General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Tell me if I'm crazy to buy this Fit!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 06:42 PM
That sucks, Im glad I got mine when I did, the dealer had 12 of them on the lot and I jumped on it. I was going to get an Accord but I decided I like the Fit Better. Best of luck to you in this. I hear its becoming quite a popular car and getting hard to get. What about waiting for the 2009 Models to get here ?

Old 08-18-2008, 06:50 PM
What about an 2009 Model ?? Supposedly Japan is shipping 80,000 over to the states due in October of 09 which is about 2 1/2 months away.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:06 PM
Wow. Are Fit's still hard to find these days?

I bought my Sport when they first came out in the USA. It was pretty difficult to find then. And it cost me $100 less than MSRP.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:09 PM
it seems they are taking off in this country, and I hear Japan is having a hard time keeping up with demand, and that there is a 9 month waiting list for them ?

Old 08-18-2008, 07:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ken1
Hell, I paid 15.7 K for mine brand new with warranty and only 8 miles on it. The price this guy is asking seems high to me.
i second that, i paid $15,900... mt sport brand new with free locking lugs, oil changes, inspections and extended warranty no extra charge. that price is pretty steep and you should always look the car over a very long time before buying a car. not to mention to drive it and listen for anything of concern. you can't do that in what... 30 minutes with it in the driveway and the dealer distracting you.

if you look up the book value of these cars it is actually more than the sticker price. the used car dealers are going to keep making the argument that the car is worth that much.

its unbelievable how much harder it is to find the 08 fit now. i looked the other week and can't find a dealer that really has one with in like 200 miles. they sell with in two days of arriving at the dealership so they never even list them. when i bought my car the same hour or so i was there 3 other fits were sold.

i found that when i was seriously looking that you can not just look at the dealer's inventory online. i don't know if that is what you meant by saying you couldn't find one. you have to find all of the honda dealers within a radius you are willing to drive to pick it up and call them to know they have the car on the lot. that same that just drive out there and buy it. also keep in mind that right now you have virtually no choice of picking a color. just kinda have to hope to get lucky. then i bet the dealer would still make you pay msrp unless you play some seriously hard ball

in short yeah you're crazy for considering that car. i don't know, that's just a lot more than what i paid for the car brand new. good luck in what ever you decide, if it really seems like this is your only chance of getting a fit. if you do that get one i would suggest that you have the dealer take off their decal of dealer branding on the back hatch. i hate that crap it is so tacky.

Last edited by Fat Ping Cat; 08-18-2008 at 07:35 PM.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:39 PM
I agree Fat Ping Cat, this dealer seems like he is trying to capitalize on over pricing the car. That disturbs me a great deal, typical car dealer crook. Be weary of this dealer.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:54 PM
Bommarito isn't a bad dealer... a coworker of mine has dealth with them with success. They don't sell Honda, so that might make a difference.

They are probably marking this up, b/c I got mine for $17,2XX before tax (exactly the same car), especially since this one has over 1k miles. But if it's certified, who knows if the price would be dropped at all with that many miles.

Seems like you could get something closer (even if it is NHBP), but if it's what you want.... then don't let others tell you whats right for you. But if you are worried you're making a mistake, you might be.

I think the part that turns me off of the price of that one is the delivery charge. You could always fly up to STL and drive it back for cheaper than that.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:13 PM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by misfit83
Bommarito isn't a bad dealer... a coworker of mine has dealth with them with success. They don't sell Honda, so that might make a difference.

They are probably marking this up, b/c I got mine for $17,2XX before tax (exactly the same car), especially since this one has over 1k miles. But if it's certified, who knows if the price would be dropped at all with that many miles.

Seems like you could get something closer (even if it is NHBP), but if it's what you want.... then don't let others tell you whats right for you. But if you are worried you're making a mistake, you might be.

I think the part that turns me off of the price of that one is the delivery charge. You could always fly up to STL and drive it back for cheaper than that.
Yes, I know they screwed the person who traded it in, no doubt covering their mark-up a couple times over. I don't think it is certified, but the warranty still applies, obviously.

I wish I could find something closer, but I absolutely called all over the place today and could not find even a VBP Sport AT in the state or in LA, or MS, AL, GA, or FL. I even went to my 3rd color choice, black, and couldn't find one closer than Slidell LA. I am serious - the supply in Texas is really, REALLY drying up.

Yes, I could fly up there. It would cost me $150 or so on Southwest. Then I'd have to look at the car, make the deal, and drive it home, adding another 800 miles onto the car and taking 1.5 days to get back. Is it worth that? Unless I find a Sport AT within my general area, Houston, Austin, San Antonio, Dallas, I will still either have to go and get it or pay shipping charges. I don't think they are ripping me off for shipping.

Maybe I should just take it on the chin and buy the freaking Matrix. I don't have to turn myself inside out for that - there are many of them all over Houston. It's not a better car but hell's bells...I don't need this kind of crap in my life.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:18 PM
is waiting 2 1/2 more months feasable, when the 2009 comes out in October ?

Old 08-18-2008, 09:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ken1
is waiting 2 1/2 more months feasable, when the 2009 comes out in October ?
I don't like the styling change in the '09. That would make everything easier, for sure.

And, I need the car now, because my 17-year-old has taken over my Camry to take himself and his brother to school.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:57 PM
5 Year Member
Exclamation

OK, Here are the numbers.

17,000 for the car

725 for shipping (I have to see the shipping contract - I hope he's not going to hire a cheapo company so they can net more)

198 document fee (yes, this is a rip-off but whatever)

17, 914 total delivered to the door

I gave him $100 deposit and the contract will be faxed tomorrow. We can still reject it but...probably we'll do it.

Guys, it really doesn't sound that bad. I know all of you got yours for less than or equal to the MSRP, but I just can't find one in blue or blackberry with auto and sport package! If you can find me one here in Texas, I'll give you $100 finder's fee!

Last edited by Juliane; 08-18-2008 at 10:11 PM.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:32 PM
5 Year Member
I think if it were me I would go for the brand new black one. Nothing like have a car thats never been driven by anyone else. Just a though too, will being a 2nd owner bring down a trade in value if you ever end up doing that? The fact that dealer wont budge on price leaves a bit to be desired as well.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:02 AM
I'd pass -- too much $ for a used car. Start calling all the dealers in your region, then expand until you can find a brand new one. If it's far, why not just fly in and drive it home? With the internet & email, you can locate & contact dealers anywhere.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:03 AM
just get it and be happy and stop worrying

Old 08-19-2008, 03:26 AM
Originally Posted by Fit_to_be_tied
just get it and be happy and stop worrying
Amen. If you don't like the 09 and you need a car inside two weeks, it doesn't seem like it's a bad deal. Just spend two hours looking it over and a test drive before you sign anything. See if you can pay a mechanic $50 or so to be there with you, I'm sure that a competent mechanic would be able to spot anything fishy. Also do some hardcore research on the dealer selling it. I've been able to dig up some dirt that was quite unsettling on dealers, inspiring me to go elsewhere.

I live in Southern California, where you can find anything you want anywhere. Texas I'm sure can be different, so if it Fits (no pun intended) you needs, then take the dive and do it. Most people are skeptics, which is good, but don't let us sway you're mind. And please! 1000 miles is nothing on a Honda, that's half the reason most of us are here. You're the one that's going to be there when it shows up on your drive way!

Old 08-19-2008, 03:50 AM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by ProMed
You are crazy to buy that Fit.
x2 don`t do it that price is way to high

Old 08-19-2008, 04:58 AM
Thumbs up

you got PM regarding a 2008 VBP Sport AT in Houston TX

Old 08-19-2008, 09:48 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Metal Fit
Amen. If you don't like the 09 and you need a car inside two weeks, it doesn't seem like it's a bad deal. Just spend two hours looking it over and a test drive before you sign anything. See if you can pay a mechanic $50 or so to be there with you, I'm sure that a competent mechanic would be able to spot anything fishy. Also do some hardcore research on the dealer selling it. I've been able to dig up some dirt that was quite unsettling on dealers, inspiring me to go elsewhere.

I live in Southern California, where you can find anything you want anywhere. Texas I'm sure can be different, so if it Fits (no pun intended) you needs, then take the dive and do it. Most people are skeptics, which is good, but don't let us sway you're mind. And please! 1000 miles is nothing on a Honda, that's half the reason most of us are here. You're the one that's going to be there when it shows up on your drive way!
Yeah, it's more that I can't see and drive the car before it gets here, and who owns it on the way in case something happens to it, and am I getting stiffed on the price, etc. Yes I am a worrywart! But I've never bought a car long-distance and sight unseen. It seems insane. What happens if it shows up here and there's a giant scratch down the side? The dealer says "It's not my problem any more" and the shipper says "I have no idea how that happened." What do you do?

I think I'm backing out again, I'll lose $100 but there are just too many complications involved and it's robbing me of any joy with getting the color I want. It'd be one thing if it were in LA or AR, I could go up there and get the car back inside of one day, but 2 states away and 1.5 minimum is just too much.

I am either going to get a car here or get the car my husband really wants me to buy, which is a Rav4. He is paying the bills either way, but I want him to be happy too. The gas is a factor, but not the only factor. I just can't justify the lack of good visibility in the Matrix. Maybe b/c I sometimes feel claustrophobic, but those scrunched windows and large pillars just drive me crazy!

Whatever happens, I know I will always have the FitFreak trophy of The Most Over-Thought Decision on Buying!

Old 08-19-2008, 10:07 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JDM_DOHC_SiR
x2 don`t do it that price is way to high
I made the classic mistake of letting the dealer know I want that particular color, and now he knows he has me over a barrel..."What's it going to take to get you into this car today...yada yada yada..."

It's not just the extra $$$, it's also the fact that I would be buying it absolutely sight unseen - I don't even know anyone up in St. Louis who could see and drive it for me. Then the transportation cost is high, and the weirdness of having a car I've already paid for in possession of an unknown driver for a lot of miles between the dealer and me.

The whole thing just spooks me. I want to be happy with the car I buy, not so worried and preoccupied.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:16 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Juliane
I made the classic mistake of letting the dealer know I want that particular color, and now he knows he has me over a barrel..."What's it going to take to get you into this car today...yada yada yada..."

It's not just the extra $$$, it's also the fact that I would be buying it absolutely sight unseen - I don't even know anyone up in St. Louis who could see and drive it for me. Then the transportation cost is high, and the weirdness of having a car I've already paid for in possession of an unknown driver for a lot of miles between the dealer and me.

The whole thing just spooks me. I want to be happy with the car I buy, not so worried and preoccupied.
If you have so many questions and mixed feelings about it, to me its not worth the worry. Buying a car is always stressful, but it seems this has caused even more for you. Hey if you get the black one you could always repaint it lol!

Quick Reply: Tell me if I'm crazy to buy this Fit!