipers out but it might take a lot of force.

The replacment blades are the rain-X ones. This is concern not just cosmetic, but I notice my blades are slower (there seems to bee too much pressure onto the glass) and the passenger side blade, despite bieng the correct side, actually overlaps into the fenders.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:28 PM
5 Year Member
The OEM Honda ones are rather crap, I had them on my 8thgen too and wasn't happy. Usually you can just get new blades instead of having to replace the entire thing but Honda doesn't sell them for the Fit. I reversed the passenger mirror to help keep it from squeeking but it came back a couple months ago. I've since replaced both wipers with the Amco full rubber blades. They look similar to the Honda ones be so far out perform them greatly.

The metal blades usually tend to wear a bit faster and sweep a little choppy compared to the OEM ones and the Amco ones I have because the pressure isn't as even across the entire blade. But I'd imagine they perform the same or better than the OEM ones for a cheaper price.

Old 09-10-2008, 03:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Arisenfury
The OEM Honda ones are rather crap, I had them on my 8thgen too and wasn't happy. Usually you can just get new blades instead of having to replace the entire thing but Honda doesn't sell them for the Fit.
Huh? Maybe I've missed some change with newer models, but I've replaced the inserts on my 2007 Sport several times. Just this morning, I picked up a new set of fronts and two backs (the rear blade wears faster) from the dealer. I think the fronts were ~$6 each, and the back is ~$7. Replacing them takes all of 30 seconds:
1) Rip out old inserts - if they are stuck, use pocket knife to pry them out
2) Take old metal reinforcing bars and put them in new inserts
3) Slide the new insert into the blade holder (there is a marking to tell you which end goes in first)

Old 09-10-2008, 03:43 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i got new inserts for my 08's thick blade... i think they are the same
size as the metal ones on the 07's that chattered and later TSB'ed.