General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Now Fit has a true new competitor

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 09:14 AM
5 Year Member
Now Fit has a true new competitor

Yaris hatch is coming in 5 doors next month to the US: Motor Authority サ Five-door Toyota Yaris on sale in U.S. next month

Old 07-24-2008, 09:26 AM
what competition? The next gen Fit?

Old 07-24-2008, 09:27 AM
Retired Moderator
Yeah but we've had it for years. Nothing special. Just two extra doors that don't look like they belong haha...

Old 07-24-2008, 09:29 AM
5 Year Member
The reason didn't consider the Yaris before is because it only has 3 doors. Now it opens me up to more options, I am sure it's the same for a lot of potential buyers. 3 door hatch just has no practicality.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:37 AM
Retired Moderator
Yes but unfortunately for Toyota, they designed the 5 door on the 3 door. It should have been the other way around. When I took a look at it, it just looked like they threw in an extra set of doors with the available amount of space they had.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:44 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Illusive
Yes but unfortunately for Toyota, they designed the 5 door on the 3 door. It should have been the other way around. When I took a look at it, it just looked like they threw in an extra set of doors with the available amount of space they had.

Actually 5 door yaris/vitz has been around in Japan and Europe since 1 or 2 generations ago, it's more less designed for both body style from the beginning.

1999 Vitz:

Old 07-24-2008, 11:01 AM
Yep.. We've had the 5 door Toyota Echo for some time now too.. in the end, the interior is made of cheap plastic, the gauges are still in the center of the dash and... well, its just not as nice as our car.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:46 AM
In Canada We have had the 5 doors hatchback for a while. The Yars Hatchback is a nice car. Not as nice as the Fit. But it is alright. My gf's dad owns a 5 door Yaris Hatchback "RS" which is the sport model. It is not a bad looking car. But he does regret not looking into the Fit when he purchased his Yaris. He was glad when i went with a Fit over the Yaris.

~Jon~

Old 07-24-2008, 11:56 AM
5 Year Member
Thing's ugly. Only other "subcompact" I think I'd get right now is the matrix. Iono, love the body on em.

Last edited by shazaam; 07-24-2008 at 11:56 AM. Reason: i suck at spelling
Old 07-24-2008, 12:28 PM
As long as the yaris has the ghey center dash board & cheap interior ... I think that fits will stay on top!

Old 07-24-2008, 12:51 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
I looked at the Yaris and it looked cheap on the interior plus the gauge placement was like what were they thinking! It looks like a bubble coming down the road. I went down to look it over and just knew that it would not work for me so I did not even take it for a test drive. I had just driven the Honda Fit and was hopelessly and madly in love with that car. Even the Versa, Cobolt and Focus could not change my mind!

Cat

Old 07-24-2008, 01:45 PM
True competitor implies a car that is comparable in overall driving experience. The Yaris does not offer that, therefore it is not "true competition." I would consider the Nissan Versa and Kio Rio SX5 more worthy competitors.

Old 07-24-2008, 01:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Buck
True competitor implies a car that is comparable in overall driving experience. The Yaris does not offer that, therefore it is not "true competition." I would consider the Nissan Versa and Kio Rio SX5 more worthy competitors.

It's true competitor because:

Similar price
Similar size
Same amount of doors
Both hatchbacks
Both economy cars
Both weights about the same
Both Front wheel Drive
Both offers manual
Both get similar gas mileage
Both have rear drum breaks
Both have rear torsion beams

Nissan Versa and Kio Rio SX5 are all bigger than both the Fit and Yaris.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:23 PM
Originally Posted by hanzo

Similar price
Similar size
Same amount of doors
Both hatchbacks
Both economy cars
Both Front wheel Drive
Both offers manual

You say that like they're SUVS.

All those cars are competitors anyway.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:32 PM

Similar price
Similar size
Same amount of doors
Both hatchbacks
Both economy cars
Both Front wheel Drive
Both offers manual

Are they in the same class? Yes. Is the Yaris truly competitive? I don't think so. I think we may be hanging on semantics here.

My emphasis in on true competitor - a car that could go head-to-head with the Fit and win at least one out of every three comparison tests. The Yaris isn't that good. Consumer Reports can't even recommend it, and that's based on overall performance, not a deficiency in reliability or safety. We all know what kind of crazy car enthusiasts run that magazine (sarcasm).

As for your reasons, most are of little consequence, outside of size and price. I'm the same height and weight as rookie KC RB Jammal Charles, but that doesn't make me an NFL running back.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:36 PM
5 Year Member
The reason didn't consider the Yaris before is because it only has 3 doors. Now it opens me up to more options, I am sure it's the same for a lot of potential buyers. 3 door hatch just has no practicality.
Huh? My 3-door Civic hatch was one of the most versatile/practical cars I ever owned.

-Mike

Last edited by ghibli99; 07-24-2008 at 02:38 PM.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:36 PM
5 Year Member
I saw some pics of modded 5 doors. they looked pretty sweet.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ghibli99
Huh? My 3-door Civic hatch was one of the most versatile/practical cars I ever owned.

-Mike
But wouldn't it be even more practical if it had 2 more doors?

Old 07-24-2008, 02:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Buck
Are they in the same class? Yes. Is the Yaris truly competitive? I don't think so. I think we may be hanging on semantics here.

My emphasis in on true competitor - a car that could go head-to-head with the Fit and win at least one out of every three comparison tests. The Yaris isn't that good. Consumer Reports can't even recommend it, and that's based on overall performance, not a deficiency in reliability or safety. We all know what kind of crazy car enthusiasts run that magazine (sarcasm).

As for your reasons, most are of little consequence, outside of size and price. I'm the same height and weight as rookie KC RB Jammal Charles, but that doesn't make me an NFL running back.
In Japan they are consider competitors, Yaris even has an one make racing series. They are both consider K car class and plenty of tuners tune them. Best motoring even put them against each other on the track and so did Hot version on the touge.

Netz Cup Vitz Race 2008 レーサーで行こう

Last edited by hanzo; 07-24-2008 at 02:45 PM.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:52 PM
5 Year Member
i agree with hanzo that they are technically competitors, but here in the states, the versa,yaris,fit,rio....they are all in the same class, subcompact. (someone mentioned the matrix, but its not a subcompact, its a c class car, just a hatched corolla.) at any rate, the point is that the fit HAS had competition, just because the yaris is a 5 door now doesn't mean that honda has anything to worry about.

the last comparo i read that included all these cars in c/d put the rio ahead of toyota anyway. even the koreans have more regard to sporting intent!

i'm sure many tuners mod it, but a platform that already performs is more important to daily drivers.

that and the fact that the interior of the fit spanks on the yaris in every way imaginable.

and i understand what justin was saying about it basically being a 3 door with 2 more doors....some 4 door hatches are bigger than their 2 door bretheren.

my rabbit was like the yaris in this instance though: the 2 door and 4 door offered exactly the same amount of space, the 2 door just had shorter doors to compensate for the additional two.

NO biggie if you car is the size of the rabbit....but an issue when you are still dealing with the tiny amount of space the yaris has on the inside. not to mention how much bigger the hatch is on the fit.

Quick Reply: Now Fit has a true new competitor