General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

EEK ..... I just saw my Fit with its front end off

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 07:57 AM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
EEK ..... I just saw my Fit with its front end off

Well, my car went to Honda yesterday for the bumper repair and it is suppose to be ready this afternoon. Coming into work today with a friend kind enough to give me a ride, I spotted the car sitting beside the body shop garage. We were going slow because the traffic was backed up but there it was minus the front bumper with some type of white covering over the front. Ouch! That hurt to see! Made my stomach turn! Can't wait to get the car back this afternoon and be Fitless no more. I know this is dumb but I had to share

Cat

Old 08-19-2008, 09:25 AM
5 Year Member
Sorry you had to go through that shocking experience...a Fit without its clothing on! I hope you get your car back today and can't even tell there was a problem.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:36 AM
5 Year Member
I feel for you. I'm currently saving up the $500 for my deductible. Someone backed into me in a my aparment's parking lot the night before I went out of town for two months. ARGH! I don't want to rent a car while it's in the shop, and my old car needs some seal/gasket work and a new master cylinder before being driveable. How did your bumper get messed up and what damage was done to it? Mine has a crunch (which are now showing two small rust spots) on the liftgate and the bumper was knocked away a few centemeters (pushed the clips back in so that's hard to see) and the bumper is missing some paint and gashed.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:16 AM
5 Year Member
LOL Just wait until you need some engine work done that requires it being removed. My NSX is in the shop for its major service and tune up. I drove by last week to check on things. Its an od feeling seeing the car up on the lift, hollow, with the engine sitting a few feet away on a stand.

Old 08-19-2008, 01:37 PM
5 Year Member
I know the feeling.
I had to take off the front bumper to be able to take off the grill and mount the new Mugen style grill. The car looks realy strange without that bumper. But it was interesting to see the bits and parts underneath it.
I just forgot to take picture of the front bumper and the car without the front bumper.

But I had to take off the rear bumper to be able to reach the screws that held the rear lights. Well could probably done it without taking off the bumper but it was easyer working when the bumper was off. And now I remember to take som pictures:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/f0nix/2685451781/

Old 08-19-2008, 03:12 PM
5 Year Member
Cat, Dahling,
I have been away from here a little bit lately. What happened to your car's bumper? I apologize for being a little lost.
And also, did you have the sissy horn replaced while the bumper was off?

Old 08-19-2008, 03:17 PM
5 Year Member
I took mine off when I put fogs on my base Fit. It looked very 'road warrior'-ish with the front cover off. Since I'm an engineer by education, I like the industrial look so it didn't bother me.

Plus, I like to work on my cars when I have time so rolling up my sleeves and getting my hands greasy and cut up (beyond what I normally get at KFC) is fun!! My hands are still funny colors from the body work I did on my 1993 Saab this past weekend. Rust repair is on the bottom of my list of favorite car repairs though.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:03 PM
Cat
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steeldog
Cat, Dahling,
I have been away from here a little bit lately. What happened to your car's bumper? I apologize for being a little lost.
And also, did you have the sissy horn replaced while the bumper was off?

Steeledog - nice to hear from you! Hope things are going well on your end. Nothing accidental happened to my car - thankfully! I had a paint peeling issue on the front bumper which Honda said was fully covered under warranty. I was Fitless for 2 days but got it back this afternoon and they did a great job. It was hard to see it sitting there with no bumper - gez - nice to know I am not the only one who is bothered by that sight! As for the sissy horn - no it is still there! probably sounded worst without the front bumper on! LOL! The cost for the sanding, painting and application of clear coat was over $320.00 so I am glad that I did not have to pay for the repair and since they had to do the entire bumper they took care of the rock chip that happened a few weeks ago when I decided to drive on the interstate - big mistake! I am getting it ready for an import show in September so I am thinking of doing a cold air intake, new rims will come in the spring plus new tires and I may do a few little things like front strut bar before all is said and done - whew

Cat

Old 08-19-2008, 07:18 PM
Cat
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rob22315
I took mine off when I put fogs on my base Fit. It looked very 'road warrior'-ish with the front cover off. Since I'm an engineer by education, I like the industrial look so it didn't bother me.

Plus, I like to work on my cars when I have time so rolling up my sleeves and getting my hands greasy and cut up (beyond what I normally get at KFC) is fun!! My hands are still funny colors from the body work I did on my 1993 Saab this past weekend. Rust repair is on the bottom of my list of favorite car repairs though.

Yes, there is nothing finger lickin good about rust! My old boss restored a 1951 Jag that was rat bait in an old barn. He would come in everyday with rusty colored fingers and he was a plastic surgeon! He could never quite get them completely stain free from working on taking years of rust off car parts. He has a beautiful car to show for all the work and wrenching he did himself.

Cat