General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Tell me if I'm crazy to buy this Fit!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 10:23 AM
Originally Posted by Juliane
Yeah, it's more that I can't see and drive the car before it gets here, and who owns it on the way in case something happens to it, and am I getting stiffed on the price, etc. Yes I am a worrywart! But I've never bought a car long-distance and sight unseen. It seems insane. What happens if it shows up here and there's a giant scratch down the side? The dealer says "It's not my problem any more" and the shipper says "I have no idea how that happened." What do you do?

I think I'm backing out again, I'll lose $100 but there are just too many complications involved and it's robbing me of any joy with getting the color I want. It'd be one thing if it were in LA or AR, I could go up there and get the car back inside of one day, but 2 states away and 1.5 minimum is just too much.

Southwest Honda in Amarillo with their 6 Fits on their site, including VBP, isn't an option?

I would not buy the used one you're interested in, but that's just me, I don't buy used cars, but if you are desperate for a BBP...you have to do what's right for you. I'd stress myself sick over a car with already 1000 miles on it, and sight unseen as well. Plus...it just wouldn't be "new" to me, no matter how much detailing had been done.

Good luck. My aces in the hole were Southwest Honda in Amarillo, and Howdy Honda in Austin, and Freeman Honda in Dallas or Ft Worth. I wonder if there's one sitting on a lot in a tiny Texas town that dealers can't be bothered to get.

I'm starting to feel really impressed that the dealer we hated so much actually did one good thing, they managed to swap with Southwest Honda in Amarillo and get the VBP we wanted, even if it did take them 2 days to detail it (they waited on prepping it until we showed up to get it.)

Actually, that's wrong, they waited until I threw a hissy FIT before they started prepping it. We walked in, deal done but for my signature, and though they had time to blow up 7000 balloons for their 4th July sale, they hadn't bothered to prep a car that had been sold to us out-of-towners and was sitting on the back lot with plastic stuck to it.

The salesman's "Oh, come back Monday or just don't buy it" sent me straight into the Sales Mgr's office to tell both of those snots at the computers that they by God better roll up their sleeves and prep the car that was supposed to have been ready, and by the way, slash that pre-negotiated price. Suddenly, it got very busy in there, our salesman disappeared, and we left in a sparkling car, with sweaty sales mgrs in our rearview mirror.

Sorry, that was a bit of a thread hijack, but the point was that Amarillo had 4 Fits then on their site and now are showing 6, including a VBP Sport, which though it was at first my 2nd choice, quickly became my 1st once I saw how dusty a BBP gets here in windy West Tx...

I love the purply ones, but this blue one doesn't show the dust the other one does. And it's VISIBLE -- lots of lookies at the VBP here in FordTruck-ville.

I'm still looking for you, Juliane!

nancy

Old 08-19-2008, 10:42 AM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
OK, I just told the St. Louis dealer farewell!

The sales guy was so good to put in all this time with me, but I had to tell him over the phone just now that I am still spooked about buying totally sight unseen. It might work for some people but not for me, not with the price it's going to cost me to get the car down here. He can sell the car there and they can probably make more money on it.

I felt stupid but I'd feel worse if we went through with the deal and I felt like a sucker for buying the car. I know that once I got it, it'd be fine but in the meantime I'd be stressed and freaked out.

I'm going to look at a VBP here in town that's got 6400 miles on it but one owner has had it for almost a year, AND it's under MSRP! 16,200 to be exact, and I might even be able to get him down a couple hundred lower if I give him cash on the spot.

I don't care if the car is brand-new, although ideally it would be great if it were. Thanks for all your support, guys. I'll get there eventually. I'm a tightwad, I want everyone to be happy, and I am also picky about what I like in cars. And, cars are cheaply finished these days, so even ones that you pay more for, don't look nice from the git-go. That makes me unhappy about the whole deal. Add those 4 factors together and you have one PITA customer! That's me!

Old 08-19-2008, 11:00 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TexFit
Southwest Honda in Amarillo with their 6 Fits on their site, including VBP, isn't an option?

I would not buy the used one you're interested in, but that's just me, I don't buy used cars, but if you are desperate for a BBP...you have to do what's right for you. I'd stress myself sick over a car with already 1000 miles on it, and sight unseen as well. Plus...it just wouldn't be "new" to me, no matter how much detailing had been done.

Good luck. My aces in the hole were Southwest Honda in Amarillo, and Howdy Honda in Austin, and Freeman Honda in Dallas or Ft Worth. I wonder if there's one sitting on a lot in a tiny Texas town that dealers can't be bothered to get.

I'm starting to feel really impressed that the dealer we hated so much actually did one good thing, they managed to swap with Southwest Honda in Amarillo and get the VBP we wanted, even if it did take them 2 days to detail it (they waited on prepping it until we showed up to get it.)

Actually, that's wrong, they waited until I threw a hissy FIT before they started prepping it. We walked in, deal done but for my signature, and though they had time to blow up 7000 balloons for their 4th July sale, they hadn't bothered to prep a car that had been sold to us out-of-towners and was sitting on the back lot with plastic stuck to it.

The salesman's "Oh, come back Monday or just don't buy it" sent me straight into the Sales Mgr's office to tell both of those snots at the computers that they by God better roll up their sleeves and prep the car that was supposed to have been ready, and by the way, slash that pre-negotiated price. Suddenly, it got very busy in there, our salesman disappeared, and we left in a sparkling car, with sweaty sales mgrs in our rearview mirror.

Sorry, that was a bit of a thread hijack, but the point was that Amarillo had 4 Fits then on their site and now are showing 6, including a VBP Sport, which though it was at first my 2nd choice, quickly became my 1st once I saw how dusty a BBP gets here in windy West Tx...

I love the purply ones, but this blue one doesn't show the dust the other one does. And it's VISIBLE -- lots of lookies at the VBP here in FordTruck-ville.

I'm still looking for you, Juliane!

nancy
Just called Southwest - they won't ship the car down here, too far, and I can't blame them. Price is 17,684 with protection package, mats, wheel locks, and a pinstripe. If I wanted that car I'd have to go and get it.

Howdy has no Fits showing on their inventory list. Freeman has one VBP but it's a base MT.

There is a dealer in Houston that has an '08 VBP Sport AT, but it's also used, and priced over MSRP new. The private owner will be a good deal if I can hand him cash.

Still looking and thanks for the help!!!

Old 08-19-2008, 11:41 AM
5 Year Member
Just called Southwest - they won't ship the car down here, too far, and I can't blame them. Price is 17,684 with protection package, mats, wheel locks, and a pinstripe. If I wanted that car I'd have to go and get it.
That sounds like the best deal so far. Wouldn't it be worth a plane ticket and 1 day drive?

Old 08-19-2008, 11:58 AM
Hey Julienne,

Did you contact Hennessey Honda in Georgia? I bought my 2008 Fit Sport MT from them last week and they had a few AT on the lot as well. Not sure about your preferred color though. I know they had Storm Silver and Blue Onyx and maybe Milano Red.

Anyway, worth a shot...Ask for David Steele and tell him Damon Rider referred you. I had a very good experience with him and the dealership - good people. Their number is 770-924-9000. Their website is hennesseyhonda.com and their inventory shows 33 Fits!

Let me know if it works out for you.

Good luck!

Damon

Old 08-19-2008, 03:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by somdamon
Hey Julienne,

Did you contact Hennessey Honda in Georgia? I bought my 2008 Fit Sport MT from them last week and they had a few AT on the lot as well. Not sure about your preferred color though. I know they had Storm Silver and Blue Onyx and maybe Milano Red.

Anyway, worth a shot...Ask for David Steele and tell him Damon Rider referred you. I had a very good experience with him and the dealership - good people. Their number is 770-924-9000. Their website is hennesseyhonda.com and their inventory shows 33 Fits!

Let me know if it works out for you.

Good luck!

Damon
Wow! They do list 33 Fits! And I just talked to a sales guy in MS and there are NONE in the entire state! I guess I know where all of them are!

Yeah, they do have a Sport AT in VBP. None in BBP, of course. The VBP would cost around $17,335, at least that's what they are selling the SSMs for. I'd still have to transport it, though, 834 miles from me. That's gonna cost me. I know my local dealer won't trade with the dealer in Amarillo, let alone GA!

Well, for the folks in GA - this is the place to go! They have at least one in every color, including BOM. They have 21 Sports!! Ridiculous.

Old 08-19-2008, 04:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cranky18
That sounds like the best deal so far. Wouldn't it be worth a plane ticket and 1 day drive?
If I could fly up to Amarillo, I would have gone up to St. Louis! I mean, I could get the BBP one in St. Louis for 17K...but now I told the sales guy I was all done. He was polite but a little exasperated...I don't blame him. To their credit, they didn't even insist on keeping my $100 deposit. If I ever live in St. Louis and need a car, I'd go there for sure!

I just can't go farther than 4-5 hours. I could do Dallas/Ft. Worth, S/A, Austin, maybe even New Orleans. But GA and Amarillo are right out.

Old 08-19-2008, 04:24 PM
5 Year Member
Do you have a friend or relative that would go get it for you? Heck even a fellow Fitfreaker that lives local.

Old 08-19-2008, 04:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rod2Rice
Do you have a friend or relative that would go get it for you? Heck even a fellow Fitfreaker that lives local.
All my friends/family work or go to school. And I don't know any of the local folks on Fitfreak! Although I'm sure they are nice people...well...until the sun goes down, that is...jk.

Old 08-19-2008, 05:02 PM
5 Year Member
All my friends/family work or go to school. And I don't know any of the local folks on Fitfreak! Although I'm sure they are nice people...well...until the sun goes down, that is...jk.
I'm in Alabama, and will go to Georgia, get the car and keep it, and even drive it all over the place, heck, maybe even race it a bit for you, until you can get over here to pick it up!

I'm just sayin.

Last edited by Steeldog; 08-19-2008 at 05:04 PM.
Old 08-19-2008, 05:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steeldog
I'm in Alabama, and will go to Georgia, get the car and keep it, and even drive it all over the place, heck, maybe even race it a bit for you, until you can get over here to pick it up!

I'm just sayin.

Yeah right. You're funny.

Old 08-19-2008, 05:18 PM
Honestly i know you said that GA was 2 far for you but if i where you i would go out there and get it. Your going 2 get one brand new and in the color you want it. When i was looking 2 buy mine i went every where looking for a VBP and my second choice was a BOM so when i went to the final dealer they didnt have it in stock but they recieved it within 3 days so i went, signed all the paper work and bought it. Plus, since your buying cash im sure the dealer in GA can work something out on getting the car all the way to you, as in not charging you a lot for shipping. Good luck and i hope you can find an 08.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:35 PM
5 Year Member
I lost out on the 6,000 mile used VBP

Someone got there before me and bought it. I am really sick of this. I guess I am just not going to get a Fit no matter what. Thanks for everything guys, I need to get off here and figure out what to do now.

There is NO car I like. None. I need a car because my teenager has taken mine. I liked the Fit, but they are now gone. How F-ed up is that. I am a careful person and wanted to be sure I liked this car before I bought one, but by the time I thought, test-drove, etc. they were all disappearing. It's supposed to be fun to buy a new car, not frustrating. I have never been so frustrated in my life, over something that is supposed to make me happy.

I can't even buy a freaking USED Fit, for heaven's sake!

Old 08-19-2008, 09:39 PM
the 2009's will be here very soon, and have more in them too from what I hear.

Old 08-21-2008, 06:08 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

I called the St. Louis dealership this morning and found that the car is still on the lot. So I put $500 down on it and I will go and pick it up next week. Why did I chicken out before??? Well, I thought I could get one here and not have to pay for transporting it. But there are NO new Fits here in Houston except for a couple of SSMs, maybe, which is my dead last color choice (no offense to you guys who like that color). Every time I thought I had one nailed, I'd call and it would have "just sold!" When I didn't get the 2nd-hand VBP one, I threw a conniption and just threw up my hands, but I was really really depressed. I've never owned a brand-new car and I wanted the Fit to be my first.

So this is almost a new car, good enough, and yeah, I'm still paying more than a new one, but I'm also getting a Sport in the exact color I want, so I am happy. Really happy. And, I actually found some really great sales guys in several states, in particular Mitchell Leggett at Barker Honda in MS, who said he would paint a Vivid Blue Pearl racing stripe on his SSM Sport if I wanted to buy it! We had some laughs over the course of a few days. He couldn't find me a car but if he had I would have loved buying it from him. He was funny and a gentleman, and I love a MS accent!

Not super thrilled to have to drive it 800 miles but I don't trust shipping companies. Besides, I want to drive the darn thing!!!

Thanks for all of your help, guys. I nearly went insane when I couldn't cry to you guys and then celebrate when I decided to get the car.

(Buys everyone on FitFreak their favorite virtual beverage...)

Juliane, who recently looked like this but now looks like

Last edited by Juliane; 08-21-2008 at 06:12 PM.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:30 PM
Well, its a good little car and I hope you are very happy with, I love mine !!

Old 08-21-2008, 11:16 PM
5 Year Member
Congrats! Make sure you take lots of pics, maybe hit a few landmarks on the drive home if there is anything cool.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rod2Rice
Congrats! Make sure you take lots of pics, maybe hit a few landmarks on the drive home if there is anything cool.
I might take my 17-yo son along for driving help. The only landmark we would hit is the Will Rogers Tollway in OK! I-44 all the way down to OK City and then straight south through Dallas down to H-Town. I'd like to do it in one day if son is along. If I go alone, I would probably stay somewhere after 9 or 10 hours of driving. If ONLY Texas weren't so HUGE!!

We will have to try hard to stay out of such landmarks as Sonic, but I think we can miss most of the tourist traps named Conoco and Shell! Hee hee!

Old 08-22-2008, 01:19 AM
I called the St. Louis dealership this morning and found that the car is still on the lot. So I put $500 down on it and I will go and pick it up next week. *snip* I've never owned a brand-new car and I wanted the Fit to be my first.

Thanks for all of your help, guys. I nearly went insane when I couldn't cry to you guys and then celebrate when I decided to get the car.

(Buys everyone on FitFreak their favorite virtual beverage...)

Juliane, who recently looked like this but now looks like
well, this is exciting!!! I saw another post by you about something else and noticed your sig had changed. I had to backtrack and find out what you had done. I'm excited and happy for you that you got exactly what you wanted. It'll still be like new, and you'll have a blast driving it back to Texas.

Congratulations, I'm tossing back a virtual shot of tequila at the news. I was panicking for you, and for me, a little bit. This would have been my story, had I not suddenly decided to sell my 97 Civic in late June and start the hunt for a Fit. I never dreamed it would be as hard to find as it was. I LOVE mine, you'll love yours, and I envy you a little bit on the BBP, it was my first choice really but it's just too dusty around here in West Tx.

Like you, we almost had to settle for a Black one or a Silver one (no offense to anyone, but our last 3 cars have been silver, and black is the same as dark purple -- the dust here blankets it in half a day) So I'm thrilled with our VBP and very excited to see that you got your Blackberry Baby.

Enjoy, and getcha camera ready, I want photos!

PS, our VBP that was retrieved from Amarillo had pinstriping on it when it arrived at our Midland dealer. It was just off the boat, had only been in Amarillo a day when we bought it July 1 and had it retreived. (Born in May 2008)

The sales manager at our Midland dealer ran out in 102 degrees and carefully peeled it off for me before I had to throw a tantrum. (Yay for Tim Stark!)
It had only been on for 4 days and with that hot sun all that week, it was an easy peel off. Whew! Pinstriping on this vehicle didn't work for me, though I had a bit on my white 93 Civic.

You gonna name her?

Happy for you!

nancy in San Angelo

Old 08-22-2008, 08:47 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TexFit
well, this is exciting!!! I saw another post by you about something else and noticed your sig had changed. I had to backtrack and find out what you had done. I'm excited and happy for you that you got exactly what you wanted. It'll still be like new, and you'll have a blast driving it back to Texas.

Congratulations, I'm tossing back a virtual shot of tequila at the news. I was panicking for you, and for me, a little bit. This would have been my story, had I not suddenly decided to sell my 97 Civic in late June and start the hunt for a Fit. I never dreamed it would be as hard to find as it was. I LOVE mine, you'll love yours, and I envy you a little bit on the BBP, it was my first choice really but it's just too dusty around here in West Tx.

Like you, we almost had to settle for a Black one or a Silver one (no offense to anyone, but our last 3 cars have been silver, and black is the same as dark purple -- the dust here blankets it in half a day) So I'm thrilled with our VBP and very excited to see that you got your Blackberry Baby.

Enjoy, and getcha camera ready, I want photos!

PS, our VBP that was retrieved from Amarillo had pinstriping on it when it arrived at our Midland dealer. It was just off the boat, had only been in Amarillo a day when we bought it July 1 and had it retreived. (Born in May 2008)

The sales manager at our Midland dealer ran out in 102 degrees and carefully peeled it off for me before I had to throw a tantrum. (Yay for Tim Stark!)
It had only been on for 4 days and with that hot sun all that week, it was an easy peel off. Whew! Pinstriping on this vehicle didn't work for me, though I had a bit on my white 93 Civic.

You gonna name her?

Happy for you!

nancy in San Angelo
Yeah, pinstriping on this car... yuk. But it was funny to joke with Mitchell in Brookhaven MS about painting a VBP stripe down the middle of his SSM Sport! I also learned something about salvage car lots...Found 3 listings on the net in Cottondale AL, that sounded too good to be true. 934 miles on a black Sport AT - for 13,900!! A VBP Sport with 6,000 miles for 14,900! WTH?? Well, I called before I called St. Louis and the very nice lady told me that they buy cars at auction and fix them, then re-sell them. The funny thing was that I got a CarFax report on the blue one and it was clean! But she told me what they'd replaced and it was a LOT! She said that people have told her flat-out that the car she had bought at auction had NOT been wrecked because the CarFax report said it hadn't! She told me never to take CarFax reports as gospel. So that was good info.

Even then, both of those cars, having been wrecked, had already been resold. I was definitely not in the market for a wrecked car! Although it did make me a bit nervous that so many Fits were coming onto auction lots with so few miles on them...I guess insurance companies just total them out?? I may call her back and ask her a few more questions about that.

Thanks for the help and support all along. I know the BBP will show dust more, and I'd nearly changed my mind back to VBP, but I couldn't find any of those either. I missed one right here in Houston b/c we couldn't get over there in time, and at that point I thought the chase was over. I'd even gone to what I thought was the correct website for Bommarito and didn't see the Fit, so I thought "Well that one is gone, too." I really threw a conniption then. Walked the dog for about 45 minutes with tears running down my cheeks! How mature is that???!!!

Funny you should mention the name thing...I told hubby last night I'm going to have to resist naming it. I am planning to get personal plates, though! He doesn't know that yet.

Glad YOU got your first color choice, too! I know there will be tons more Fits on the road in a month or less, but it won't bother me 'cause I love mine more!

Quick Reply: Tell me if I'm crazy to buy this Fit!