General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

First tank done. 220 miles!??? Also highway driving

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 02:41 PM
First tank done. 220 miles!??? Also highway driving

I was wondering what Im doing wrong! My first tank is done and I got about 220+-10-15 miles (still have some gas left)

I was wondering if it will get better or what?

My second question is I go to school about 15 -20 miles away. How bad is it to cruise at 80mph? I leave my house and 80 gets me to school on time. But is it TO MUCH for my fit? right now I dont have school till the 18th (finish semester today) so my highway miles will be alot less but what should I be sticking at on the highway?

And on normal public roads what do you think I will be getting if I stay around 60-65 tops and shifting around 2500-3500.

THANKS

Old 08-05-2008, 03:13 PM
80 MPH isnt too much for it at all, its just not good for gas mileage. Sounds like you drive it pretty hard and its still on its first batch of oil?

At 220 ish, did your gas light come on? Theres still a good 50 miles left when the light turns on.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:25 PM
5 Year Member
My first tank was exactly the same. 220-230miles. Now at 5800 miles I'm getting about 280-290 miles at roughly 9.3 gallons per fillup.

I live in San Diego, so I'm constantly driving up hills everyday which is why I think my MPG isn't all that great. About 30-31mpg avg.

Learn how to accelerate slowly. Don't let the needle touch 3k rpms. See if that makes a difference.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:43 PM
Try this for starters:

1) Push your tire pressure up to 51 psi.

2) Drop your speed to 60 - 65 mph max

3) Shift at 2500 rpm

4) Keep your foot completely off the accelerator when moving down hill (I used to 'feather' my accelerator and didn't even know it)

Once you get used to the above you should also try:

1) Coasting in neutral when you don't have to worry about breaking

2) Pulse and glide

3) Ignition off coasting (also known as FAS - forced auto shut-off)

4) Switching to 0w20 synth at your first oil change

If you get good at the above you should'nt have any trouble with upper 30's to low-mid 40's.

--D

Old 08-05-2008, 05:05 PM
The gas light came on and I realized my tank was at about 250 when I went to the gas station (about 10 min ago)I only put in 6 bucks so tom Ill have to drive super slow 65-70 on the highway.But I do awsome when it comes to coasting or w.e its called. I always have the car in neutral when gliding somewhere.Dont gas on uphill.Dont floor it on starts..

when should I get my first oil change btw?And when the gas light comes on,How many gallons are still left in my fit? And how many gallons does the fit have also

Old 08-05-2008, 06:13 PM
Spend some time surfing around this forum first. All your questions will be answered on a broad spectrum and you can make your own decisions.

--D

Old 08-05-2008, 06:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fityfit
I was wondering what Im doing wrong! My first tank is done and I got about 220+-10-15 miles (still have some gas left)

I was wondering if it will get better or what?
The gas light came on and I realized my tank was at about 250
Yes you can do way better, if you really want to. A few of us have. Just today my E light just came on see pic
My sugestion is instead of asking... spend some time and read the notes in Scanggage schooling. Take carfull notes and do it. It's all in there.
PS 99% of the time the issue is how you drive the Fit not the Fit

Old 08-06-2008, 09:57 PM
Thanks, but how many gallons are left after the gas light comes on?
1?

Old 08-06-2008, 09:59 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks, but how many gallons are left after the gas light comes on?
1?
1.8 us on mine

Old 08-06-2008, 10:04 PM
5 Year Member
when should I get my first oil change btw?
When your oil life meter reaches 15-20%

Old 08-06-2008, 10:07 PM
Originally Posted by pcs0snq
1.8 us on mine
Wow really? So when my light comes on I will have around 30-40 miles left. Heard I should never let it drop that low since the sediment left on the tank will come up and go into the engine.

And 15%? isn't the first oil change suppose to be like withing the first 1k?

I even read within the first few 100 miles..Reason is because manufactures leave sediment and tiny scrap inside the engines when its all built.So when you first start up the car all the gets flushed and mixed around.

Old 08-07-2008, 12:08 AM
5 Year Member
To the OP: So you're saying you go 80mph on the highway and around 65 on public roads?

I'd like to know what public roads you're drivin' on =D

Slow down, Speed Racer, and you'll get better gas mileage. I rarely go above 5mph over the limit (45mph public roads, 65-70 on thehighway) and am getting a consistent 33mpg/320miles per tank.

And 15%? isn't the first oil change suppose to be like withing the first 1k?

I even read within the first few 100 miles..Reason is because manufactures leave sediment and tiny scrap inside the engines when its all built.So when you first start up the car all the gets flushed and mixed around.
First oil change at 15%. Yep. That should be around 4-5k miles, depending on how you drive.

And Honda isn't going to be so lazy and irresponsible as to leave metal shavings and such inside the engine. That would be considered poor manufacturing and assembly, IMHO.

Last edited by cojaro; 08-07-2008 at 12:11 AM.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:33 AM
5 Year Member
Damn dude. I get like 220 to 240 miles on a tank. But thats like 7 to 8 gallons.

Old 08-07-2008, 01:31 AM
5 Year Member
I get like 350/Tank.

from fill and stop at first click to light coming on. So so bad but some people CLAIM to get over 400miles.\

Old 08-07-2008, 01:45 AM
Originally Posted by junior40er
I get like 350/Tank.

from fill and stop at first click to light coming on. So so bad but some people CLAIM to get over 400miles.\
I guess my main problem was highway driving.80 mph seems to harsh on this car. Ill keep it 75 tops =-(.And about my gas light coming on, bad or not? dad says car cant be that low on gas because of what I posted earlier.true?

Old 08-07-2008, 01:03 PM
I guess my main problem was highway driving.80 mph seems to harsh on this car. Ill keep it 75 tops =-(.And about my gas light coming on, bad or not? dad says car cant be that low on gas because of what I posted earlier.true?
I've found in my Fit that I seem to get significantly better mileage going 65-70 vs 80 on the highway. The Fit is a low powered car with so so aerodynamics, so the speed difference really does affect mileage in this car. I use standard 32 psi pressure in my tires and employ only mild hypermiling techniques like coasting down hills and stoplights and use relatively relaxed acceleration most of the time. Sometimes I've got to step on it just to keep up with crazy Boston traffic. Even so, I'm averaging 33 MPG with city and highway driving. On a recent trip to western massachusetts, I drove slower (60-65) with slow acceleration and attained 38 MPG - my best ever.

Regarding the fuel light coming on, I don't think that I would worry to much about it except that I'm always paranoid about running out of gas as soon as it comes on and will fill up. As long as you're not running the tank completely dry, I wouldn't think it would cause any problems.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:22 PM
Originally Posted by ClaytonS15
I've found in my Fit that I seem to get significantly better mileage going 65-70 vs 80 on the highway. The Fit is a low powered car with so so aerodynamics, so the speed difference really does affect mileage in this car. I use standard 32 psi pressure in my tires and employ only mild hypermiling techniques like coasting down hills and stoplights and use relatively relaxed acceleration most of the time. Sometimes I've got to step on it just to keep up with crazy Boston traffic. Even so, I'm averaging 33 MPG with city and highway driving. On a recent trip to western Massachusetts, I drove slower (60-65) with slow acceleration and attained 38 MPG - my best ever.

Regarding the fuel light coming on, I don't think that I would worry to much about it except that I'm always paranoid about running out of gas as soon as it comes on and will fill up. As long as you're not running the tank completely dry, I wouldn't think it would cause any problems.
guess il stick to 70 =-(.but I filled up half way and today my car is down hald (from halfway line) and has about 50-60 miles on it (tachometer)..How do I calculate my MPG because this looks way to ridiculous.And I do alot of neautral coasting when pulling up somewhere, Dont ever flor it. Keeping shift between 2500-300. Sometimes in first ill go a bit higher since I need to get up on speed but that about it.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:59 PM
5 Year Member
The tach measures engine RPMs. The odometer measures how far you've gone.

Divide the number of miles you have for that tank by how many gallons it takes to fill up. Fill up when the light comes on, as that will be a better average of the sort of MPG you're getting.

Old 08-07-2008, 11:11 PM
Lol sorry brain fart.So ill top it off when the light comes on then test it out.Stick to some good driving conditions with tires around 35psi and I dont start school till the 18th so Wont be doing much highway.

Old 08-08-2008, 12:41 AM
5 Year Member
Aside from the sediment on the bottom of the tank being sucked up, going low on gas can also be bad on the fuel pump. (It is in the tank on the Fit right?) If the pump is in the tank, the gas helps to keep it cool which will prolong the life of it.

Quick Reply: First tank done. 220 miles!??? Also highway driving