General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Tell me if I'm crazy to buy this Fit!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 04:11 PM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Question Tell me if I'm crazy to buy this Fit!

First, I cannot find but a few Sport ATs anywhere near my area. Definitely not in VBP or my first choice, BBP.

A week ago I found a BBP AT Sport listed in St. Louis. It's slightly used, some story about someone bought it for another person who didn't like it so they brought it back. About 1100 miles on the odometer.

Now, for price. They will give me a final price of $17,914. That is shipped and put in my driveway (shipping costs $725). I have to pay TT&L when it gets here, which I figure will still be another $1,000 or so (We have 6% tax on cars).

I know it sounds high, but other than getting a NHBP in Slidell LA, that's about my only option. Should I negotiate further? The sales guy knows I want that car. Of course I have never seen it, never driven it, take his word that it's pristine.

Opinions? I'm getting to the point where I will take a black Fit, not that it's not a nice color, just seems too serious for the Fit to me. But pretty soon, I won't even have that option.

I'm torn! Help!

Edit: He just told me there is no further play in the price, take it or leave it. If I buy one anywhere else it will be around 18K out the door, with their dealer fee or whatever, so the only thing I am really losing is the first 1,000 miles. Stupid to buy?

Last edited by Juliane; 08-18-2008 at 04:34 PM.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:42 PM
5 Year Member
I would not buy it. IMO

Those types of cars might have been in a accident, so that is the reason they are on the lot.

Old 08-18-2008, 04:47 PM
yeah man i wouldnt buy it you also dont know how the previous owner was on breaking in the motor. i would rather spend the extra 1k and get a brand new one in my opinion. gl on whatever you choose to do though

Old 08-18-2008, 04:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Juliane
First, I cannot find but a few Sport ATs anywhere near my area. Definitely not in VBP or my first choice, BBP.

A week ago I found a BBP AT Sport listed in St. Louis. It's slightly used, some story about someone bought it for another person who didn't like it so they brought it back. About 1100 miles on the odometer.

Now, for price. They will give me a final price of $17,914. That is shipped and put in my driveway (shipping costs $725). I have to pay TT&L when it gets here, which I figure will still be another $1,000 or so (We have 6% tax on cars).

I know it sounds high, but other than getting a NHBP in Slidell LA, that's about my only option. Should I negotiate further? The sales guy knows I want that car. Of course I have never seen it, never driven it, take his word that it's pristine.

Opinions? I'm getting to the point where I will take a black Fit, not that it's not a nice color, just seems too serious for the Fit to me. But pretty soon, I won't even have that option.

I'm torn! Help!
Buying a vehicle sight unseen is extremely risky. However, there are some options/requirements:
1. Call the local Honda dealer and get them to verify condition, especially if they know the car because they sold it..
2. Put a reserve on the vehicle, say $1000, not to be paid until the Fit arrives and you have the opportunity to inspect firsthand.
3. Have a signed sales contract including the condition of the Fit, serial number, mileage, history, etc contingent on verification by inspection by competent and independent Honda mechanics.
4. Verification of clear title. Thats a BIG concern. Be careful assuming someone else's loan. There's a lot of undercover stuff there.
4. I presume you have photos and vehicle history.
5. Just who is selling? dealer? individual?
And last it isn't that far to St Louis from Slidell; any thought of going there to see the Fit in person? Besides the above, thats the best course to take. And of course $17.9K is a bit high but if its your color ...
That may be why it isn't sold there.
Good luck
PS whenever you go look at it take a spare sales contract with you in case mods are needed.

Old 08-18-2008, 04:50 PM
5 Year Member
I agree. I think you should always see and test drive the car before you buy it. I know deals aren't easy to come by these days, but if I HAD to HAVE a Fit I would shell out the extra $1000 to buy a new one and have the ease of knowing that I'm the first owner.

Old 08-18-2008, 04:53 PM
the 2009 will be out in like a month, i would just wait for that... AND you're paying way above MSRP.. your getting bent over basically

Old 08-18-2008, 05:49 PM
5 Year Member
Sorry I should have told you it's at a dealer called Bommarito Honda in St. Louis.

Here it is:

Bommarito West County Specials

I can't just zip up there and drive it.

And I don't like the new Fits, AND, I have to have a car within 2 weeks.

Last edited by Juliane; 08-18-2008 at 05:51 PM.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:55 PM
The price shipped to your driveway sounds reasonable...with those low kms.

I would do a CarFax...check it's history to be sure that it has a clean one.

If it has a clean report...I would definetly take a look since its exactly what you're looking for. Perhaps take a trip up to see it.

Last edited by prelude_guy97; 08-18-2008 at 06:00 PM.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:00 PM
I know of one here that was on the dealer lot because the lady that bought it was short and decided she didnt like the visibility out of it so she brought it back in and got something else. there was nothing wrong with the car it just didnt work for her. as for break in of the engine you still have all the warranty.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mahout
Buying a vehicle sight unseen is extremely risky. However, there are some options/requirements:
1. Call the local Honda dealer and get them to verify condition, especially if they know the car because they sold it..
2. Put a reserve on the vehicle, say $1000, not to be paid until the Fit arrives and you have the opportunity to inspect firsthand.
3. Have a signed sales contract including the condition of the Fit, serial number, mileage, history, etc contingent on verification by inspection by competent and independent Honda mechanics.
4. Verification of clear title. Thats a BIG concern. Be careful assuming someone else's loan. There's a lot of undercover stuff there.
4. I presume you have photos and vehicle history.
5. Just who is selling? dealer? individual?
And last it isn't that far to St Louis from Slidell; any thought of going there to see the Fit in person? Besides the above, thats the best course to take. And of course $17.9K is a bit high but if its your color ...
That may be why it isn't sold there.
Good luck
PS whenever you go look at it take a spare sales contract with you in case mods are needed.
This is a car dealer, not Honda specifically, but I guess the owner traded it in because it had been bought for someone else who didn't like it. I am not going to finance the car - it'll be straight cash paid to the dealer. I would pay for shipping the car from anywhere else in the US, which means no car I am going to find will be at MSRP. I can't fly up to St. Louis and drive it back...Well, when I finished it would have even more miles on it and I'd have lost 48 hours of my time.

I'll still have to pay TX tax no matter where I get the car, so that will be $1100 on top of the $17,900. But still, cheaper than a Matrix! And, I will be able to see out of the windows of the Fit!

I'm in Houston, not Slidell, sorry for the confusion. There is a nighthawk black pearl sport AT in Slidell, but black is low on my list of color choices. I'm starting to get desperate, though.

I'm wondering if hubby ought to call this guy tomorrow and try to dicker him down just a little more. I mean I know they have to make their markup, and the shipping is $800, but maybe they could throw in some wheel locks and window tinting or something...

I thought you guys would say "go for it!" I'm a little surprised...

See my sig? I don't want to be Fitless Forever!!

Old 08-18-2008, 06:13 PM
5 Year Member
i know another fellow fit freaker who has a carfax account, he should be able to help you out. pm me for info.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:15 PM
If you're doing a cash deal, you should have no trouble getting them to drop the price.

Last edited by prelude_guy97; 08-18-2008 at 06:22 PM.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:20 PM
Hell, I paid 15.7 K for mine brand new with warranty and only 8 miles on it. The price this guy is asking seems high to me.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:21 PM
You are crazy to buy that Fit.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by prelude_guy97
The price shipped to your driveway sounds reasonable...with those low kms.

I would do a CarFax...check it's history to be sure that it has a clean one.

If it has a clean report...I would definetly take a look since its exactly what you're looking for. Perhaps take a trip up to see it.

Here's a link to its clean CarFax report:

CARFAX Vehicle History Report on JHMGD38658S025620

It's only been owned 1 month...1,000 miles in one month! Wow...but whatever.

I just don't think I can take the time to go see it, honestly. I know it's unconventional to buy a car w/o seeing it but my family can't spare me for that long, and if I was flying up there, I'd probably just save the money and drive it back. But then, I would have more miles on the car by the time I got back - another 800 + or -. So it's more convenient this time to just have it shipped.

Yeah it's exactly what I want.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ken1
Hell, I paid 15.7 K for mine brand new with warranty and only 8 miles on it. The price this guy is asking seems high to me.

I Know Dude but I can't FIND any more!!!! Wah! Yours must not be a Sport, either.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:36 PM
It IS a Fit Sport with all the Sport options on it. MT 5 Speed.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fit_to_be_tied
I know of one here that was on the dealer lot because the lady that bought it was short and decided she didnt like the visibility out of it so she brought it back in and got something else. there was nothing wrong with the car it just didnt work for her. as for break in of the engine you still have all the warranty.
Yeah, supposedly the lady who bought this one got it for someone else, maybe her kid, and he or she didn't like it so they traded it in. Their loss, my gain. I'm sure the dealer screwed them for the trade-in so it's not like they NEED my money, but maybe I can get him to throw in wheel locks and window tint. what do you think?

I am not worried about the warranty it is still good for the whole package.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:38 PM
1,000 miles in a month seems reasonable, I'm driving 1,200 + a month

Old 08-18-2008, 06:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ken1
It IS a Fit Sport with all the Sport options on it. MT 5 Speed.
OK, well, the ATs are at 16,740 MSRP but the whole problem is that believe it or not, there just aren't very many left in ALL of Texas!! And none that I can find closer than Slidell LA and that is in black, which I don't want.

All the dealers I called today said they would add a couple hundred to the price, making it close to 17K, plus then I'd have to have it shipped from BF, Egypt which costs $800-$1000. So I'd end up at about the same cost, it's just that I have 1,000 miles on the odo from St. Louis.

No wrecks in just one month.

Quick Reply: Tell me if I'm crazy to buy this Fit!