General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

2008: 2000 Miles: Why Waste My Money?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 05:25 AM
2008: 2000 Miles: Why Waste My Money?

I bought the car as an "econobox" basic transportation since I rack huge miles. Well needless to say, the car was so fun for a "low budget trash car" that I am going to sell it in February or so and trade into a 2009.
Here is my issue: I installed a Fuboto (no big deal simply take it out) but I dumped my oil yesterday and just can't bring myself to using Dino. I am figuring that God forbid I lose my job or something at least I know I ran synthetic all the way.
BTW: My first oil change was a nightmare. Usually I rarely spill a drop buy the damn filter punctured. Looks to me Like I am going with Purolator Pure One filters from now on! At least they are rock solid and rated as one of the highest quality filters on the market.

Old 08-15-2008, 06:23 AM
Originally Posted by SlavetotheHonda
...Well needless to say, the car was so fun for a "low budget trash car" that I am going to sell it in February or so and trade into a 2009.
I don't get what you mean???

But I do know that you have great taste in oil filters. I use 'em in everything I own.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:33 AM
What I Am Trying To Get Across Is

Knowing I am probably going to trade by March should I waste my money on full synthetic and quality filters. I could save cash by buying Fram oil filter which is the worst filter made and buy off brand oil.
I figure by March the cars will come down a touch in price, no ripoff dealer add ons and a touch under MSRP. Buying now will cost me an extra 2K in my estimation.
Normally I buy only the best but in this case it seems like a waste of money. Only thing that concerns me is that God forbid I have major financial difficulties then I will be forced to stick with the car.
I never finance, only cash or I don't buy so I now own this car free and clear which is naturally a great feeling. If I love the 2009 so much and I for some reason can't swing a full cash deal I suppose I could get a 1-2K loan from my bank. Kinda complicates matters eh?

Old 08-15-2008, 09:46 AM
Knowing I am probably going to trade by March should I waste my money on full synthetic and quality filters. I could save cash by buying Fram oil filter which is the worst filter made and buy off brand oil.
More expensive oil and filters normally have more of a long-term impact. Forget about it for the next couple of months.. let the next owner worry about it, it will make little difference to the car.

Old 08-15-2008, 01:41 PM
I could save cash by buying Fram oil filter which is the worst filter made and buy off brand oil.
I am not wnating to start a flame war here, but I have had 7 cars since I started driving 22 years ago. All with only Fram filters and either Valvoline full synthetic or dino. 2 Chevy 350's, I put 180,000 on one and 284,000 on the other. My 97 Jetta 2.0L had 280,000, My wife's Element had 160,000 before getting an 08 element, and My 1985 boat (GM 350 block built by Volvo) has 1200+ hours on it at 3800 - 4000 RPM at cruise, all with only Fram filters.

My fit runs only on Fram filters and Valvoline 5w20 full synthetic.

The Honda filters, the ones with the Honda logo, are stamped "Honeywell", which is a sister to FRAM who is under Allied Signal, and has since taken the Honeywell name as the poarent company name and dropped Allied Signal name. All of these are part of this conglomerate now: Autolite, Fram, Prestone, Honeywell Auto, Holts, JURID, Bendix-North America, Bendix-Asia-Pacific, Blink. Along with most OEM filters that don't use the Bosch filters like the German and some French cars.

Use what makes you feel comfortable, but in this new world of Global corporations, remember that just because it says Pontiac Vibe on the outside doesn't mean that it isn't a Toyota Matrix on the inside.

Old 08-15-2008, 02:30 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Knowing I am probably going to trade by March should I waste my money on full synthetic and quality filters.

lol... aren't you the one with those expensive jetskii's as a hobby?

wtf is a $6 oil filter and $25 of oil? LOL

just change it.

Old 08-15-2008, 03:36 PM
Just A Suggestion

Check out the following data. Granted some of the data is related to motorcycle filters but it clearly shows the poor quality of Fram filters.Motorcycle Oil Filter Comparison

Motorcycle Oil Filters & Air Filters
In fact it specifically warns you to stay away from "low budget filters" with Fram being one of the worst in terms of filter material, valves, use of cardboard, etc. etc. Use whatever you like but Fram is notorious for very poor quality. Fram uses paper as a filter media. Paper is the worst material for filtering lubricants since moisture that is in all oils tends to break down the filter media. Also the amount of filter media is a factor. Fram uses very little paper filter media.

This last link is also VERY INFORMATIVE
Oil filter comparisons

Last edited by SlavetotheHonda; 08-15-2008 at 04:29 PM.
Old 08-16-2008, 04:18 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan

wtf is a $6 oil filter and $25 of oil? LOL

just change it.
Second this. I mean, if a filter was like $200 then yeah maybe it's worth considering, but come on -- if you spend more than $40 for top-grade oil and filter you're paying a lot. Change it.

Old 08-17-2008, 12:10 AM
5 Year Member
I use mobil 1 plus a supertech filter. The supertech (wallyworld) is really close to mobil 1 filters (iirc same co. manufacturers them) and is a bargain at $2 and change. Change the oil, maube even use a name brand filter if you trade it in. They may look at that upon trade in. Also, let us know what they offer for trade-in on an 09 please.

Old 08-17-2008, 06:40 AM
Wal Mart Filters Are Excellent

I was surprised and most are unaware of this. Simply look at the data. They are far superior to Fram and other name brands. I personally use the Pure One, it has a great "friction" cover that permits you to grab the filter easily.