General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Fought with a Pole, Pole won

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 07:00 PM
5 Year Member
Unhappy Fought with a Pole, Pole won

Anyone know how i can fix this? Can i fix it myself or should i take it to the body shop? The cuts aren't too deep, i believe that it was from a concrete wall, there's still pieces of the wall in the bumper, it hit the skirt on the bottom too.

If i have to get it fixed at a shop, how much would it cost? How long would my car be out? What would be the process of going about to fix it?
closer pic:

this a close up of the worst area, you can still see a piece of concrete there.

While I'm at it, i also got a nail imbedded into my tire, seriously such bad luck gets scrapped and gets a nail in the tire after 1 WEEK of owning it. But nevertheless love it to death.

The TPMS is going off about every 2 days, i checked it this morning it was at 23 psi, so lost about 10 psi over the course of 2 days. its in the tread area, and correct me if i'm wrong but i believe that you can repair these? what about the warentee? what can i do about that? should i call honda? or dunlop?
Location: inner tread of the driver rear tire. it seems to be a screw rather than a nail.

While i'm at it does anybody know what i can do with this crack on my SI's bumper?
Got into a fender bender with another car..

the crack is progressively getting bigger, i've asked people and they said either epoxy ( - is this safe) or drill a small hole in it, ( don't know if this is safe either)

close up:

Seem to have a bad streak in my garage and hitting things and things running into us.

I'm located in So-Cal does anyone know any reputable body shops that will do good work for a good price? or maybe i could just fix it myself!
Thanks!

Old 07-24-2008, 07:25 PM
5 Year Member
The tire should be repairable so just take it to a tire shop.
The Fit bumper will need to go to a body shop. You can try to paint it yourself but will not blend good at all. Just take it to the shop and have them repaint the bumper. Car is new so shouldn't be a problem to blend the paint.
Civic bumper can be epoxy. If you do anything do it soon.
Look like it's being stress from driving and getting bigger.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:36 PM
body shop for both, and get bigger mirrors ;p

Old 07-24-2008, 07:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fitting
The tire should be repairable so just take it to a tire shop.
The Fit bumper will need to go to a body shop. You can try to paint it yourself but will not blend good at all. Just take it to the shop and have them repaint the bumper. Car is new so shouldn't be a problem to blend the paint.
Civic bumper can be epoxy. If you do anything do it soon.
Look like it's being stress from driving and getting bigger.
I've heard that i should epoxy, but i'm really scared of messing it up, should i take the bumper off the car when i am doing this? or should i leave it it, because i need to put pressure on it in order to get it to get back to teh right place, i'd say about 5 lbs of pressure to get it to flush correctly.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:51 PM
5 Year Member
For the tire, you could get a DIY repair kit from the local shop but it will be a plug. I consider this a temporary repair although I've repaired tires this way with no problems - and it's cheap. For a real repair, you need to have a shop remove the tire and patch it from the inside.

For the front bumper, I had a similar repair on my minivan - scrapes on the plastic. The repair ran around $530 insurance cost (the van was rear ended, Northern VA metro repair rates). You should pay less if you cover the cost yourself. I suspect they smoothed the plastic shavings, filled the cuts with a putty made for these kinds of repairs, sanded then repaint/clear coat. My repair included replacement of the bumper step piece which you wouldn't need on the front. The repair on my rear bumper looked like factory when they were done.

I don't know what it would take to repair the split. The shop that repaired my rear bumper said repairing deep stress cracks would require replacing the plastic cover.

Last edited by Rob22315; 07-24-2008 at 08:53 PM.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:46 PM
5 Year Member
i was actually thinking that Dunlop would fix it without any questions asked, but maybe i'm mistaken. It's weird, our family has had 7 cars in the past 10 years and 2 of those cars have been fitted with dunlops and ONLY those tires are the ones who have been punctured, i'd say about a total of 10 sets of tires, only the dunlops have given us trouble, coincidence?

Old 07-24-2008, 09:55 PM
5 Year Member
body shop on the fit... dont know on the civic tire shop for the tire, that looks repairable

Old 07-24-2008, 10:15 PM
5 Year Member
lol, just bad luck with the dunlops...not a lotta tires'll repel a screw/nail. I remember seeing one set of tires that claimed to repel stuff like that so they wouldn't get punctured. If it happens, it happens though I guess.
For the body, mmm, if you're good with paint you could sand the area down, use some type of putty, forgot if bondo would work in this case, sand it smooth, repaint and you're good. If you know what you're doing ahead of time it can be done and look factory.
for the civic, epoxy would just hold teh 2 parts together. A drill hole at the end, same concept used for when I crack a cymbal or something. It's a temporary thing, it gives the crack nowhere else to keep going cause the drill hole will be smooth and no straight edges a crack is prone to start...unless there's more stress to it. But both those would been better if you coulda/woulda done it earlier in teh cracks umm, life(?).
Nother idea for the bumpers, take it off, tape it or secure the crack somehow so it's all flush and even with eachother, use some sorta putty, fill the crack in/make it smooth(shouldn't be much of a gap though I guess, paint it and call it a day...but make sure it's secure.
Nother aproach lol, it's ghetto but it works. Lotta drifters do this, zip ties. drill 4 holes, zip tie them together in an X formation. It's done a so when you hit a wall the peice will come off without doing as much damage as something that's screwed in...and also done to keep body parts together But it definitely doesn't look all to clean, unless the look of the car is a track car which I'm assuming it's not.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:25 PM
Eh that sucks, sorry to see that.

Honestly its not THAT bad. If I scraped my bumper like that, I'd probably leave it that way. Otherwise you are looking at getting a whole new bumper and having it repainted probably. Easily $500 or more. Not worth it IMO.

I could understand it it was bashed in or really mangled, that would make me crazy and I'd have to fix it. The scrapes I could live with though. You could even hit it with a little touch-up paint and it would be much less noticeable from a distance.

P.S. STOP driving on that tire. Put the spare on immediately and get that FIXED at a tire shop. It's not safe or smart to drive around with a screw in your tire like that!

No tire warranty covers a puncture like that. They aren't screw-proof tires man. It isn't Dunlop's fault you ran over a screw, sh*t happens. Getting the tire patches is cheap. Don't let them sell you a brand new tire either, you don't need it. If you want to get a new tire, you can buy 4 new ones on tire rack for next to nothing for this car that will be better than what the car came with and less expensive too. Read reviews on tire rack, the OEM tires suck, there are much better choices in the OEM size for less money.

Last edited by vtec just kicked in yo; 07-24-2008 at 10:30 PM.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:26 PM
Bummer on the pole. They will just replace the entire bumper. As for the screw in the tire, I got one in the first day with only 12 miles on my BBP Sport. I just had my trusted tire guy plug it with a stringy rubber plug and patch it on the inside. He then balanced the tire again to account for the weight of the patch. Just a few grams but it to do it right you should have it balanced again.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:51 PM
5 Year Member
good idea with the civic, i think i'll just epoxy it and drill a hole, but how would i do that and how big should the hole be?

i'll put a spare on and make sure that i get it fixed tommorow.

how much do you think it would cost to have the hole plugged?

thanks so much for your help guys!

Old 07-24-2008, 11:46 PM
5 Year Member
Plugs are usually anywhere from 10-20 bux, no biggie.

1st week we had our Pilot, something punctured the tire on the sidewall, not sure how, but we had to pay for a new tire at like 100 miles! Just bad luck is all.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:23 AM
Just take the tire to a gas station, they'll plug it for like 5 bucks. I ran over a nail a couple months ago too.

Sorry about the rest of the car. D:

Old 07-25-2008, 02:18 AM
5 Year Member

Should sorta look like that...lol, the drill hole could be a little higher. drill+epoxy seems like it'd be a decent idea too.
haah, somethin I just thought of. Do liek they do with drywall. cut out the hole(in this case the crack) and replace it...iono with what, but with something, then bondo and paint. That's more or less an experiment I wouldn't think you'd care to do though. And it'd be the harder(est)way.

Old 07-25-2008, 02:54 AM
Originally Posted by chrisng
good idea with the civic, i think i'll just epoxy it and drill a hole, but how would i do that and how big should the hole be?

i'll put a spare on and make sure that i get it fixed tommorow.

how much do you think it would cost to have the hole plugged?

thanks so much for your help guys!

Cracks propagate and spread along sharp margins and rough edges called stress risers. When you drill a hole at the end of the crack, it stops the crack from spreading. The hole doesn't have to be very big. This method of controlling cracks works well in metal, I'm not sure how well it will work on plastic, but you haven't got much to lose by trying.

Old 07-25-2008, 11:26 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by shazaam

Should sorta look like that...lol, the drill hole could be a little higher. drill+epoxy seems like it'd be a decent idea too.
haah, somethin I just thought of. Do liek they do with drywall. cut out the hole(in this case the crack) and replace it...iono with what, but with something, then bondo and paint. That's more or less an experiment I wouldn't think you'd care to do though. And it'd be the harder(est)way.

Hahaha did you draw that in paint, thanks so much for taking the time to do that. do you think you'd be able to see that hole if you were just looking at it like that, i'm a big detailing guy, and i would love for it to look like it did before, that's kind of why i'm scared to drill a hole.

Thanks for your help!

Old 07-25-2008, 11:27 AM
5 Year Member
I looked around, and what is the difference between the plug vs. patch from the inside. it seems to me that the plug is kind of a quick fix and not one that i would want to drive the whole life of the oem tires on, since they only have like 600 miles, i'm sure there's about 30,000 left on those, btw does anyone know if the fit has M & S tires? i saw that on the side wall and i was like what the heck, even with M&S it grips pretty well..

Old 07-25-2008, 11:52 AM
iHardpark
OUCH!!!! dude you can probably thank the head rest for the i backed into a one in the same spot because of the head rest

Old 07-25-2008, 03:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by chrisng
Hahaha did you draw that in paint, thanks so much for taking the time to do that. do you think you'd be able to see that hole if you were just looking at it like that, i'm a big detailing guy, and i would love for it to look like it did before, that's kind of why i'm scared to drill a hole.

Thanks for your help!
lol np, sadly yea the drill whole proly would be noticeable. Iono, honestly, first thing I'd have done is go to an autobody shop and ask em what they'd do :P Everytime I've gone to a mechanic or an autobody/detailing shop they've always told me either what was wrong and how to repair it/what they'd do lol.
Only way you won't be able to notice it as much as now would be bumper replacement or do liek I mentioned before....take the bumper off, get the crack so it's all flush with eachother(so it looks liek there is no crack basically) secure it like that somehow on the backside(tape, super glue...something really strong that'll keep the 2 halves from breaking their bond). Then leave it or sand the paint, and repaint so you can't really see the crack.
IMO, about anything you do will be a sorta temp. fix cause I'd just think the body shop would replace the bumper. Less labor for them and the customer(most customers) wold be happier knowing there's a new bumper with no crack whatsoever then one that has a crack which could possibly show up again.
Just looked at the pic again, if you wanna, you could prolly ziptie at the top where the bumper goes under the tail light. And here's an example of what the umm zip tieing looks like....
clean - http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q...a/S7000307.jpg
flavorlicious - http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/c...e/104_6465.jpg

Last edited by shazaam; 07-25-2008 at 03:38 PM.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:51 PM
5 Year Member
those are great! i love the little zip ties, but a little too messy for my tastes, i'm gonna take the bumper off, expoy it and then i'm going to try to put some putty on the inside,

NEW IDEA:

could i drill a whole in it, and then fill the hole with putty? and then paint over that?

Quick Reply: Fought with a Pole, Pole won